Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have mostly been complaining about Zenith making melee overpowered and summoners being underpowered (neither of which I really agree with). But they made a 'quiver of quivers' thing now where there are 3 version of the magic quiver that stack with each other.

With good reason. People that like to play pure classes have an excellent range of gear available to them near the start of the game except summoners who's stuff is mostly locked behind mob/boss drops which have very low drop chance or/and insane requirements.

I am glad that there is a feedback thread, thanks Leinfors. There are a few things I want to talk about.
First, I must say that I have just played up to ML in 1.3 and have yet to reach hardmode in 1.4.

Onto the actual suggestions: I agree with Nicol Bolas that there should be a renewable way of getting Sturdy Fossils, I don't want to run out forever of Scarab bombs.

But I mostly wanted to talk about Fishing.

First, Fishing Rods. The wooden fishing rod is pointless, by the time you have got 50 silver to get the Merchant, you have enough iron for an iron one.
The Sitting Duck rod is op and breaks rod progression. It is not too expensive after you can defeat EoC, it is far easier to get than any other non-craftable rod, and it is much better. I have no reason to risk my life trying to get the Scarab rod or the Chum Caster, or spend ages finding jungle chests for the Fiberglass rod, and given how superior the Sitting Duck is, I might as well save my bait until I get it.
I would prefer that the others rods were buffed, there is a very small difference between Fleshcatcher and Fiberglass, but Golden is an enormous jump.

Second, now that we can cook most critters, Cooked Fish now feels obsolete. There is an immense legion of rabbits, birds and squirrels ready to jump into my cooking pot, and they even give Well Fed for longer. The humble Bass feels useless now.

Other problems: I feel that two potion fishes for Seafood is too much. Maybe three potion fishes for two seafood?
Rock lobster seems to sell for too much for how common it is, though the overall biome might balance it.
Warmth potion is useless unless you are fighting the Frost Moon, and Love and Stink potions are always useless. Some secondary effects would be nice.
You get too few Bomb Fish, they are pointless when you can just break a few pots or buy common bombs and add gel. I personally would double or even triple the amount of Bomb Fish you get at any fishing power.
I don't feel the Honeyfin has a point, it takes ages to fish up, it has a very modest increase from the Healing Potion, and preHM is not hard enough to justify the investment, specially when by just defeating WoF you can get huge amounts of Greater Healing Potions.
And finally, the Golden Carp was too rare in 1.3, nevermind now.

Well, hope this feedback is useful.

Onto the actual suggestions: I agree with Nicol Bolas that there should be a renewable way of getting Sturdy Fossils, I don't want to run out forever of Scarab bombs.
There could be an enemy that drops Desert Fossils or Sturdy Fossils, like some sort of undead dinosaur in the underground desert. But this would necessitate the creation of a new enemy, and might make the underground desert more dangerous.

A better option might be to have Bone Serpents in the underworld drop Sturdy Fossils.

Or perhaps Tomb Crawlers and Dune Splicers could drop Desert Fossils, which they consumed at they burrowed through the earth.

Hey, so I personally haven't used this weapon but I would like to talk about the Quad Barrel Shotgun. From what I heard it does double dps of the boomstick and can be obtained the moment you get a musket. Especially since you have to go to the jungle, one of the more dangerous biomes in prehardmode, for the boomstick, it makes Quad Barrel invalidate other options even more since you only need the arms dealer in the graveyard biome. It would be appreciated if this either had a boss requirement or nerfed so it is on par with the other options at that part of the game.

With good reason. People that like to play pure classes have an excellent range of gear available to them near the start of the game except summoners who's stuff is mostly locked behind mob/boss drops which have very low drop chance or/and insane requirements.
Summoner is the only class that you aren't meant to play pure. Even red himself said that it's a subclass of the other three.

Hey Leinfors! Good job on the 1.4 update, I feel like Journey's End has fixed a lot of problems the game had regarding cheesing the game's progression and the unviablity of some weapons (such as flails). I'm really thankful for that, and for everything else regarding yet another amazing free expansion to the game. Re-Logic is seriously amazing.

