Weapons & Equip Large-Scale, End-Game Biome control

Frak

Terrarian
From the beginning of the game, the Corruption appears to be the primary antagonist... And when hardmode starts, you even get a polar opposite to butt heads with it.
Post-mech boss, the spread of each of these slows, and you have access to a useful but super expensive tool to combat the biomes - the Clentaminator.
This tool is very good for providing a temporary fix of biome, clearing a small space for NPCs or a farm or something. But even with its large range, the effects are limited.
In order to have effective control over biome spread in the world, you have to drill dozens of wide tunnels to block the spread, and use your clentaminator to manipulate biomes through them. You may put hours upon hours into purifying your world. But even then you might screw it up: Any individual block you may have missed can spread once again and leave a scar in your world.
We need something to effectively and easily manage the corruption and hallow on a world-wide scale, and the clentaminator isn't cutting it.
I don't know how to creatively design such a system, but after defeating the moon lord, this should be an available option. Perhaps when the moon lord is defeated a new NPC can come in and sell lots of new, super powerful goods to wipe out impure biomes and stop existing ones from spreading. Or the Dryad can fulfill that.
Maybe these items can be beacons of some sorts, and placing a beacon slowly begins to purify a large area of of the world.
Placing it on the surface could purify all blocks 500 ft to the right and left and all blocks downward from that area.
Or, placing a beacon could convert blocks in a circular area, slowly increasing in size.
Or, placing a beacon can enable the spread of one biome into the others. A purity beacon will let the purity spread through the corruption and hallow over time, effectively forming a world wide immune system against them. It could apply either way, if you wanted a 100% hallow or corrupted world.
Or, depending on whether a beacon is turned on or off, the spread of its biome could be enabled or disabled.

Another hilarious thought is the idea of being able to convert an entire world into the mushroom biome. Please, if anything, let us do that.

TL;DR:
The Clentaminator is ineffective for large scale biome control.
In late game there should be some other way to effectively manage the corruption and hallow. Ideas include:
Beacons to allow or deny the spreading of any biome, including allowing the purity to spread and take over the corruption and hallow.
Beacons to purify gigantic areas of the world.
Converting the entire world into the mushroom biome.

Yeah I feel like I can agree that while the clentaminator is pretty darn nice

IT DOESN'T CUT IT!
There is no :red: way you can effectively use the clentaminator with green solution to purify the world nothing says wasteful, and tedious like spending 8 hours digging 2x2 tunnels every 40 blocks or so just so the spray can actually hit everything, and like OP said here if you miss even a single block it much like a disease will spread once more to further unpurify the world.

I'm glad that postmech the spread is slowed because HM spread rate is ridiculous to a point, but I seriously wish there was a way like the beacon idea that could slowly, but surely over time purify(or otherwise) a world.

Heck make it take luminite bars or something just to be sure(you dont even have to make a new npc or change existing ones) just make a new item with an expensive recipe like the Drill Containment Unit since it has such world reaching effects.

Agreed. I actually found myself being "afraid of going into hardmode during certain playthroughs until I had EVERY FARM for EVERY ITEM I NEEDED set up so that I could make sure that I could beat the twins as fast as possible. This became extremely hard for certain other playthroughs, like playing full melee or summoner. It just doesn't seem as manageable as it should be. Maybe we could have a Clentaminator upgrade?

Nothing quite like finishing up another Moon Lord run or two and finding the corruption/crimson on your doorstep :p

Personally I think the worst part about the clentaminator is how damn expensive it is. I have to pay two platinum to have it and then even more money so I can use it. I think I could manage a bit better if the solution were cheaper. Making hellevators has been a hobby lately for me, that's the least of my problems.

Personally I think the worst part about the clentaminator is how damn expensive it is. I have to pay two platinum to have it and then even more money so I can use it. I think I could manage a bit better if the solution were cheaper. Making hellevators has been a hobby lately for me, that's the least of my problems.
I mean yeah making hellevators kinda stops being a problem once you have a picksaw or something but it's so freaking silly how many you have to make. One hellevator every 40 blocks or some :red: is insane. the best solution to it is digging a 3 block thick hellevator on both sides of the corruption/crimson/hallow, but then there's the problem that most worlds already have 2 corruptions/crimsons in the early game and some might even have three. Getting an extra one that is a diagonal line makes it even harder to control in this manner.

I feel like the best way to keep your "world" safe is to make a new one after getting all the 3 Hardmode ores (since Altars spread upon being broken).
Sure it might not have the same feel, but at least you won't be attacked by a constant barrage of that 1 single block you missed.
You just have to find where the "X" happens in your world and cut that from the rest.

I agree.
I have to check up right on my base's doorstep 'cause there's Hallow right outside it, and I can't fully remove it because I don't want to destroy the landscape. So, a way to combat this without obliterating your world would be nice.

Large scale WORLD control would really be a great thing too. After you've beaten the final boss and more or less finished the game, you should be able to toggle on and off things like random invasions, hardmode monsters, meteorites, blood moons, solar eclipses...
You should have nearly complete control over your world after you've defeated the moon lord. After all, if the world is your canvas, why should you always be interrupted if you just want to paint?

Yes, please! Maybe as a tie-in to Otherworld, we could craft a Purity Tower to spread the Purity and keep it pure in that area? Craft the Beacon itself or buy it from the Dryad, then craft a Crystal with diamonds and maybe a little Luminite, then combine a crystal with a biome seed (For example, combining a Crystal with Purification Powder makes a Purity Crystal, combining it with Corrupted Seeds makes a Corrupted Crystal, etc.)

I mean yeah making hellevators kinda stops being a problem once you have a picksaw or something but it's so freaking silly how many you have to make. One hellevator every 40 blocks or some :red: is insane. the best solution to it is digging a 3 block thick hellevator on both sides of the corruption/crimson/hallow, but then there's the problem that most worlds already have 2 corruptions/crimsons in the early game and some might even have three. Getting an extra one that is a diagonal line makes it even harder to control in this manner.

If you for some reason feel the need to purify your entire map (out of boredom I suppose), it doesn't even have to take all that long. For one, your math is completely off. The Clentaminator has a range of ~60 tiles. That means one hellevator approximately every 120 blocks, as obviously you're going to spray both sides. A small world is 1200 blocks wide. That's a grand total of 9 Hellevators you have to dig. One hellevator takes less than a minute with a Drill Containment Unit, which you should have already if you're that bored with the game. Spraying everything is just a matter of dropping down and holding left mouse. Shouldn't take more than half an hour. An hour for a large world.

And that's how you solve a problem with math instead of being lazy and asking the dev's to hold your hand.;)

What's wrong with wanting an end game method that doesn't involve destroying your world?

Does the DCU dig only 2 blocks going down?

What's wrong with wanting an end game method that doesn't involve destroying your world?

Does the DCU dig only 2 blocks going down?

Just fill up the holes with sand afterwards, easy.

EDIT: On a serious note, dealing with the Corruption is supposed to be a challenge. Placing down a few beacons and letting them purify everything is hardly satisfying.

Yes, because that will look great/be feasible. Not to mention the sand pillar would then fill in parts of hell as well. Good luck travelling underground at that point.

Honestly having a bunch of hellevators all around your world can be very practical to escape combat or have quick access to underground farms. But you could just block off the ceiling of the underworld so the sand doesn't drop all the way through. It would look pretty nice actually.

Just fill up the holes with sand afterwards, easy.

EDIT: On a serious note, dealing with the Corruption is supposed to be a challenge. Placing down a few beacons and letting them purify everything is hardly satisfying.
But then I have huge sand pits that I then need to cover up with dirt or something near the surface. Not to mention that if I then feel like going inside those caves out of boredom or something then I'll have to deal with all the sand I've placed.

I completely messed up my math by forgetting the Clentaminator's actual range and by forgetting that I can spray both sides (was I on drugs?) but the fact of the matter is that's still 9 or 8 more hellevators than I'd need to if there was an actual way to control this.

I might also need it gone before the moon lord, like let's say that I need nothing more from the corruption and idon't want it at my doorstep every time i come back home.

The reason they are mentioning it being after Moon Lord is because then you should kinda be "king" of the worid. You should control it. I say beacons after Plantera would be nice.

You'd have a mad-dash to beat Plantera to slow :red: down and after that you can purify them.

And just having holes there would look horrible. No one wants a bunch of holes in their world to play whack-a-mole with. I want a nice, pretty world with cool landscapes. If what I have to do to get rid of the corruption is actively wreck these landscapes then it becomes kind of bad.

If you for some reason feel the need to purify your entire map (out of boredom I suppose), it doesn't even have to take all that long. For one, your math is completely off. The Clentaminator has a range of ~60 tiles. That means one hellevator approximately every 120 blocks, as obviously you're going to spray both sides. A small world is 1200 blocks wide. That's a grand total of 9 Hellevators you have to dig. One hellevator takes less than a minute with a Drill Containment Unit, which you should have already if you're that bored with the game. Spraying everything is just a matter of dropping down and holding left mouse. Shouldn't take more than half an hour. An hour for a large world.

And that's how you solve a problem with math instead of being lazy and asking the dev's to hold your hand.;)
Here's a couple of issues with that, though:
1)Lag can actually cause you to miss a few lines, leading to more spread.
2)The clentaminatior, I've noticed, has a surprisingly short range.
3)I still don't want to dig hellevators.
4)I don't want to ruin my world to get rid of (What I consider to be) a world-ruining plague.
5)And, lastly, I don't want to work extensively just to make my world look pleasing and not have hallow sprout up right outside my base every hour even after a clentaminator blast around.

That's just my opinion, though.

Honestly having a bunch of hellevators all around your world can be very practical to escape combat or have quick access to underground farms. But you could just block off the ceiling of the underworld so the sand doesn't drop all the way through. It would look pretty nice actually.

I'd rather create pathways to my underground farms, rather than dig a straight hole down...

In addition, at this point defeating the final boss doesn't even seem to mean anything. Nothing in the world changes, except maybe the travelling merchant sells an extra painting. Beyond that, it feels meaningless. All you get is a new set of equipment.
Defeating the final boss of the game should be significant. It should hold meaning. It should change the world. At this point we don't really fully understand the moon lord's place in the world, but if he is at all some sort of keeper, or a god, what do we have to show for it? All the more reason his defeat should grant unmatched power and control to the player over their own world, which they may have just claimed from its previous captor.

Yeah, while the sets and weapons are great. As I'm sure the Drill Containment Unit is, it doesn't have too great an impact over the overall game. I'd rather be able to gain more control over the world through something like the cross-over/reference to Otherworld than the Moon Lord be a "Load-bearing boss"

I'd also like furniture for each of the fragments and maybe luminite :p

Back
Top Bottom