In-depth Hardmode weapon tier list

I think A tier is fair for both of the weapons.
Moved both Tactical Shotgun and Sniper Rifle to A. Hatchet can stay at A+ because it does the same thing as the guns without eating chlorophyte, it can be imbued with ichor, and it seems to do much better than the shotgun when the enemy has high defense (most of my testing was against fishron). Scourge is S.

I suppose i saw the guns as B because they didn't seem too popular with most people, but maybe that's just a case of people not recognizing their value.

I suppose i saw the guns as B because they didn't seem too popular with most people, but maybe that's just a case of people not recognizing their value.
Maybye that's because a lot of people like to do class playthroughs and a fast homing weapon is pretty rare among melee weapons.

I've noticed the Resonance Scepter from 1.4.1 is missing (it can be dropped from the Princess NPC).

also, according to my own rating system, venus magnum is F rank because you are literally crippling yourself by using it.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought it was that bad, especially considering it was ranked B in this tier list. I haven't used that weapon, is it because of the lack of autofire?

I've noticed the Resonance Scepter from 1.4.1 is missing (it can be dropped from the Princess NPC).

Wow, I wouldn't have thought it was that bad, especially considering it was ranked B in this tier list. I haven't used that weapon, is it because of the lack of autofire?
Venus Magnum is a fun weapon, it has much highter potential DPS than the Megashark, but without autofire is virtually impossible to get that and firing as quickly as possible with it is quite a challenge for your fingers.

I was mostly joking around. (When I said crippling, I meant that it physically cripples you.) Its performance is good, but using it feels awful.

Baconfry, good find about desert tiger, I have been searching for 2 days and failed
With 9 minion slots + spooky armor on EoL it does 1300dps without whip,1500 on fishron
Same as piranha gun+ shroomite-hallowed combo.
Honestly, its a summoner piranha gun now
Latches similarly, has similar dps, similar behaviour on crowds (+charges sometimes)
And its rank therefore is similar, A/A+
Overall performance of summoner build is higher, since you are free to use any other weapon/whip, ranger with piranha cannot do that

P. S. that numbers with firecracker...
S tier, agree, 30k dps in pumpkin moon /4k on fishron is funny for a dungeon weapon
Interesting, how does the tag dmg formula work with this and stardust dragon?
Does e. g. kaleidoscope add 20 dmg to total or to base dmg, or changes per-slot scaling

I was not joking about fast non-autofire weapons, they are quite annoying for me

Last edited:
P. S. that numbers with firecracker...
S tier, agree, 30k dps in pumpkin moon /4k on fishron is funny for a dungeon weapon
Interesting, how does the tag dmg formula work with this and stardust dragon?
Does e. g. kaleidoscope add 20 dmg to total or to base dmg, or changes per-slot scaling

Summon tag effects don't scale with Tiger or Dragon slots unfortunately, Kaleidoscope merely adds 20 flat damage per hit plus the crit chance.
would be kinda broken if it did though

I think the Daedalus stormbow should be S- but that's just my opinion.
It was nerfed too much for that, and the dart guns are stronger anyway (so start using them for boss kills instead, people. Cursed Darts are even better at killing the destroyer than Holy Arrows now.)

One little recommenadion for desert tiger*:
In crowded situations (martians, including 1st saucer's form pumpkin/frost moon) recast it continiously, like ballistas
It does pouncing attacks per each recast
On pumpkin moon, dps is no far behind of stardust dragon
I swear I like it almost as vampire knives

*Efficiency of recasting is under question as for now. As for dense crowds of more than 7-8 ememies – it seems to work.

Last edited:
Entirely possible that I’m just using it wrong, but I don’t really understand why Nightglow is ranked so highly; in my experience I’ve always found that boss defense negates most of the damage & just leads to numbers in the 20s or lower, and crowds expand on this problem by dispersing the shots in a way that deals minimal damage to each of the enemies. When compared to Razorblade Typhoon among other more powerful, easier-to-obtain replacements, it especially feels subpar to me; it just seems like an inordinate amount of work to put towards something that’s basically obsolete if you’ve already fought Fishron or got lucky enough to obtain a Seedler. I feel this can be said for a lot of Empress’s weapons in general since I don’t really feel it fits into progression all that well, but that’s an entirely different discussion.

I feel like this weapon would have a lot more merit if it followed in Arkhalis’ footsteps by ignoring a set amount of enemy defense; otherwise, I just don’t really feel like it stacks up to anything else available at that point in the game. Plantera has a pretty decent chance of spitting Seedler at you, and even if you’re doing a mage-only playthrough there are plenty of other options that don’t warrant going out of your way to obtain this weapon the way I see it. Feel like it would be better suited around the B range

Last edited:
Entirely possible that I’m just using it wrong, but I don’t really understand why Nightglow is ranked so highly; in my experience I’ve always found that boss defense negates most of the damage & just leads to numbers in the 20s or lower, and crowds expand on this problem by dispersing the shots in a way that deals minimal damage to each of the enemies. When compared to Razorblade Typhoon among other more powerful, easier-to-obtain replacements, it especially feels subpar to me; it just seems like an inordinate amount of work to put towards something that’s basically obsolete if you’ve already fought Fishron or got lucky enough to obtain a Seedler. I feel this can be said for a lot of Empress’s weapons in general since I don’t really feel it fits into progression all that well, but that’s an entirely different discussion.

I feel like this weapon would have a lot more merit if it followed in Arkhalis’ footsteps by ignoring a set amount of enemy defense; otherwise, I just don’t really feel like it stacks up to anything else available at that point in the game. Plantera has a pretty decent chance of spitting Seedler at you, and even if you’re doing a mage-only playthrough there are plenty of other options that don’t warrant going out of your way to obtain this weapon the way I see it. Feel like it would be better suited around the B range
Nightglow has better dps against bosses, while razorblade typhoon lingers longer making it better for crowd control.

Also 'boss defense negates most of the damage leading to 20s or lower...' Do you even have a build? The more damage bonuses you have the less relevant enemy defense becomes.
1608731401762.png

(all menacing) Even on this summoner focused build the nightglow is able to get more dps against Empress of light than the razorblade typhoon. I'm not even considering ichor or bety's wraith, when those are used there's no competition.

hahaha but summoner is 2 def and run away lol only like, 27 def for hallowed summoner, hood has lower def than cobalt MAGE helm
Defense doesn't matter that late in the game. Also if you actually know how to play summoner you won't just be running away because you'll either be impure and shredding everything with a ranger weapon or using a whip.

Defense doesn't matter that late in the game. Also if you actually know how to play summoner you won't just be running away because you'll either be impure and shredding everything with a ranger weapon or using a whip.
*turtles can still murder u easily doing their backflips, and pillars are just nightmares without def, moons lord laser is P A I N*

*turtles can still murder u easily doing their backflips, and pillars are just nightmares without def, moons lord laser is P A I N*
You ever played expert? No matter how much defense you have, none of those are going to matter because those things will still take you out in two shots with defense. Just spec into mobility. You won't need to protect against hits because literally nothing will hit you anyway. Use Damage Reduction or Regeneration and you'll instantly see how defense isn't even the strongest defensive stat by a long shot.

Last edited:
Turtles can easily be interrupted with a weapon or minion when performing their "backflips" and fighting the pillars is a nightmare even with defense. Also the moon lord's deathray is very easy to dodge, it's very predictable and you just need room.
Also, as @Derpling SnΩ said, defense isn't a useful defensive stat compared to damage reduction or dodge chance.

hahaha but summoner is 2 def and run away lol only like, 27 def for hallowed summoner, hood has lower def than cobalt MAGE helm

You completely missed the point, @qwerty3.14 was pointing out that nightglow is hardly effected by defense and outpreforms razorblade typhoon against singular bosses even without a mage focused build. Summoner had nothing to do with it except as an example of a non-mage oriented build.

Back
Top Bottom