Game Mechanics Magic Mirror Button

IronTsunami

Skeletron
The Magic Mirror is quite possibly the most annoying thing you can accidentally click and activate when kept in the Hotbar. We've got a hookshot button, can we please get a button for the Magic Mirror? It could even consume a recall potion if you don't have a Magic Mirror.

It would be nice to not have to keep it in the Hotbar or constantly move it to the Hotbar when you want to use it.

Yes, but if you have a Magic Mirror button it doesn't matter whether you have pause on or off. Plus you don't accidentally toss it.

This seems entirely reasonable to me, though I would think one would be more likely to accidentally activate the Magic Mirror if it had a hotkey rather than accidentally select it in the hotbar and then use it.

Well you can always customize what button it is. My throw button is P just to make sure I never press it unless I absolutely want to. I figure with a button you can avoid scenarios such as keeping it on the Hotbar and accidentally scrolling to it with the mouse wheel or clicking on it if you play without locking the bar. I can't imagine any negative for having a button for it.

Well you can always customize what button it is. My throw button is P just to make sure I never press it unless I absolutely want to. I figure with a button you can avoid scenarios such as keeping it on the Hotbar and accidentally scrolling to it with the mouse wheel or clicking on it if you play without locking the bar. I can't imagine any negative for having a button for it.

Good point, and for the record, nor can I. Support.

No support.
You can just use it from inside your inventory, just drag it out and press left-click.

The reason that you have a grappling hook hotkey is so that it is actually useful; you can mine some ore hanging around high up or engage enemies while staying clear of their presence.

Using a magic mirror by mistake is as much of a player error as accidentally shooting yourself with a Sniper Rifle while using explosive bullets. Should I ask for a way to prevent killing myself with explosives too?

Hmm... A better way to think of it might be along the same vein as potions. We have buttons for buff potions, health potions, and mana potions. All three are used in certain circumstances, but not all the time.

A misused potion sets you back in terms of ingredients (Magic Mirror in terms of time). If it's during a boss, a misused health potion could only heal a fraction of its max and leave you with potion sickness (Magic Mirror would remove you completely and in most cases despawn the boss).

Because of this you don't want potions in your Hotbar so you don't use them by mistake; plus it makes more sense to have weapons or building materials available. Yet you still want ease of access to them when it comes to the times you need them. A quick health potion when in need can give you the health necessary to survive (Magic Mirror in a time of need can be crucial to saving your life, especially on mediumcore/hardcore). Those few seconds it takes to use a potion (or mirror) without a button can be the difference between survival and death.

Neither potions nor the Magic Mirror are items that get used constantly, but they're items people always carry with them because they do in fact need them. A button for them seems applicable.

So far a couple of people have stated why they think it's not a necessity to have. It's not a necessity, more of a convenience factor. I would like to ask this. Is there any reason why a Magic Mirror button would be a bad thing? In what way would it hurt the game?

id say yes, even though i might sometimes use it in a bad way (i missclick and press all the time) wich would suck.

Those few seconds it takes to use a potion (or mirror) without a button can be the difference between survival and death.

And if you aren't willing to take those risks, then you're just going to get used to not using it on the hotbar when not required.

So far a couple of people have stated why they think it's not a necessity to have. It's not a necessity, more of a convenience factor. I would like to ask this. Is there any reason why a Magic Mirror button would be a bad thing? In what way would it hurt the game?

If you have a Magic Mirror on your hotbar, it takes two steps to use it. Therefore, if you use it, then you are the one that pressed the number and clicked LMB.

If you have a dedicated hotkey for it, regardless of which key it is, it only takes one step to use it. I don't want that inconvenience of my hand slipping or something similar and accidentally pressing the key to teleport.

Those few seconds it takes to use a potion (or mirror) without a button can be the difference between survival and death.

Oh, here we go with that sharpshooting again.

Citing very specific situations where something may be useful isn't usually considered a valid argument in a debate. I could easily say "this 1% damage buff might mean life or death in a very specific situation where you're at low health and so is the boss", and for all we know it could but that kind of situation is very, very unlikely. And that's not a perfect example, since damage increases stack up, while this is a separate function.

Not to mention the fact that the main purpose of a magic mirror wasn't exactly so you could teleport out of dangerous situations, it was to stop players from killing themselves on purpose to get back home (You can see why purposefully stabbing yourself kind of ruins the mood.) . A potion is very much intended to be used in the middle of a battle or dangerous situation, Magic Mirror, not so much.

YES!!!! WE NEED MAGIC MIRROR/RECALL POTION HOTKEY!!!!

You don't know that the time when you focus on moving your mouse to your potion/mirror and move it out of screen to use it. that little time can make you die.
This is seriously needed.

No, there are too many buttons already.
my settings be like:
mount: C
buff: Z
heal: F
mana: V
inventory: R
hook: E
throw: Q
map: TAB
smart cursor: left alt

Just too many buttons.

I have to say no, then the mirror would be too fast to use and you could escape from death many times over, leaving no challenge. I like having to quickly pick it up from my inventory and click it before I die, I like the rush.

I've never really had a problem with accidentally using it or been impatient with having to open up my inventory and drag and click to use it or accidentally thrown it. Regardless I support the idea of having a hotkey for magic mirror/recall potions, it is something that is used often and with hardcore characters where you REALLY need to be able to use it in an instant, it would be helpful.

I've never really had a problem with accidentally using it or been impatient with having to open up my inventory and drag and click to use it or accidentally thrown it. Regardless I support the idea of having a hotkey for magic mirror/recall potions, it is something that is used often and with hardcore characters where you REALLY need to be able to use it in an instant, it would be helpful.
That's kind of how I feel about it. It doesn't hurt anything to have it, and people can map it to any key they want so they do/don't use it depending on preference. For example: I don't like the Throw key at all, so I map it to P to ensure I never press it.

It would be there for people who want it and doesn't need to be used by people who don't.

No, there are too many buttons already.
my settings be like:
mount: C
buff: Z
heal: F
mana: V
inventory: R
hook: E
throw: Q
map: TAB
smart cursor: left alt

Just too many buttons.
I'd hate to see you attempt to play Tinker or Invoker in Dota.

There's really not that many keys used in Terraria. And like I've said many times; people can map it to any key they want and they don't have to use it.

I still don't see any specific reasons why this would be considered a bad idea.

I have to say no, then the mirror would be too fast to use and you could escape from death many times over, leaving no challenge. I like having to quickly pick it up from my inventory and click it before I die, I like the rush.
The mirror takes like 2 seconds to actually teleport you.
I've actually accidently used a magic mirror so many times because I press 0 instead of 9 (Which is my flamethrower) and is really annoying.

Back
Top Bottom