I know the dev team has been busy as hell lately so I'll try to keep it brief: hardmode hook progression. I have no idea if this is within your scope, but I thought it would be worth mentioning since you were in charge of that marvelous wings rework. As you start the game, you either craft a gem hook or get the OG Grappling Hook if you are lucky enough, right? By the end of pre-HM, you'll either have the Ivy Whip if you prioritize tile range, or the Skeletron Hand if you're about that speed. Perfect, that's all I could ask for.
Well, in Hardmode, the progression goes as follows: Hook of Dissonance (can't be used to create momentum, so it's not very good for boss fights)/Dual Hook (RNG-based) -> [Biome] Hook (grind-based -- a pain in Expert and Master, I tell ya) -> Thorn Hook (RNG-based -- spawning Plantera is a pain as well) -> Spooky Hook (Christmas Hook is unreliable to grind since the drop rate is lower in comparison and Everscreams don't spawn in all waves) -> Lunar Hook (post Pillars).
I don't know if I'm just unlucky or what, but in my latest Master run, I've found myself pre-Plantera stuck with a Skeletron Hand. I could only get my Dual Hook when I built a massive Plantera arena underground -- apparently flat underground surfaces make Mimics spawn like crazy. Again, maybe it's a me problem, I just thought it would be worth suggesting instead of reiterating about Summoner progression, damage debuffs, and meteor spawns.

Thanks for taking your time to listen to feedback, you're awesome! I have many others points, but I'm afraid we're too late in development to overhaul entire mechanics and game design rants wouldn't fit in here, so maybe I'll make a video essay about Terraria, targeting things to fix in Re-Logic's next game, be it a Terraria-like or not. Good luck with the bugfixes!

There could be an enemy that drops Desert Fossils or Sturdy Fossils, like some sort of undead dinosaur in the underground desert. But this would necessitate the creation of a new enemy, and might make the underground desert more dangerous.

A better option might be to have Bone Serpents in the underworld drop Sturdy Fossils.

Or perhaps Tomb Crawlers and Dune Splicers could drop Desert Fossils, which they consumed at they burrowed through the earth.

If you ask me, 3-4 bones to 2 sand around ecto mist modified bone forge would probably be enough material requirement to justify creating fossils spontaneously if you don't count generating new worlds to blow apart with explosives/intensively mine a legitimate form of play.

The ecto mist really wasn't integrated enough into this cruicial update with the limited amount of workstations it can modify, as my criticism of the items i only recently discovered like ruby-rock made from the heavy workshop station (gemstones & stone) which makes the natural ruby background walls. (which could be paint-scrapered anyway from the enviroment, but doing it like this saves time)

Summoner is the only class that you aren't meant to play pure. Even red himself said that it's a subclass of the other three.
I could totally agree with that statement in 1.2, acceptable in 1.3, and now in 1.4 summoner class has grown to the point that it is almost able to play pure, almost.
Before 1.4, summoner might be better classified as semi-summoner. While we have both summons and armors that available through the entire game, we lack the main weapon to use actively and have to use weapons of other classes instead. Now 1.4 introduces whip that fullfil that role, so we expect pure summoner to be viable, and it is almost there.

I could totally agree with that statement in 1.2, acceptable in 1.3, and now in 1.4 summoner class has grown to the point that it is almost able to play pure, almost.
Before 1.4, summoner might be better classified as semi-summoner. While we have both summons and armors that available through the entire game, we lack the main weapon to use actively and have to use weapons of other classes instead. Now 1.4 introduces whip that fullfil that role, so we expect pure summoner to be viable, and it is almost there.
Yes, but you're still at a greater advantage if you don't use whips (because you have to get close to enemies to use them and that's not a good idea when you don't have very much defense... aka every summoner in existence) there is still nothing stopping you from using non-summon damage. In fact, I'm doing that in my current master mode playthrough and it's only borderline agonizing. Some whips also power up non-whips attack speed, so you can still gain a slight advantage if use them as an impure summoner.

Basilisks already drop fossils, it was mentioned a page or two ago.

Yes, but you're still at a greater advantage if you don't use whips (because you have to get close to enemies to use them and that's not a good idea when you don't have very much defense... aka every summoner in existence) there is still nothing stopping you from using non-summon damage. In fact, I'm doing that in my current master mode playthrough and it's only borderline agonizing. Some whips also power up non-whips attack speed, so you can still gain a slight advantage if use them as an impure summoner.
That's why I said it is almost there, it just need last few steps to make pure summoner finally viable.

Just made an account so I could participate here. Thanks so much for taking a look at player feedback!
I've just entered Hardmode in my first playthrough on Master Mode as a mage, and I'm enjoying myself immensely. While I don't have any experience with the later hardmode items yet, there's a few things that've stuck out to me so far.

As far as number tweaks go:

The Sunfury is probably just a tiny bit too strong. Just a little. While swinging around a giant flaming death-ball one-shotting things makes for a nice power trip while getting ready for hardmode, doing 200+ damage in one swing is definitely too much pre-Wall of Flesh.

Fossil Armor is very weak given how difficult the Underground Desert is (especially in Expert/Master mode). It could definitely use more defense and/or a stronger set bonus.

The Finch Staff is underwhelming, even for a super-early-game item. It doesn't have nearly enough impact given that it is the only quickly-acquirable summoning weapon available without grinding or a Blood Moon. It also occasionally knocks enemies into its user, which is sorta not ideal and makes it a hassle to use. Reducing/removing the knockback would actually be a buff honestly.

Cursed Flames are still pretty bad. Too many enemies are entirely immune to it and it's still significantly outclassed by Ichor. It needs less enemy resistance and/or more damage. Maybe some kind of utility effect comparable to Ichor's defense reduction? Might be outside of the scope of balance tweaks though.

The new Brain of Confusion feels bloated and is too powerful. It really doesn't need confusion chance, dodge chance, and increased crit chance all at once. Either the dodge chance or the increased crit chance would have been powerful enough on their own. Honestly, the confusion chance on taking damage feels tacked on considering the strength of the new effects and could probably just be removed, especially given how it seemingly has negative synergy with the chance to dodge attacks entirely.

The free autoswing on the Titan Glove feels out of place given that it's exclusive to hardmode where everything autoswings anyways. Just remove autoswing from the Titan Glove and add it to the Feral Claws instead, it would actually give them some use and identity in pre-hardmode. They'll both get combined back together quickly anyways, so the Power Glove and up in the tinker tree can keep the autoswing.

More on the rework side:

For Fossil Armor, I saw an earlier suggestion that said something to the effect of rolling throwing damage back into melee instead of ranged, and I think that's a great idea. It could make the Fossil set an interesting melee/ranged hybrid that buffs melee attributes while also giving reduced ammo consumption. Change the ranged crit increase to a small melee damage buff and keep the set bonus and you have an armor set that synergizes perfectly with thrown melee weapons.

It might be too much, but what if the Night's Edge kept the attributes of its components? I.E. the Muramasa's autoswing, the Blade of Grass' poison chance and the Fiery Greatsword's burn chance. It would give it a bit more identity as the ultimate pre-hardmode weapon while still keeping it relatively weak in hardmode where debuffs like poison and fire are negligible.

I'm honestly a fan of the nerfs to the Reaver Shark's ability to essentially skip pre-hardmode, but the Reaver Shark feels useless now. Maybe it could mine faster while underwater? I don't know how hard that would be to implement, but I think it would give everyone's favorite fishaxe it's own niche. It'd be useful for digging out your water-filled hellevator, at least.

That's all I've noticed so far. Just wanted to say that you guys rock, thanks so much for making such a great game and thanks especially for putting up with all of the nonsense on these forums. I'm having a great time with Journey's End so far. Now I've got to get back to obsessing over the perfect NPC housing and completely filling out the bestiary...

Am i alone in this thread against rigid class structure in Terraria? Especially when it comes to summoners. I mean we already have turret sentry sub-class (don't tell me it was added only for crossover) that imo correctly capitalises on "use summons and some other weapon" philosophy.

Last edited:
That makes 0 sense as if it was a subclass why does it have it's own armor and damage? Summoner has all the things to be pure class just not enough balance in progression between those things.
Basically, it's not meant to be used entirely on it's own, instead you're supposed to use weapons from multiple classes. In fact, the fastest way to kill moon lord before 1.4 used a build that did just that, focusing damage on both a minion (the stardust dragon) and a non-summon weapon (the Phantasm.) The current way might actually be similar, because neither of those weapons were touched. It doesn't sound like it works, but trust me, it does, and if it were just a little easier to wrap your head around it would be considered hilariously overpowered and literally everyone would use it.
Am i alone in this thread against rigid class structure in Terraria? Especially when it comes to summoners. I mean we already have turret sub-class (don't tell me it was added only for crossover) that imo correctly capitalises on "use summons and some other weapon" philosophy.
Queen Spider Staff, Staff of the Frost Hydra, Rainbow Crystal Staff, and Lunar Portal Staff all existed before 1.3.4. Impure Summoner's presence is also reinforced by the fact that they added so many hybrid sets in that update, and they're all considered at least "decent", unlike the Frost Armor, which actually lowers your weapon's overall performance because summoner isn't involved.

Oh, another thing: it appears the Neptune's/Celestial Shell items make wings disappear when when active (underwater), even when set to be cosmetically invisible. The diving gear doesn't do this, so I'm assuming it's a leftover effect of the otherwise-invisible merman transformation, not an effect of the swimming feature. I'm wondering if this could be ... changed. I prefer wings (or any other cosmetic feature) not arbitrarily vanishing when underwater.

I also prefer wings not vanishing when piloting a flying saucer, but that one seems to already have been changed in 1.4, which is nice.
I'm gonna bounce off of this post and say that while not a balance thing, this should be something super simple that can be implemented if passed along to the right folks.

Vanity capes get hidden entirely by vanity wings, this makes it so I have to either stick to using lower class wings for the look I'm going for if I want a cape as well, forgo the cape to use the vanity wings, or use the better wings without vanity wings and have it clash with the rest of my look. Doesn't matter if the cape is a slot above or below the wings, it just vanishes.

I had no idea that this was a thing, glad to know it is though.
Do hope that this won't be too tiring for you and the team, Leinfors.
With that said, I feel like I'll have a lot to say which will probably be posted in multiple posts (not all at once of course) I hope that's alright.
(Should also make it easier for members to like posts that they agree with)

Pssst . . . this is already a thing under certain conditions ;)
Glad to know that this is possible now.
Can solutions potentially get the same treatment?
Getting the opposite solution or just getting the evil ones can be a bit of a pain, unless you want to waste a solar tablet on it.

Speaking of which, I always found those really expensive at 25 Silver (the Clentaminator being 2 Platinum doesn't help either) as you'll be spending a lot of money on them which you'd rather want to keep for weapon and accessory reforges.
Honestly it's the worst with Green Solution as missing a single block of Hallow/Corruption/Crimson can undo all your hard work (the same won't happen with Blue/Purple/Red Solution though)

Wire has always been rather expensive at 5 Silver per piece as well, with the common suggestion being to go to the Dungeon/previously visited Caves/Lihzhard Temple, which should give you enough unless you do something complex with wiring.

u wot? Such a tease. :p
Hopefully the condition isn't self-requiring, like being in that biome.

What about mimics? I suppose they could naturally spawn, but it would be nice to have a dedicated key item you could make for the opposite evil.
I actually totally forgot they could even naturally spawn until I came across one. It's been far too long...
I do agree with this, especially now with the new accessory tinkers.
Although the issue is that the key is crafted with Souls of Night, which is something the Crimson doesn't have a counterpart of.
(That's the issue of not having counterparts for everything, Soul of Night always seemed to fit the Corruption more)

On the other hand, is it that much of an issue if a player could craft a Key of Night/"Key of Blood/Flesh?" out of Souls of Night?
(As in, making it available in both worlds since the drops were supposed to be interchangeable)

The Hooks are equal and the ever popular Stormbow is available in both worlds via the Hallow.
The Dart Rifle and Dart Pistol are about equal (different fire rate and damage like the Musket and Undertaker)
Flesh Knuckles/Putrid Scent depends on the player/class but are also about equal.
Clinger Staff/Life Drain, I believe that many prefer the Life Drain even if it's been more of a Mana Drain (also the Destroyer's debuff immunity made it not work on him, possible fix?)
Chain Guillotines/Fetid Baghnakhs... Think everyone will still prefer the latter.
Ugh this isn't looking as good as I thought it would...
Any thoughts on this Leinfors?

Scarab Bombs are super useful, but they can't be purchased. And the cost to make them is something that is in very limited supply: Sturdy Fossil. A world only has so much Fossil after all.

Perhaps they could be purchased in Hardmode? Or maybe you can craft 10-20 Bombs into Scarabs for every Fossil used.
I agree, honestly I think it would be better if you got 5 from them (I thought that was the case but I thought of Sticky Grenades)
Note that in Hardmode, Basilisks have a 33% chance to drop one Sturdy Fossil, although I'd also like if Sturdy Fossils were renewable in prehardmode, given that they can be used for throwing weapons which are eventually used up.
Perhaps something for the Antlions to drop?

Anyways, what I wanted to bring up:

Flower/Fairy Boots
I've read about the change of the Flower/Fairy Boots, correct me if I'm mistaken, but the following got changed:
1. Flowers only generate when moving
2. Critters don't drop from ANY grass broken while wearing Flower Boots/Fairy Boots
I don't mind 1, but I don't like 2 as it can affect the wrong players without them even knowing and doesn't address the issue properly.

Imagine if a player likes the Flower Boots and actually crafts and uses the Fairy Boots due to that.
Said player will never get bait from grass due to 2 and probably not notice it until reading about it.

On the other hand, a player can just run on the grass, take off the boots and then destroy the grass tiles with something simple, a basic gun or even the blowpipe will work while Guide To Critter Companionship ensures that they won't be hurt.

And honestly?
Bait obtained from normal grass is somewhat uncommon, mostly just giving Grasshoppers which only have 10% Bait Power, the Jungle on the other hand gives you plenty of Grubbys (15% Bait Power, same as Apprentice Bait), some Sluggys (25% Bait Power, same as Worms) and a few Buggys (40% Bait Power, second highest) plus it's rather easy to farm:
Just break down all the trees and bushes in your jungle and keep breaking the bushes when you travel though it, you'll get plenty of bait from doing this.
If a player was really dedicated, they could easily create a horizontal setup of mud blocks with Jungle Grass every 4 vertical blocks to farm the bushes and I do feel that running around and farming bait with the Flower Boots would quickly get tiring.
I've found that the best way to farm bait is being near a Town while it's raining, lots of worms which can be upgraded into Enchanted Nightcrawlers.

It's not up to me to decide if this item should have any use in bait farming though, if it shouldn't, I'd rather like a change to the flower tiles, with those no longer dropping bait if broken.
(that way the Flower Boots no longer need the second change as you won't get bait from those blocks, yet can still obtain bait from naturally grown grass)

Ore Armor
As some other players have noted before, Ore Armor (especially Gold/Platinum)'s kinda difficult to craft and by the time you can obtain it, you're already past it's usefulness.
When I usually play Terraria I recommend getting Silver/Tungsten Armor before taking on any boss, Iron/Lead if you're confident enough, and lower if you're actually good at the battle.

Gold/Platinum Armor takes 90 Gold Bars (Iron and Silver are 75 in comparison) and it's also the rarest out of the 4 starting ores, meaning you get less and need more.
In my recent playthrough I actually got more Tungsten than Iron and as such skipped from Tin to Tungsten.
(something I've had happening in 1.1 with Silver Armor as well, might have to do with iron being needed for other things like crafting stations,chests and possibly tools)
When I finally got Gold (did draw the bosses out due to not finding heart crystals/movement accessories) I realized that it only gave one single point of defense over Tungsten, making it really useless in that case.
(Note that I'm a completionist and as such still liked obtaining it)

This is inconsistent with the other ore armors though, Tin to Iron and Lead to Silver both give you +2 defense with the new armor having +1 defense in the Chest and Legs.
Gold only has a +1 defense in the Legs compared to Tungsten.
Given that Platinum armor has four more defense, (Copper->Tin has 1, Iron ->Lead & Silver->Tungsten have 2) I believe that it's defense could also be upgraded by an additional point, giving it 18 total defense, thrus making it more worthwhile to craft.

From what I've seen in Terraria playthroughs (as far back as 1.1 & 1.0.6) people usually craft one piece of one ore and another piece of the other, ignoring the set bonus (especially in multiplayer due to the lack of resources)
Granted, that's more of a issue of the players not being aware of that, it would be better if Player 1 got Copper while Player 2 got Iron, with Player 1 getting Silver next and so on or "inheriting" armor once you no longer need it.
The other issue though is that they take on the Eater of Worlds with that set, generally having a easy time due to it being multiplayer and still having somewhat decent defense and after a few kills advance to Shadow/Crimtane Armor, being generally easy to craft, giving 19 Defense and other bonuses on top of that.
I've seen this done many times before with people also not bothering to get Molten, but I wouldn't consider the Shadow Armor the issue.
It's more the fact that armor takes a lot of bars, which could be spent wisely on Tools as 62 bars are enough to get all tools out of that material:
12 Pickaxe
10 Hammer
10 Gem Staff
9 Axe
8 Broadsword
7 Shortsword
56 total for everything
Unlike the Armors those also don't increase in the amount of bars required (60 for Copper/Tin, 75 for Iron/Lead/Silver/Tungsten, 90 for Gold/Platinum)

I don't want to make it too easy to get armors, but given that so many players are skipping over it, it would maybe be a good idea to reduce the bar requirements.
Meteor and Molten Armor used to be in a similar spot until 1.2 addressed this.

Fossil Armor
I feel like this set simply doesn't give enough of a boost to justify getting it and is too weak in the area that it's found in.

The set gives 8 defense which is one more than Tin, yet one less than Iron.
9% Ranged Critical Strike Chance
20% Chance to not consume ammo
While I do understand moving the chance to not consume ammo to this set (kinda keeping the throwing spirit/legacy) it seems basically outclassed by the Ninja Armor:
9 defense (+1)
9% Critical Strike Chance (Universal instead of Ranged)
20% Movement Speed

Besides this, isn't the Underground Desert supposed to be like the Underground Jungle?
Difficult Area (although I feel a little too difficult with the amount of damage the boulders do) with unique loot and a unique armor set obtainable from the enemy drops/unique ore (fossils) which can also be used to get enough ore for the higher ore armors (Silver/Tin/Gold/Platinum)

Mages get two armor choices at around the same time, Jungle Armor (I hope that it's still fine that this can be obtained "right away" without defeating a Boss? The Underground Jungle's dangerous and I'd say you need at least silver armor and a silver bow to survive at first) and Meteor Armor:
17 Defense
12% Magic Critical Strike
+80 Mana
-16% Mana Usage

16 Defense
21% Magic Damage
Space Gun costs no Mana

Meteor might seem to have less at first but it's a larger damage boost and the Space Gun bonus can be a quite powerful set bonus (before the redesign in 1.0.3 it used to be a weaker version of Cobalt(Jungle) Armor)
Melee gets Shadow Armor (Not sure if you'd really count Crimson) and Molten Armor, the former being more the usual DPS focused one, a solid set, while the latter is more of the Tank type, giving a good increase in Melee Damage.
Molten's harder to obtain and later in the game so I do believe that it's higher defense and damage bonus is justified.
(On Paper the stats seem a bit lackluster compared to 6 less defense, 21% Melee Speed and 15% Movement Speed though)

Taking Necro Armor's stats in mind:
16 Defense
+15% Ranged Damage
+15 Ranged Critical Strike chance

I feel like this set should have at least 13 Defense (Silver Armor, also the same it had before) if not 14 and have the Critical Strike Chance per piece increased to 4, giving it 12% Ranged Critical Strike Chance.
(This essentially turns it into Necro Armor pre 1.3.1 minus having a bit less defense)

Ninja Armor could potentially do with a little increase in defense as well.
Honestly, it feels like the Team still had a bit of a "Glass Cannon" aspect in mind when making those, similar to how the Summoner and the Throwing Class both lack defense.

Gem Robes
I've seen the Gem Robes mentioned in this thread and how they can give you a very powerful combo if paired with either magic legs.
I haven't fully thought about it's stats but I did want to mention that I wouldn't mind if the Robe was split into two armor pieces (Robe & Pants) just like the Spectre Armor (completely unrelated to healing or anything the like)
That way it could be a proper set, have uses in vanity and maybe be an alternative early mage/Glass Cannon setup.
Unfortunately that would require new items and I'd recommend splitting up the stats as well as adding a few points of defense to the leg pieces.

Would it be possible to make the Shadowflame Hex Doll's tentacles perform more of a slashing motion, like whips currently do? Its range is pretty poor and I don't expect that to change, but making it more accurate at mid-range could make it a lot more usable than it currently is.

Reactions: Bry
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom