In-depth Hardmode weapon tier list

Well, why would I want to grind 5 hours for weak armor and accessoreis that barely boost weak items (acually stardust armor is so much better than solar flare (not def tho)
pre-boss, hardmode: spider staff and armor defininely take 5 hrs to get, firecracker has the same drop chance as clockwork rifle + lategame utility (with desert tiger)

With this you kill Dreadnautilus, hard and a bit grindy, but sanguine staff (now it has 100% drop chance) is as strong as best single target ranged weapons, excluding daedalus and darts
You can also combine them, e. g. dart pistol+ ichor darts while using full summoner with sangune bats
You'll kill Queen slime with these and obtain blade staff (decent drop chance), a nice addition, especially with tag dmg whips.
All whips are easily craftable.
Consider using forbidden set, its also does well with bats

Mechs: are not a problem with these, optic staff is easily craftable too

Plantera: basically no changes, only some new options for secondary weapons, like chlorophyte shotbow + ichor arrow/ imbued true swords, death sickle
You can not use these, if you are pure summoner

Post-plant: here its a bit grindy, yes, because now desert tiger + firecracker are the best. Performance is well worth it.
But warriors, for example, should grind too, as they defininely want 2 keys instead of one (crimson+ corruption) and 2-3 gloves to speed up terra blade

Defeat pumpkin moon: dark harvest has same drop chance as other weapons, accessories are fairly easy acessible too

EoL: kaleidoscope has the same drop chance as other loot, again

Martians: xeno staff has same drop chance as other weapons, what a surprise

Lunar: 18 fragments for dragon defininely mean 18 defeated stardust pillars :)

And, as a bonus – hard to obtain, but not grindy terraprisma – the most powerful pre-lunar weapon among all classes

So its not that grindy and not weak

Last edited:
Well, why would I want to grind 5 hours for weak armor and accessoreis that barely boost weak items (acually stardust armor is so much better than solar flare (not def tho)
I don’t even know what you’re talking about but summoner is not weak and doesn’t take nearly as much grinding as the other classes (spider armor takes much less time than titanium and you can totally get away with using hallowed armor until endgame after that). You really need to realize that defense is the third worst stat in the game. Also, what summoner accessories are weak and/or take any time at all to obtain?

The only summoner item that is hard to obtain is the Slime Staff.
I could make an argument that there is a meta item for every other class that is way harder to obtain at each stage of the game.
Offensive builds work much better for most bosses than defensive bosses, especially bosses that like to insta-kill you like WoF, Moon Lord and EoL.
The only reason summoner is still considered the worst class is because most boss burst set ups required max damage sets for other classes; summoner had a taste of that before obsidian armor nerf where they could kill some bosses extremelly quickly, now there's fewer option to do that.
Melee is the only class that can really use defense effectively and that's usually not for boss fights, but to tank weaker attacks.

Nightglow has better dps against bosses, while razorblade typhoon lingers longer making it better for crowd control.

Also 'boss defense negates most of the damage leading to 20s or lower...' Do you even have a build? The more damage bonuses you have the less relevant enemy defense becomes.
View attachment 302711
(all menacing) Even on this summoner focused build the nightglow is able to get more dps against Empress of light than the razorblade typhoon. I'm not even considering ichor or bety's wraith, when those are used there's no competition.
Granted, I'm not using accessories solely dedicated to boosting damage, but I've got a few magic damage ones in there plus mage chlorophyte. I personally have just never found its performance to be all that impressive - typhoon's swarmy nature just seems like a much more effective way of dealing with enemies, and even with mage accessories I don't really find nightglow to be anything to write home about against bosses around that point in progression

The only summoner item that is hard to obtain is the Slime Staff.
I've actuallty had more difficulty getting the finch staff

obsidian armor nerf where they could kill some bosses extremelly quickly, now there's fewer option to do that.
Obsidian armor summoner is still really strong, the flinx staff is extremely reliable and attacks very quickly, synergising with whip bonuses very well, and then you add the whip's dps on top of that.

The only reason summoner is still considered the worst class is because most boss burst set ups required max damage sets for other classes; summoner had a taste of that before
Most good hardmode offensive builds rely on summoning to some extent, they aren't pure summoner though.

Venus Magnum is a fun weapon, it has much highter potential DPS than the Megashark, but without autofire is virtually impossible to get that and firing as quickly as possible with it is quite a challenge for your fingers.
On mobile everything is auto fire

A couple of words about legendary terraria sword, the Terra blade –
In description: "Due to piercing mechanics, the combined DPS of the blade and beam is not high enough to be worth the risk"

I have a different experience.
On enemies it always stacks.
Projectile, 1 ice queen (stationary attack): 2300-2500 dps
Sword only is 3900-4100 dps.
Sword + projectile: 6500-7000 dps – damage is combined

The most interesting part:
Meowmere: 3500 projectile only
5500 sword only
And 5700-5900 both, does not stack (results are within error)
Star wrath and flying dragon do the same.

For a quick proof, try these swords against everscreams and santanks with and without projectiles

This happens with all enemies and terra blade seems to be the only sword that stacks its damage with piercing projectiles

P. S. 3-frame speed with beetle scale mail and dark harvest buff in all-menacing-lucky build

Last edited:
I've actuallty had more difficulty getting the finch staff

Obsidian armor summoner is still really strong, the flinx staff is extremely reliable and attacks very quickly, synergising with whip bonuses very well, and then you add the whip's dps on top of that.

Most good hardmode offensive builds rely on summoning to some extent, they aren't pure summoner though.
Absolutely, I only bring its pre-nerf status because it was nightmarish strong early game, you could bring WoF down without a bridge or touching lava reasonably easily with Spinal Tap.
Summoner still takes a bit longer in most cases to defeat bosses but it's definitely a viable class nowadays.

For a quick proof, try these swords against everscreams and santanks with and without projectiles
It seems like Everscream is the only one that truly takes massive damage from this combo due to its size, which causes it to take damage twice from a single beam. Against the slightly smaller Santa-NK1 I was pulling numbers like:

(beetle scale mail) ~1600 beam, ~4600 combined
(hallowed/monk/squire) ~1800 beam, ~3700 combined

Presumably, this is because Santa-NK1 is large enough that the beam can still hit it after the iframes from the blade have worn off. When testing against Target Dummies, it becomes rather obvious that small enemies are not meant to get hit by both the blade and beam in one swing.

So whether it's worth the risk or not depends on whether you think it's a good idea to stand on top of a big enemy like Santa-NK1 or Everscream while trying to attack with the blade. Personally I don't think it's worth it, and I don't think it's worth running a suboptimal armor set like Beetle, either.

It seems like Everscream is the only one that truly takes massive damage from this combo due to its size, which causes it to take damage twice from a single beam. Against the slightly smaller Santa-NK1 I was pulling numbers like:

(beetle scale mail) ~1600 beam, ~4600 combined
(hallowed/monk/squire) ~1800 beam, ~3700 combined

Presumably, this is because Santa-NK1 is large enough that the beam can still hit it after the iframes from the blade have worn off. When testing against Target Dummies, it becomes rather obvious that small enemies are not meant to get hit by both the blade and beam in one swing.

So whether it's worth the risk or not depends on whether you think it's a good idea to stand on top of a big enemy like Santa-NK1 or Everscream while trying to attack with the blade. Personally I don't think it's worth it, and I don't think it's worth running a suboptimal armor set like Beetle, either.
Against 1 dummy (solar flare set) it varies, sometimes it around 7k for sword+beam, sometimes 3.5-4k
In the absolutely same situation!
My assumption would be: if the 1st beam attack is during sword's i-frames, then all consecutive beam attacks do not count (or vice versa)
Against lunatic cultist (small enemy) – it behaves the same
All other swords are stable, thats why I thought that only terra has this ability, seems kinda random, so investing in melee speed is indeed not a reliable choice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom