How to farm for mimics?

Mimic farm has been working pretty well. Got at least 8. Still no cross necklace though, but I did get 2 starcloacks, and 5 more daggers...

I've noticed that my dart traps (which are there pretty much just to wake up any mimics that spawn) can also kill worms. If they can handle the worms, then I can make an afk volcano and truly go afk (with my hallowed mimic farm I couldn't do that because of the giant worms that spawned). Be nice if I could just leave the game and let it farm mimics for me.

And besides all that, my farm is also proving to be a nice source of income. While sitting there, I got more than a platinum of money. Of course, that was probably mostly thanks to the mimics. Mostly all that spawns really are toxic sludges, those black knights, occasionally a mummy (probably bc of all the sand) and a normal surface slime.

I also set up 100 mud underneath my campfire and seeded it with 36 jungle grass (that was all the seeds I owned). It seems to be growing nicely. Not sure if it'll finish growing before I get my cross necklace, but we'll see.

My mimic farm worked, finally got my cross necklace. Now, I'm sitting here in my trap again, farming gold so I can reforge everything with warding. Oh well.

That jungle thing really helped. I got at least 5 mimics in a short time. Too bad the game doesn't run when minimized. Oh well.

You can host a multiplayer server without steam integration enabled and put a password on it if you want to leave a farm running while the game is minimized.

I did that. And its obviously running. Sadly though, minimizing apparently only mutes the music, I can still hear mobs dying. Oh well. Maybe I can mute the game through the menu or something?

edit: I was able to just turn the volume all the way down.

I also got orichalum armor, and a starcloak, so I'm guessing my character won't be having any problems with worms. He wasn't to begin with anyway.

Oh well. I got what I want. Now to farm for gold, so i can re-forge all my items to 'warding'.

edit2: Afking on an online server reduces the spawn rate considerably. When not online, the thing spawns mobs non-stop, but when its multiplayer, minutes go by without a single thing spawning. They must have it set up that way to prevent using an afk exploit.

Last edited:
Okay now, this is getting stupid.

I managed to kill the destroyer, but the second time, he vanished because of dawn. The third time, he killed me. Fourth time, I killed him, next 5 times, he kills me, each time faster and faster. Now, even with all my gear, I can't survive more than a few seconds. And all I did was get a hallowed repeater and lifeforce and endurance potions. That's it. Same buffs, plus some, better weapon, and he slaughters me faster??? What, does he get stronger every time you summon him??? That's what it looks like.

I've given up trying to fight him. There's just no way I can handle him anymore. Seriously, I start the fight, I die five seconds later, even with star veil and endurance and lifeforce potions. Iron skin potions, thorn potions. And yes, I know his probes drop hearts, but even that doesn't negate the damage fast enough.

I don't know what I'm going to do now. I quit this game long before 1.2 came out, because I couldn't beat any of the mech bosses. I beat the destroyer a few times, but he was SO much easier back then. All you had to do was get a cross necklace, and you were indestructible. Now, I don't think it's even working. And yes, I have it equipped.

If he's that much harder now, I don't see anyway I can beat the twins (if they got the same buff that destroyer did, they could instant kill me before the fight even starts).

Boss stats are static and do not increase with each defeat. The only stats that increase are HP, and that's only if you're in expert multiplayer with other people.

Destroyer's head does a lot more damage than the rest of its body does. Perhaps you're just trying to facetank it and taking damage from its head and not its body? Watch for where its head is on the minimap and dodge appropriately.

Are you playing on expert, by chance?

Last edited:
No, and he rarely touches me. His lasers are what keeps killing me. I've also noticed that mobs for the biome seem to spawn faster when I'm fighting him.

Okay, game spawned the twins on me. Yeah, I don't stand a chance. He regenerates faster than I can damage him...with a hallowed repeater and jester arrows.

I'm starting to think again that this is futile. I may as well just put my character into a new pre-hardmode world, since obviously I can't deal with it.

Regeneration? I'm not even sure what you're talking about at this point.

All I can really suggest at this point is just practicing the bosses and learning how they attack so you can dodge them better.

If you can't defeat them though, then there's honestly not any shame in just going back to a pre-hardmode world if you just want to build and explore things, and just trade with other players for stronger gear. A sandbox game is what you make of it.

What could I possibly 'trade' for??? I can't even beat the mech bosses, all I have is trash that anyone can get before defeating them. I mean seriously, I've pulled so many cross necklaces and every other possible item from mimics, I started selling them because each item would've taken up an entire chest!

There are people like me that will happily trade for resources such as iron/lead, sand, and souls simply because we have more hoarded items laying around than we can use, but not enough consumable goods to use them on.

Sadly, trading is just.. really slow around here at times. A lot of people will just use an all items map, or they've already got everything they want.

I managed to kill the destroyer, but the second time, he vanished because of dawn. The third time, he killed me. Fourth time, I killed him, next 5 times, he kills me, each time faster and faster. Now, even with all my gear, I can't survive more than a few seconds. And all I did was get a hallowed repeater and lifeforce and endurance potions. That's it. Same buffs, plus some, better weapon, and he slaughters me faster??? What, does he get stronger every time you summon him??? That's what it looks like.

I've given up trying to fight him. There's just no way I can handle him anymore.

He's not getting any stronger. He's exactly as strong as the first time you fought him, only now you actually have better gear because you have some of his drops.

Okay, game spawned the twins on me. Yeah, I don't stand a chance. He regenerates faster than I can damage him...with a hallowed repeater and jester arrows.

The Destroyer does not regenerate health . . . virtually no enemies do.

Fight Biome Mimics (Hallow, Corrupt, Crimson). They really aren't that hard and they have fantastic drops. You can even spawn them manually by crafting Key of Night/Light from Souls of Night/Light and putting them in an empty chest. You should be more than capable of handling them with a ranged weapon and wings at this point in the game.

One thing to point out is that it seems as if you are assuming the Destroyer is the easiest Mech Boss . . . this isn't necessarily the case. He USED to be the easiest, but he was strengthened significantly. Generally, and at least in my opinion, Skeletron Prime is the easiest mech boss now, and unlike the Destroyer, he is susceptible to Ichor, which really makes things a lot easier.

Last edited:

I'm starting to think again that this is futile. I may as well just put my character into a new pre-hardmode world, since obviously I can't deal with it.
Try different strategies. You can't always face them headon. For the Twins I recommend using a few Gravitation Potions. Fall either up/down and fire a ranged weapon at where you think Spazmatism is (deal with that one first). I have won using a Minishark with Crystal Bullets. Star Cannon is good too.

Last edited:
I actually crafted a megashark using the souls of might the destroyer dropped. Haven't used it though, haven't really done much with guns (besides the laser pistol thing, the thing you use with meteorite armor? that's possibly my favorite armor set, and weapon). I guess I'll look into what kinds of bullets I can craft for it. I'm fairly certain it'll eat up my ammo pretty fast, so I guess I'm going to have to load all 4 of my ammo slots with bullets?

Fought skeletron prime, using my megashark with 4 full stacks of cursed bullets. Won both times, though it was rough. Its nearly impossible to dodge him with 4 hands, which seem to have pretty good AI.

Built myself a flamethrower, now I'm using my mimic farm to farm for gel (toxic sludges seem to be the most common spawn for that farm). I also got to test out my flamethrower, thanks to an eclipse. Damn, the dps on that thing!

Also, thanks to two skeletron kills, I got enough hallowed bars to make hallowed armor. Not sure where to go from here though. Don't know if its worth it to kill the twins at this rate. I mean, I already have hallowed armor and some pretty good weaponry.

to spawn a mimic try finding a chest statue and put a pressure plate next to it ,then,put 2 wire on to of plate and chest,step on plate and boom mimics!please note this way they will only drop mimic banners

Fought skeletron prime, using my megashark with 4 full stacks of cursed bullets. Won both times, though it was rough. Its nearly impossible to dodge him with 4 hands, which seem to have pretty good AI.

Built myself a flamethrower, now I'm using my mimic farm to farm for gel (toxic sludges seem to be the most common spawn for that farm). I also got to test out my flamethrower, thanks to an eclipse. Damn, the dps on that thing!

Also, thanks to two skeletron kills, I got enough hallowed bars to make hallowed armor. Not sure where to go from here though. Don't know if its worth it to kill the twins at this rate. I mean, I already have hallowed armor and some pretty good weaponry.
You have to defeat The Twins in order for the next stepping stone to become available.

You have to defeat The Twins in order for the next stepping stone to become available.

I also noticed that I can built a 'fairy bell' if I had souls of sight. Right now though, I'm going to be focusing on building probably. I need to make a new greenhouse, my supply of day bloom has finally run out. I made an alternate small world for statue hunting, but seeing as how 'pure' sand is becoming rare on my current world, I may go there to farm some sand to build my greenhouse (I normally build it out of glass). Also thinking about making a slime generator since well I do have 2 bird statues, so I can make a bird engine (already did so once), and I think I have a slime statue or two. I'm thinking that would be a much more efficient way of getting gel for my new flamethrower.

You can also make Drax and the Optic Staff (both are quite useful). As for making a Slime Generator thats a good idea now that you have a Flame Thrower. Instead of using Bird statues though, use yourself (in a hoik). Save your birds for future builds.
Gel Generator.jpg

Last edited:
I don't even understand how that thing's supposed to work. What, am I supposed to sit there for half an hour pressing a and d rapidly over and over???

Back
Top Bottom