tModLoader Magic Storage

I am running the latest version of this mod (0.4.3.3) on a dedicated server on my linux machine. Server works great and me and my friend have had 0 issues. Until now. We just reached the point of which we can craft magic storage stuff. I place a heart and a basic storage. They are connected, tried both wire and without wire (directly touching). It says 0/0 and I cant place any items. When both me and my friend relog, the whole chuck is gone. Fortunately I had backup on the world, but yeah. Tried again and the same thing happened :(

So it's GG using this mod multiplayer? :(
Using terraria dedi server version 1353 and tmodloader v0.10.1.5

I also get same error "Error on Message Terraria.MessageBuffer" when placing magic storage blocks. At least the storage ones

Hi I was wondering is there a way to upgrade the storage units without emptying them into chests? Or is this the only way to upgrade them?

Hi I was wondering is there a way to upgrade the storage units without emptying them into chests? Or is this the only way to upgrade them?
Don't you just hold the upgrade crystal and right click on the unit? I've never emptied a unit to upgrade them

Hey when i use magic storage in multiplayer i takes a chunk out of my spawn could you please help.

Images of before and after are linked

Qwerty, tremor, reduced grinding, luiafk, alchemist, wing slot, more modifiers, joost, magic storage, boss health bar, boss checklist, recipe browser, helpful npcs, wheres my items, auto trash, calamity, thorium, more recipes, spirit, full heath respwan, shorter respawn time, veinminer, sacred tool, more chest loot, fargo, weapon out, no angler timer, maxstackplus, no more tombs and invincible npcs.

Sorry for so many mods me and my friend are doing an extreme modded playthrough
Capture 2018-11-16 17_16_03.png
Capture 2018-11-16 17_09_25.png

Hey when i use magic storage in multiplayer i takes a chunk out of my spawn could you please help.

Images of before and after are linked

Qwerty, tremor, reduced grinding, luiafk, alchemist, wing slot, more modifiers, joost, magic storage, boss health bar, boss checklist, recipe browser, helpful npcs, wheres my items, auto trash, calamity, thorium, more recipes, spirit, full heath respwan, shorter respawn time, veinminer, sacred tool, more chest loot, fargo, weapon out, no angler timer, maxstackplus, no more tombs and invincible npcs.

Sorry for so many mods me and my friend are doing an extreme modded playthroughView attachment 213321 View attachment 213322
This has been discussed numerous times. It's because you have too much storage in that chunk. When in multiplayer, the packets that can get sent to each host by the server through the network are of limited size, and if your storage is in excess of that amount, the chunk will not load because the packets cannot be sent, or something along those lines.
This is a limitation of Terraria's engine and networking in general, not something that can easily be fixed on the mod's end. You'll have to open the world in singleplayer and create another storage system in a neighbouring chunk, and move some of your stored items over there, I'm afraid.

It was only the first upgrade which was 80 items
It didnt even work when i placed the think to the storage heart, it said it was not connected.

I have a question regarding limitations the game places on items in one single chunk.

Let's say I place 3000 items in a block of storage units connected to a storage heart. If I then place a series of storage connectors over into the next chunk, can I continue to place another block of storage units with 3000 items in?

If that doesn't work, do I have to make two entirely separated systems, with 2 storage hearts, each containing max 3000 items?

Also, do other items in the chunk count towards the 3000 limit?

Thanks for any replies, I'm confused about this all but I'm trying to future-proof my current two-player modded playthrough.

It was only the first upgrade which was 80 items
It didnt even work when i placed the think to the storage heart, it said it was not connected.
Oh. Well in that case it's very likely a mod conflict of some kind.
My guess is that the large number of other mods are also adding to the packet size, meaning that cap is reached far sooner, causing the chunk errors.
That's only my assumption based on what I know. It could also be some mod conflict or mismatching versions between each player on the server, or some other arcane bug.
I'd say try the following:
1. Make a backup of the server world and player files.
2. Make sure everyone on the server is running the most up-to-date version of each mod, and that nobody has any extra mods that could be causing issues.
3. Try moving the storage to a seperate, distant chunk that doesn't have many other complex blocks in it (i.e. no light sources, no furniture, no storage, no wires, etc. just dirt or stone or something) to see if it may be some other object in the same chunk that's reacting badly with the storage system.
4. If that doesn't work, uninstall a number of large mods, see if that fixes or at least reduces the problem. (Obviously this will cause massive issues, hence the backup) If that works, then unfortunately it means you'll need to choose to remove some mods, whether it be something big, or Magic Storage itself.
If none of that works, then it's probably some other weird issue, like maybe players being on different platforms (Windows, Linux, OSX, x86, x64, etc.) and some weird interaction with that, or something else.

I have a question regarding limitations the game places on items in one single chunk.

Let's say I place 3000 items in a block of storage units connected to a storage heart. If I then place a series of storage connectors over into the next chunk, can I continue to place another block of storage units with 3000 items in?

If that doesn't work, do I have to make two entirely separated systems, with 2 storage hearts, each containing max 3000 items?

Also, do other items in the chunk count towards the 3000 limit?

Thanks for any replies, I'm confused about this all but I'm trying to future-proof my current two-player modded playthrough.
To my knowledge:
Yes, they must be seperate systems, as two connected systems are technically just one big system. It would probably multiply the problem rather than fix it.
and yes, any items will add to the problem. If you have 2800 items in storage, and a bunch of chests in the same chunk containing another 201, it would likely cause the issue too, although there may be some variation on exact numbers depending on type of chest, which items, how many of which item, etc.

This has been discussed numerous times. It's because you have too much storage in that chunk. When in multiplayer, the packets that can get sent to each host by the server through the network are of limited size, and if your storage is in excess of that amount, the chunk will not load because the packets cannot be sent, or something along those lines.
This is a limitation of Terraria's engine and networking in general, not something that can easily be fixed on the mod's end. You'll have to open the world in singleplayer and create another storage system in a neighbouring chunk, and move some of your stored items over there, I'm afraid.
Dont think its a mod conflict issue. Same modpack on singleplayer world works, but not when hosted on a dedicated server.

Is there some way to relatively easily move your storage network?

Basically I'm creating a new world and just want to transfer my existing items over. Pretty much what I need is just a way to pick up the storage blocks with the items still inside, or alternatively, some form of portable unaccessible storage that I could transfer my items into, move my acessible storage to a new location, and transfer the items back in.

I'm assuming this isn't possible and I'm going to need to manually move them one inventory at a time, but I figured I'd check here before I start the long and arduous task.

Last edited:
Dont think its a mod conflict issue. Same modpack on singleplayer world works, but not when hosted on a dedicated server.
Nono, I mean that you probably have too many mods trying to send too much data at once. In singleplayer, this isn't an issue since the client and server are the same, but on multiplayer, the server and client are seperate, and need to exchange data, and there's a limit to how much data can be sent at once. If this limit is exceeded, then the chunk the data comes from does not load correctly.

Nono, I mean that you probably have too many mods trying to send too much data at once. In singleplayer, this isn't an issue since the client and server are the same, but on multiplayer, the server and client are seperate, and need to exchange data, and there's a limit to how much data can be sent at once. If this limit is exceeded, then the chunk the data comes from does not load correctly.
If thats the case, why wont the mod work at all? It wont show amount of space and I cant put any items in it. Says 0/0 and tried both cables and directly connected. As soon as the blocks are placed and you relog, the chunk is gone. So adding two blocks in a chunk (the heart and storage) breaks. Dont see how the limit causes this? Since I can add infinite amounts of items in chests and what not. :p Thanks for the reply btw.

Btw, on the github the solution is to run the server using mono. Which kinda proves that network message isnt the issue? Something is borked on the native linux binary I guess. https://github.com/blushiemagic/MagicStorage/issues/69

Noob question: how do you mine the crafting access? I accidentaly misplaced it and now can't remove it
As with any of the storage items (chests, storage units, etc), you need to remove anything that's inside it first. In this case, that would just be anything inside the seperate row where you place crafting stations. Then you should be able to just pickaxe it up and place it wherever.

Is there anyway to have an area force loaded when entering a game, as i have placed my storage far away and for it to work when loading a server i must run over to it which is a pain.

Is there anyway to have an area force loaded when entering a game, as i have placed my storage far away and for it to work when loading a server i must run over to it which is a pain.
I don't believe so. Your best bet would probably be to (if possible) install Wireless or Teleporters Unchained and use those to set up a quick teleport from spawn to the storage system.

The storage doesn’t work in multiplayer, and when I host a server while the storage is placed down it eats the whole chunk away. It didn’t happen before, please fix this!

The storage doesn’t work in multiplayer, and when I host a server while the storage is placed down it eats the whole chunk away. It didn’t happen before, please fix this!
This has been mentioned... Upward of a hundred times at this point. It should really be in bolded red text on the first post by now.

Your storage is too full. Multiplayer servers have a limit of how much data they can send to each client with every packet sent.
Normally this wouldn't be an issue, since you couldn't store enough data in a single chunk to cause issues, but with this mod in particular, you can store hundreds of chests worth of items in a single chunk, easily passing the limit and causing the chunk to not load.

This is, as of now, unsolvable on the mod's end, and is understood to be a limitation of Terraria's network code, or perhaps even the network itself.
You need to load the world in Singleplayer and remove items from storage. The limit is usually around 3000, but depending on how many mods you have loaded that could potentially be lower.

You can set up another unconnected storage network in another distant chunk, if you require more storage, just keep both under the limit, and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom