Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Interesting idea for Guillotines, I've been brainstorming solutions for it. Not sure I'm convinced that Light Discs should be the same, given how many you can put down range at once, would have to test it.

I don't think the change would break the Discs. They are supposed to compete with Megashark and Rainbow Rod (even if those two are a bit overtuned) and it will weaken them at long range since at one point you'd have to wait for the 5 of them to come back to you. I'm theory crafting, though.

4. You can buy Unholy Arrows directly, not sure they need an adjustment. Jester Arrows are on my radar though.

The recipe is still pretty ridiculous, that's the part that needs to be looked into IMO. It's one of the three uses for Worm Teeth after all.

Jester's Arrows do feel strong enough to deserve a nerf. Maybe if all knockback was removed when using them?

2. I'd have to re-assess them, they are kind of a weird place. Super rare, but they are pre-mech, so its a strange situation with them.

The Clowns should be guaranteed to drop at least one on every kill. I think they are efficient enough as weapons, it's the "only 0.1% of the playerbase has ever gotten a full stack of 10" that's the problem.

6. When we designed Black Spot, the original goal was "a mount that's good for doing long distance travel, and bad for fights", and it just didn't really occur to us that people would use it for boss kiting, and that wasn't intended. So yeah, its probably going to get nerfed pretty substantially, which I'm sad to see, because its fun, but it ended up being used in a way that was more broken than we intended.

What if we weren't able to use weapons while riding at full speed? It wouldn't totally kill it as an infinite flight mount (you can still use it to kill an enemy or two without unmounting) and it keeps the theme of Master Mode being only vanity/convenient mounts.

Last edited:
Unless you guys wanna either add another enemy to PreHardmode enemy to Sandstorms that drop it or make Pyramids actually accessible in all worlds, with some sort of challenge present in getting it besides having the patience to sit through making a ton of worlds just to get a few items that won't even last you through the whole game, I've got nothin' for you. I don't know what the exact reason is for you being unable to just throw Pyramid items into the Oasis Crate since there was no problem with throwing the Water Walking Boots, Lava Charm, and even the Enchanted Sword into crates, and that last one suffers from the exact same problem the Pyramid Loot does. Granted, fishing for the sword might be WORSE if only because it's so impossibly rare.

The reason is "I was told no". If I can come up with a different solution, or convince them to change their minds, then that works too, but so far the direct approach (Crates) hasn't worked.

But that didn't stop you folks from buffing Cursed Inferno and Venom. (After a little bit of testing, actually, I think both 24 and 30 DPS are usable for a decent time. Did the values get corrected in a patch?)
You yourself also said On Fire was a "dead debuff", meaning the problem IS apparent to you guys. If it's very obviously a bad debuff, making a sell for a version of it that players can actually get a noticeable damage bonus from shouldn't be impossible, especially when put alongside the other Debuff damage increases.

Cursed Inferno/Venom are mid-game debuffs. They can be safely buffed without significant impact on the early game.

On Fire is available day 1 to just about anyone, from a variety of sources. I can't buff the On Fire of Fire Gauntlets without buffing the On Fire of Fire Arrows, Wand of Sparking, etc. And adding a new redundant buff entirely is a harder sell for me to make.

For what its worth, On Fire is a perfectly viable buff in the early game, it just doesn't scale up well at all, and that means fire-based items in the mid-game either "don't inflict On Fire at all", or they just have to live with the early game buff.

As an aside, no, I haven't had time to look into Cursed Inferno/Venom. They are likely behaving exactly as they were when 1.4 came out. If they are doing 24/30, then that is intended at the current balance level.

I said it was more of a nitpick because a melee accessory was used for a ranged item, so I'm not sure where you thought an actual problem was.

Well, there's no rule that says an accessory "must" stay a certain class type. Its thematically appropriate, and that's good enough for me.

I'd rather leave Thorns underpowered forever than accidentally increase its potency WAY too much forever. Nothing ever critically broke because Thorns Potion was too weak. Its entirely possible that something could break from over-buffing Thorns damage.

You could real creative with it, too, and if you tinkered it into the finished Ankh Shield and made a Mirror Shield, you'd be able to fit in another neat reference, since the team apparently likes making a lot of them now.

I'd love to do a Mirror Shield, or, what I would be more in favor of, Reflective Shades (Mirror + Blindfold) and lump it into Ankh Shield. But I didn't get approval on it when I brought it up before.

I thought of a simple concept for a solution, but I'll put it in a spoiler since I don't know if you already have an idea or not.
Make it so the Harpoon gets stuck on an enemy if it hits on the way forward. Pressing attack again would pull it out from the enemy and deal a guaranteed critical hit (or just double damage, though Red's requirement makes me think that might not fly). Otherwise, it'd work the same.
This would give the Harpoon better single-target damage without having to get up close and use it like a Spear.

That is well into "rework" territory, out of my scope.

I'd also don't really love the sarcastic/condescending attitude towards some of our design choices. I'm happy to have a dialogue, but it doesn't feel like one on my end the way you constantly repeatedly insult certain things you dislike. :(

Last edited:
I don't really know if this falls into 'balance' or not but the Djinn's Curse is such an odd item, it's a vanity item that has use outside of being a vanity, it's more of an accessory that you don't put into the accessory slot.

I believe it should just be converted to a full time accessory akin to the Gravity Globe. (But even as is I love the item it synergises with the bundle of balloons amazingly, but it's a weird one to use to great effect)

The harpoon would be better, and sort of fun, if it could be retracted on a second click like flails. I mean, the harpoon works like a high risk boomerang that deals good damage but takes forever to come back if it misses. If we have to actively retract it when it misses, it will be stronger. Otherwise, you could just give it a 1.5x damage modifier if you fire downwards or something. This is assuming you want work, otherwise I would just make the projectile a bit faster and call it a day.

Imo keeping the blackspot as a traveler's high max speed mount is cool. So if you nerf it, I would recommend a nerf that does not take that uniqueness out of it, but stops it from outclassing all other bossing movement options. Like, maneuverability nerf, make it slide like a player on ice when turning, make vertical speed slow, make it accelerate slower, or just make it nerf player damage when under use, dunno, as long as it does not become UFO 2.0 it's cool.

Blade Staff is in a good spot right now, if you ask me. It's a consistent but mediocre source of single-target damage against bosses, and it improves by quite a lot if you specifically dedicate two extra accessory slots to it (Shark Tooth and Stinger). It improves even more if you can whip an enemy for tag damage, but using a whip isn't always practical, so I don't see a problem there. It was definitely going to be the kind of weapon that would always toe the line between being too powerful or too weak, but you guys did a good job balancing its performance, in my opinion. (Its rarity, maybe not so much.)

Sanguine Staff is another tricky one to balance, because no matter what we end up doing to it, it should still be the most powerful piece of equipment obtained from Blood Moon fishing, and it must be better than the Spider Staff (which is already very good). What I propose is a reduction to its attack range. It currently mauls enemies within close range, but its performance against faraway targets is perhaps a little too strong. Cutting its attack range will allow it to preserve its role as the most damaging early- to mid-Hardmode minion, while allowing some room for people to pick less powerful, but safer choices against bosses like the Twins.

Cursed Inferno/Venom are mid-game debuffs. They can be safely buffed without significant impact on the early game.

On Fire is available day 1 to just about anyone, from a variety of sources. I can't buff the On Fire of Fire Gauntlets without buffing the On Fire of Fire Arrows, Wand of Sparking, etc. And adding a new redundant buff entirely is a harder sell for me to make.

For what its worth, On Fire is a perfectly viable buff in the early game, it just doesn't scale up well at all, and that means fire-based items in the mid-game either "don't inflict On Fire at all", or they just have to live with the early game buff.

Can't we just make On Fire! deal more damage as soon as hardmode starts? It doesn't seem like a big problem since it doesn't affect early game weapons.

Hey, I think my question about the Vampire knives/SotC might have been missed. Unless its being ignored because it has already been asked in which case I would appreciate if someone could show me the post.

Are pre-hm blood moon fishing monster droprates balanced?. I eventually gave up on farming zombie mermen and wandering eyes out of tedium, and I had high fishing power. Imo it might be better if the mobs were stronger and the droprates higher or something, or it might be a lack of patience from my part, I'm not sure

Can't we just make On Fire! deal more damage as soon as hardmode starts? It doesn't seem like a big problem since it doesn't affect early game weapons.

That might be possible, but I'm not sure if it will be approved. Worth noting that, based on previous conversations, the Player-On-Fire would also have to be buffed as well if we did that.

Are pre-hm blood moon fishing monster droprates balanced?. I eventually gave up on farming zombie mermen and wandering eyes out of tedium, and I had high fishing power. Imo it might be better if the mobs were stronger and the droprates higher or something, or it might be a lack of patience from my part, I'm not sure

The drop rates are much lower than I remember them being, and Cenx and I are in agreement they should be buffed. I've got some proposals already written up, they were one of the first things I reviewed today.

Hey, I think my question about the Vampire knives/SotC might have been missed. Unless its being ignored because it has already been asked in which case I would appreciate if someone could show me the post.

What was the question?

You guys seem to have worked pretty hard to make most items available regardless of worldgen, so it seems off that the vampire knives/SotC are hard locked into a specific biome generation. Is there a reason for this or is it an over site?

The reason is "I was told no". If I can come up with a different solution, or convince them to change their minds, then that works too, but so far the direct approach (Crates) hasn't worked.
Honestly, I'd like to know why Red/Cenx/etc keep up with a flat refusal on such a simple change, if it's possible to ask that. The insight might help us better understand what you're capable of looking into.

You guys seem to have worked pretty hard to make most items available regardless of worldgen, so it seems off that the vampire knives/SotC are hard locked into a specific biome generation. Is there a reason for this or is it an over site?
You can buy your opposite world evil grass seeds from the dryad in the Graveyard biome, you can make a farm and get the key like that :)

That might be possible, but I'm not sure if it will be approved. Worth noting that, based on previous conversations, the Player-On-Fire would also have to be buffed as well if we did that.

I thought about that, and it only makes sense since you're going in hardmode, even slimes are stronger in hardmode.

Also, now we have very powerful endgame summons that really takes away the shine from Lunar Portal Staff and Rainbow Crystal Staff as sentries. RCS is a lot better now but I think the damage nerf was excessive, even with maximum sentry summons it DPS pales agaist other weapons in the same tier. LPS beam attack feels a bit slow.

You can buy your opposite world evil grass seeds from the dryad in the Graveyard biome, you can make a farm and get the key like that :)
Crimson chests only generate on a crimson world and vice versa though? Unless the wiki is wrong. Edited because I figured out how to quote.

Last edited:
that's not really 1.4 feedback.
but you do understand the concept of the biome chests, right?
crimson, corruption, hallow, tundra, jungle and now desert as well all have a corresponding chest in the dungeon that contains a pretty amazing item for early hardmode.
the crimson biome chest only appearing the dungeon when the world has natural crimson is not an oversight. why would it be?

however it's not really "hard locked". you can easily jump into another world that has crimson and grab it there, and then take it with you into your corruption world.
if you prefer to farm the crimson key in your corruption world, you can do that too by creating an artificial crimson biome.

lastly, you can play with the drunk world seed which causes both corruption and crimson chests to appear in the dungeon.

Last edited:
On Fire could just be treated as a cosmetic thing for late-game items. The main issue is Magma Stone and its tinkers, because the effect is so weak.

Magma Stone could provide an additional percentage-based boost to melee damage. Like a +6% percent boost to melee damage and whip damage. This boost would be inherited by the Fire Gauntlet, the Magma Skull, and the Molten Skull Rose. The Molten Quiver would also inherit an additional +6% arrow damage.

however it's not really "hard locked". you can easily jump into another world that has crimson and grab it there, and then take it with you into your corruption world.
if you prefer to farm the crimson key in your corruption world, you can do that too by creating an artificial crimson biome.
I think the issue is that not everybody wants to use multiple worlds on one playthrough. I think what they're suggesting is if the Dungeon could be changed to contain both evil biome chests regardless of worldgen. Because you're going to need both anyway to complete the Bestiary, you might as well have both chests in every world. (Or add some alternate way to obtain the item from the other chest.)

Also: The biome keys are still obscenely rare, with a drop rate of 1/2500 (0.04%). Now there's one more to collect. It might not be a terrible change if the drop rate were increased by some amount, perhaps to 1/1250 (0.08%) or even 1/500 (0.2%).

Last edited:

It would be interesting if we could implement a renewable system for these, something that would be challenging to get, but viable for multiplayer servers. That same system would, in theory, allow for alt-biome HM Chest obtainment, since alt-biome seeds are available. Its not currently what I'd consider an oversight, though, there are still a substantial number of items that are not guaranteed in a world.

Honestly, I'd like to know why Red/Cenx/etc keep up with a flat refusal on such a simple change, if it's possible to ask that. The insight might help us better understand what you're capable of looking into.

I think, fundamentally, there is a design philosophy that not all items must be available in a single world. Pyramids are the most obvious example of that, but it is not limited to them.

A lot of people want everything available in one world. That is not currently something Terraria guarantees. We've moved towards more renewability in 1.4, but there are a number of holdout examples that haven't quite been made guaranteed/renewable yet.

Will the Dirt Rod ever get a more functional use, or will it stay as sort of a novelty item?

Its just a novelty/low grade building item.

On Fire could just be treated as a cosmetic thing for late-game items. The main issue is Magma Stone and its tinkers, because the effect is so weak.

Magma Stone could provide an additional percentage-based boost to melee damage. Like a +6% percent boost to melee damage and whip damage. This boost would be inherited by the Fire Gauntlet, the Magma Skull, and the Molten Skull Rose. The Molten Quiver would also inherit an additional +6% arrow damage.

Where is this 6% coming from? I'm in favor of fixing the "missing 2%" on Fire Gauntlet, but not just adding a flat extra 6% on top of that.

If you are going to increase range, you can’t increase defense. The reason why you’d increase range is because of low defense
In regards to that, increasing the defense of summoner armors across the board would, I think, be the better option. (Tavernkeep armors being the exception, as they already have fine defense.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom