Game Mechanics Limit Maximum Potion Buff's

and guns have multiple types of great ammo like chlorophyte :l

Cholorophyte bullets are awful.

If buffs are capped in some way, it can't make less useful potions well, useless. When you have, say, 10 buffs, you're just going to top up on all the damage and defence buffs without even considering stuff like Night Owl.

I made a thread a while back that proposed a method to limit caps in a way that would still give value to the less highlighted potions. It's still in my signature actually. My reasons for it differ to yours though and I only want it for Expert Mode.

I wish I knew what your friends are using in Melee that is so much stronger than Magic . . . I love Melee builds, but they can't really stand up to current end-game magic.
I think he's talking about when you are fighting the mech bosses, which is admittedly a time where there aren't very many powerful magic weapons.

Pre-Mech magic weapons that do nice damage include:

Demon Scythe
Crystal Storm (single target)
Golden Shower
Poison Staff (penetrating)
Laser Rifle

And most importantly, the Nimbus Rod, which you can combine with another magic weapon (or just decimate the Destroyer).

I don't think Alchemy is a mandatory mechanic . . . when I run Frost/Pumpkin Moon, I always use a Magic build since I find it the strongest class build, and I only use a small number of buffs (Well Fed, Ironskin, and usually Battle Potion).

I wish I knew what your friends are using in Melee that is so much stronger than Magic . . . I love Melee builds, but they can't really stand up to current end-game magic.
Terra blade/pumpkin/death sickle
srsly try death sickle :l it can have frost burn and on fire buff + its basicaly demon scythe spell AND your mellee so no mana AND You have wtf defense compared to magic
[DOUBLEPOST=1425045007][/DOUBLEPOST]
Cholorophyte bullets are awful.

If buffs are capped in some way, it can't make less useful potions well, useless. When you have, say, 10 buffs, you're just going to top up on all the damage and defence buffs without even considering stuff like Night Owl.

I made a thread a while back that proposed a method to limit caps in a way that would still give value to the less highlighted potions. It's still in my signature actually. My reasons for it differ to yours though and I only want it for Expert Mode.
omfg on a side note I love night owl and dangersense :L easily 2 of my 3 fave buff's 3rd being spelunker (for chests not ore)

If you're talking about every tier, then there is the Razorpine, Razorblade Typhoon, Bubble gun, Bat Sceptre, Inferno Fork, Necromancer Staff, Magnet Sphere, Blizzard Staff and I could go on.
I also like combining the main weapon with a side weapon like the Nimbus Rod or Rainbow Gun. While these are active you can then switch to your main weapon. So yeah, lots of possibilities.

Yeah, I already listed Nimbus Rod above.

Rainbow Gun is meh I suppose. It can be a nuisance to bring up again every ten seconds.

Terra blade/pumpkin/death sickle
srsly try death sickle :l it can have frost burn and on fire buff + its basicaly demon scythe spell AND your mellee so no mana AND You have wtf defense compared to magic
[DOUBLEPOST=1425045007][/DOUBLEPOST]
omfg on a side note I love night owl and dangersense :L easily 2 of my 3 fave buff's 3rd being spelunker (for chests not ore)

I love Death Sickle as much as the next person, but it just doesn't have the DPS of some other high end magic spells.

no mana + mellee armor def
ignoring duke n frost weapons

Defense doesn't count for much end-game, and mana is an extremely minor obstacle in my experience.

Meanwhile, everything Duke drops is broken, melee, magic or otherwise. In my experience the magic items dropped by Frost Moon are more powerful than the others as well.

Defense doesn't count for much end-game, and mana is an extremely minor obstacle in my experience.

Meanwhile, everything Duke drops is broken, melee, magic or otherwise. In my experience the magic items dropped by Frost Moon are more powerful than the others as well.
LOL doesnt count for much xD okay sure, take a hit from duke in caster gear then try mellee

In Phase 2, Duke Fishron deals 150 damage per hit.

Assuming each player has about 10 defense worth of accessories:

Beetle Scale Armor: 61 defense +10 acc def = 71 defense, or -35 damage. 150 damage - 35 reduction = 115
Spectre Armor (Mask variant): 42 defense + 10 acc def = 52 defense, or -26 damage. 150 damage - 26 reduction = 124

At 500 health:
Beetle Scale Armor = can survive 4.3 hits from Duke Fishron phase 2
Spectre Mask Armor = can survive 4.03 hits from Duke Fishron phase 2

In other words, a full health character using the most DPS oriented Melee OR Magic gear will die in the same number of hits from Duke Fishron's second form.

Beetle Scale Armor offers a mere 9 additional damage reduction over Spectre Hood Armor. This is a trivial amount when in combat against a enemy who deals 150 damage per hit. If you managed to draw the fight out and survived 10 hits, Beetle Scale user would only have negated 90 damage extra from a base of 1500 damage. This is 6% of the damage dealt. You could instead just use a Paladin's Shield and effectively cut the damage by 25%.

Lets just say anyone trying to tank hits from Duke Fishron is going to have a bad time.

Of course, you could throw Beetle Shell Armor into the mix with its higher defense and special beetle protection perk, but on the other hand, a magic user could use Spectre Hood for rapid healing . . . so the two aren't comparable either.

In Phase 2, Duke Fishron deals 150 damage per hit.

Assuming each player has about 10 defense worth of accessories:

Beetle Scale Armor: 61 defense +10 acc def = 71 defense, or -35 damage. 150 damage - 35 reduction = 115
Spectre Armor (Mask variant): 42 defense + 10 acc def = 52 defense, or -26 damage. 150 damage - 26 reduction = 124

At 500 health:
Beetle Scale Armor = can survive 4.3 hits from Duke Fishron phase 2
Spectre Mask Armor = can survive 4.03 hits from Duke Fishron phase 2

In other words, a full health character using the most DPS oriented Melee OR Magic gear will die in the same number of hits from Duke Fishron's second form.

Beetle Scale Armor offers a mere 9 additional damage reduction over Spectre Hood Armor. This is a trivial amount when in combat against a enemy who deals 150 damage per hit. If you managed to draw the fight out and survived 10 hits, Beetle Scale user would only have negated 90 damage extra from a base of 1500 damage. This is 6% of the damage dealt. You could instead just use a Paladin's Shield and effectively cut the damage by 25%.

Lets just say anyone trying to tank hits from Duke Fishron is going to have a bad time.

Of course, you could throw Beetle Shell Armor into the mix with its higher defense and special beetle protection perk, but on the other hand, a magic user could use Spectre Hood for rapid healing . . . so the two aren't comparable either.
gah wall-o--text
and yea -40% dammage so usefull with a possible additional -25% if you use mana potions -_-;

I don't think Alchemy is a mandatory mechanic . . . when I run Frost/Pumpkin Moon, I always use a Magic build since I find it the strongest class build, and I only use a small number of buffs (Well Fed, Ironskin, and usually Battle Potion).

Wait, why the battle potion?

gah wall-o--text
and yea -40% dammage so usefull with a possible additional -25% if you use mana potions -_-;
Hood is the Mage tank. It doesn't need to do a large amount of damage because it has an insane degree of survivability, which is the exact same argument that one may use for Beetle (Shell). Not to mention the fact that if you have to keep using Mana potions, then you're using the Hood wrong. Magic/Celestial Cuffs make for a very nice combination because it's very easy to get hit, then recover your health quickly.

Wait, why the battle potion?
So you can get enough kills in to advance to a later wave.

Hood is the Mage tank. It doesn't need to do a large amount of damage because it has an insane degree of survivability, which is the exact same argument that one may use for Beetle (Shell). Not to mention the fact that if you have to keep using Mana potions, then you're using the Hood wrong. Magic/Celestial Cuffs make for a very nice combination because it's very easy to get hit, then recover your health quickly.

So you can get enough kills in to advance to a later wave.
But I thought battle potions don't affect the spawn rates?

I'm very confused as to what this suggestion is suggesting. Something about nerfing armors/potions? Please clarify. (and use proper grammar)
Also, I have solo'd every boss in the game, and made it to Wave 18 in Frost Moon and Wave 15 in Pumpkin Moon. Solo. You said something about it is impossible to solo end-game bosses. Yrimir is proof that this is not true, and I have done it myself.

Back
Top Bottom