Weapons & Equip Less Sword Projectiles

Ashen75

Empress of Light
This is the first time I'm suggesting something, so it isn't really organised. Also, please excuse any grammar mistakes I made in this post, since English isn't my first language.

So I'm guessing everybody here knows that many of the hardmode swords have both melee and ranged attacks. Yes, I agree that this is quite cool and useful against enemies that have to be fought from far away. However, people are using the projectiles as their main weapon instead of the melee attack. I think this ruins the entire meaning of the melee class. No, I'm not saying that Melee is overpowered and should be nerfed, but what I am saying is that it just doesn't feel too much like melee currently because of all the projectiles. I think I have several solutions that might solve this:

1. Get rid of all melee sword projectiles (Only swords, not flails or spears) and increase the size of all melee weapons by about 2 times. This will make it easier to hit enemies from a few blocks away, but still make it feel like you're playing melee.

2. Make the use time of projectiles slower. The swords shoot projectiles so fast, and I think this is one of the reasons why people use the projectile attack more than the melee attack.

3. Limit the range of sword projectiles. Projectiles fly for 5 or 10 blocks, and then fade away like the death sickle's projectile.

4. Arkhalis. Make every sword be like Arkhalis, except with slower speed and different colors and sizes.

For all of these solutions, increasing the damage and defense of melee equipment may be necessary.

Thank you for reading through this boring piece of text, and please tell me what you think about this.

The main problem I see with this would be attacking the bosses that move around a lot, like Duke Fishron. It could work if there was a way to close distance more easily than flying/running towards the boss. I've seen suggestions that propose grapples allowing for players to hold onto bosses, maybe that would balance the lack of range.

Even so, I dislike the idea of removing sword projectiles because it's a loss of content. Rather than removing sword projectiles, adding new Arkhalis-like swords that deal higher DPS than projectile swords throughout all tiers would encourage me to get closer to enemies. The grapple idea previously mentioned would also be fun to use with Arkhalis-type swords.

This, this.

Just remove the projectiles and make the swords do more damage or swing faster.

That way melee is actually a class again.

I've seen so many(and participated in) debates about Melee shouldn't have projectiles, so I'll just leave this.

DukeFishron2.png
Ice_Queen.png

Tell me how you plan to kill these two with projectiles? We'll leave traps out of it for now.

I've seen so many(and participated in) debates about Melee shouldn't have projectiles, so I'll just leave this.

DukeFishron2.png
Ice_Queen.png

Tell me how you plan to kill these two with projectiles? We'll leave traps out of it for now.
Slower projectile speed/Bigger melee weapons/Limited projectile range might work, but increasing melee's damage would be necessary since it would be a bit harder to hit them.

My two-penn'orth:

1. Beamswords and some Projectile swords [Terra Blade, Influx Waver, Enchanted Sword, Meowmere, Frostbrand and few others] projectile deals 50% sword damage (down from 100%). To balanced things, these weapons gains some more base damage - slash will be very strong while projectiles will be "not bad".

2. Range of some melee projectiles [Terra Blade, Frostbrand and similar] reduced to ~50 blocks. Also reduced range for some other melee weapons [mainly Daybreak].

3. Like others said, introducing more Arkhalis-like melee weapons would be very nice.

4. Yoyos should be more realistic. Range of Terrarian and The Eye of Cthulhu with String is broken for me. I suggest lowering range for majority of Yoyos, increasing base crit chance of all Yoyos (except Terrarian - no changes to it) from 4% to 9% and adding some nice new physics (something similar to circling around effect of second Yoyo).

Last edited:
Seems like a good way to make warrior class the worst class just like in every patch between 1.0.0 and 1.2
Not really. It makes the warrior class be more melee combat than ranged combat, and if we increase the damage and defense a bit for melee armor/weapons, it won't be the worst class.

Back
Top Bottom