Is generation of Hallow and Crim/Cor on WoF death fixed?

Jabberwocky

Skeletron Prime
I used to play a while back and I seem to remember being able to alt-F4 out if the Darkness and Hallow didn't go where I wanted them, but now they always seem to hit the same spot.
Has this been changed at some point? My Darkness keeps hitting my Jungle and doesn't even move back and forth... in olden times I had a similar problem, but one of my re-tries had the Darkness go the same way.... but closer to town and hit the Desert instead. I could go for that, but in two different worlds the Darkness always seems to hit the exact same spot now.

I've just defeated and re-loaded my save roughly 20 times and the hallow & crimson spawn on the same sides everytime (crimson on left where jungle is and hallow on right side where dungeon is.) The strips are even spawning at the same exact positions each time, no matter what side WOF is spawned and killed on. ( found a thread started back in 2014 that showed consistent alterations in position of stripes based on where what side WOF is killed on.)

I tried moving my bed spawn point and all town npcs away from the snow biome back close to center cuz thought maybe hallow was going on the right to prevent my npcs from having to immediately move from being to close to crimson if it spawned on that side.

One question i have, is how can crimson/corruption completely corrupt a jungle? As i understand, mud gets turned to dirt and if below 0 depth, it wouldn't grow grass, therefor not being able to further spread the evil below 0. So only mud blocks within 3 tiles from a stone/corrupt block would be turned to dirt.. right?​

One question i have, is how can crimson/corruption completely corrupt a jungle? As i understand, mud gets turned to dirt and if below 0 depth, it wouldn't grow grass, therefor not being able to further spread the evil below 0. So only mud blocks within 3 tiles from a stone/corrupt block would be turned to dirt.. right?​
Brambles and vines can bridge gaps and also spread it / be contaminated by it.

Thanks for the reply Jabberwocky, although im not sure what brambles are. I also am pretty sure i remember reading that when a mud block turns into crimson, it destroys any vines on that block. But i just realized after walking around in my jungle that the mud corrupted into dirt still has grass on it, even in cavern layer.. maybe thats just cuz its still technically jungle biome since not enough crimson is around yet.

I am pretty bummed i cant get hallow to switch sides. I spent a long time preparing and end up with the evil strip between both quarantine hellevators, basically starts and ends between them in my jungle.

Thanks for the reply Jabberwocky, although im not sure what brambles are. I also am pretty sure i remember reading that when a mud block turns into crimson, it destroys any vines on that block. But i just realized after walking around in my jungle that the mud corrupted into dirt still has grass on it, even in cavern layer.. maybe thats just cuz its still technically jungle biome since not enough crimson is around yet.

I am pretty bummed i cant get hallow to switch sides. I spent a long time preparing and end up with the evil strip between both quarantine hellevators, basically starts and ends between them in my jungle.
Brambles are those things that grow over grass and hurt to walk through. Thorns. Since Jungle grass can also generate it and it can be infected and spread infection, it can really help move infection through the Jungle. Also, vines can be infected with Crimson and spread it. There are Crimson vines, but no Corruption vines, which is why Corruption destroys vines.

r4v1n6, I saw another thread started in July with a guy who had this problem even after 100 attempts, so it wasn't fixed it looks like. Although, i never knew it was a problem before, i only started Terraria again about a month ago and am just now starting hardmode 1st time, (or rather, trying to). Link to the July thread i mentioned HERE.

Brambles, gotcha. I'm considering starting a new world. This time i'd probably do a medium instead of large. I've spent a month tho progressing in my current world :/

Last edited:
I fiddled with it again for a half-dozen tries and yeah, it's completely set in stone. But I remember months ago (in the spring. Or late winter? Thereabouts.) playing and getting infection to hit desert instead of jungle after a couple of tries, because I didn't want to deal with infected jungle, so my anecdotal evidence is that it used to vary and now it doesn't.

@r4v1n6, I wasn't aware it was necessarily a bug.
V stripes were definitely random back in 1.2.4.1 / 1.3. I don't remember any release notes saying the V stripes are now fixed. Maybe you could confirm if it's intentional the V stripes are fixed, or if they are supposed to be random?

After reading some other threads, it seems to me that the randomization of the V strips was messed up in some update, but being as exiting w/out saving involves a small work-around (closing game using the taskbar), it appears the devs don't think its a problem since they didn't intend for us to exit w/out saving. But it was also intended for the hardmode V to be random..

One point i think is worth pointing out, is that getting either corruption or crimson when creating a world was always a 50/50% chance, but in 1.3.2 they added an option after defeating the WOF to choose which one you want, since people were going through the motions to get what they wanted anyway.

I understand the reasoning of not having the ability to choose which side gets hallow vs coruption/crimson, and generally i would opt for anything that increased difficulty, but having crim. go right through the jungle, i just don't see how you would fix or control that without literally replacing all dirt blocks w/ mud manually. If clementator changed jungle biome back to mud somehow, i wouldn't be bothered as much w/ jungle being infected.

Aye, after a while I get tired of having to rip tunnels through my map every 200' just to clentaminate infection until it's under control... if it doesn't hit the Jungle, I don't worry much about it except to carve a buffer out to keep it from getting too close to town or Jungle. But with how fast it can tear through Jungle and how it destroys it completely, I REALLY don't like it hitting my Jungle. It's a lot of extra work to preserve a biome that's great when it's natural.

I created a new world and have been dreading rebuilding all the things in my current world. Then i thought i should just use Tedit to copy and paste my stuff from current world to new. After reading about TEdit features and looking at whats new since i last used it long time ago, it appears that i'll be able to simply convert the crimson strip to hallow and vice versa. Seems like i could achieve the same results using either the "morph" tool or "brush" tool while setting the specific masking settings accordingly.

Just thought you may like to know this, as for now, it's the best work around i can find/think of and while avoiding starting over on a new world.

Also, you can use Cheat Sheet's copy/paste tools to copy buildings in one world, then save & exit and go to another world and paste it. Interesting note: If you paste a building in ground without background, you'll still have to dig to the building and then dig all the dirt/stone/etc out of the various rooms, remove the natural walls and put new walls in. It's a hassle, but it's helped me preserve some natural formations while still installing buildings inside them. If you paste with background, it's a big rectangle including the extra air around the structure that will destroy local formation... not a problem at ground level, but sad to see if you have a nice hillside or large floating rock you're trying to preserve.

I like building, sometimes, but after a while one of the main things I dislike about starting a new world (besides the direction of the infection part of the V) is having to build housing. I have a lot of buildings scattered around other worlds, so this has made it easy for me to skip some drudge work. I'm no artist, but here's part of my current world's town, all structures copy/pasted from elsewhere, except the Angler's cave. Note that the middle structure's outer-room walls look pretty natural, but I actually had to knock it out and re-did that myself after I dug out the remaining dirt, clay, and stone filling each room post-paste. The lower-left structure I pasted with background to rip out a rectangle, then I filled in the back side of it with dirt myself, and replaced the dirt and leaf walls outside.

natural ground.jpg

(There's a demon altar and immediate access to an underground fishing pool right below the bottom of the pic; more natural stuff I didn't want to rip up.)

Thats a nice base you got there. I do like how you have the surroundings in a natural shape/formation. And yeah I've used cheat sheet before when i was planning my current base. I made a backup of my player, installed cheat sheet, built a base, and took screen-shots so i can replicate w/out the mod, but only backed up the player, not the world :p So i just trashed some materials to make up for the free base.

Well, thanks for starting this thread and discussing it, hopefully enough people want random V spawns that it gets more consideration.

I'm pretty sure this struggle with contamination is the entire point of the Corrupt/Crim Hallow strips

Back
Top Bottom