Weapons & Equip Making the Shark Tooth Necklace NOT borderline useless.

Dapling

Duke Fishron
The Shark Tooth Necklace always seemed... bizarre to me. It seems like a big maybe on how useful it is, and that's because it just gives you a flat 2-3 damage increase? I'm not really sure if I can think up a certain time it's been consistently helpful. Anyway. jere's my idea for giving an admittedly unique item a better place in the game.

• Increase the armor penetration from 5 to 20, I know this sounds broken, just bear with me.
  • Move it to hardmode blood moon fishing mobs. This item seems absolutely perfect for this position (goblin shark tooth necklace, perhaps?), and it would actually be helpful at this point, as things like the crystal storm, magical harp, and onyx blaster would benefit greatly from the extra 10 damage. It also would be stackable with ichor, but at that point that means -40 armor and I'm fairly certain armor can't go into the negatives in this game.

Last edited:
  • Move it to hardmode blood moon fishing mobs. This item seems absolutely perfect for this position (goblin shark tooth necklace, perhaps?), and it would actually be helpful at this point, as things like the crystal storm, magical harp, and onyx blaster would benefit greatly from the extra 10 damage.
:red:, why didn't I think of that?
  • It also would be stackable with ichor, but at that point that means -50 armor and I'm fairly certain armor can't go into the negatives in this game.
Well ackchyually, Ichor only lowers defense by 20, so you'd only be ignoring 40 defense. That's still really good, though.

Betsy's Wrath Lowers It By 40. Why?

And, Honestly, Shark Tooth Necklace Is Almost Useless Unless You're Using It With A Minishark Or Lightning Aura Rod. Not Cane, Not Staff, Rod.
The Rod already ignores enemy defense, making the sharktooth literally useless. The tooltip is lying, it's base damage is actually one third of what it tells you.

are you raging at me or red for making three different weapons blatantly lie to you in their tooltip?
Wait, Three?

Oh, All Three Version Of Lightning Aura.

Lightning Aura weapons completely ignore enemy defenses, by adding half the enemy's defense to the weapon's damage. The Lightning Aura Staff, for example, always inflicts around 34 damage on any enemy, regardless of its defense stat. The Lightning Aura weapons state tripled damage numbers in their tooltips as an estimate to reflect this unique ability.

Last edited:
Shark Tooth Necklace is perfectly fine as it is. 2-3 is basically 10%-20% extra damage on most Pre-Hardmode weapons, and that's as good as an accessory should be.

Don't make the only real combat item in Pre-Hardmode an Ichor clone that takes up a slot.
Yeah, I didn't realize ichor did 20 instead of 30. I probably should just rework it and give it a new recipe to craft it into.

Shark Tooth Necklace is perfectly fine as it is. 2-3 is basically 10%-20% extra damage on most Pre-Hardmode weapons, and that's as good as an accessory should be.

Don't make the only real combat item in Pre-Hardmode an Ichor clone that takes up a slot.
I Mean, It's A 33% To 50% Damage Boost For The Mini Shark, But A Measly 2% Damage Boost For A Nights Edge. Most Very Early Pre-Hardmode Weapons Get Absurd Damage Boosts From Shark Tooth Necklace, But 85% Of Pre-Hardmode Weapons Don't Get That Big Of A Boost.

The Shark Tooth Necklace Is A Double Edged Sword, Low Damage Weapons Get Hilarious Bonuses, And Higher Damage Ones Get A Very Small Bonus. I Mean, Any Weapon With Damage Exceeding 50 Gets A Lower Boost Then Menacing, And 200 Gets A Lower Damage Boost Then... Anything.

But A Measly 2% Damage Boost For A Nights Edge.

Why are you listing the thing with the highest base damage in pHM as an example of the "average" especially when it's actually a 7% increase which is still decentish.

Shark Tooth Necklace increases damage by 3 and almost every preHardmode weapon doesn't go above 30 base damage. There are exacly three things that have above 40 damage and get a "small" benefit from it: Flamelash, Flower of Fire, Night's Edge and Molten Fury with Ammo included. And all of them besides the last one happen to be bad so who cares.

Minishark doesn't become insane or absurd with STN. It becomes usable instead of mediocre on things with high defense, I don't know why people only look at this "combo" when ranking this accessory, especially when most tend to forget about the Bullet Damage. It's a PreHardmode Emblem and it's as good as it is right now, if you want this to be much better then might as well make the Emblems a 25% damage increase or something.

Last edited:
Why are you listing the thing with the highest base damage in pHM as an example of the "average" especially when it's actually a 7% increase which is still decentish.
Actually, I Wasn't Listing 2 Percent As The Average, But Sure, Take It Like That.
Shark Tooth Necklace increases damage by 3 and almost every preHardmode weapon doesn't go above 30 base damage. There are exacly three things that have above 40 damage and get a "small" benefit from it: Flamelash, Flower of Fire, Night's Edge and Molten Fury with Ammo included. And all of them besides the last one happen to be bad so who cares.
3 More Damage Can Be An Incredible Or Garbage Boost To DPS; That's My Point, It's A Static Boost. Using A Meowmere With Shark Tooth Necklace Is An Incredibly Stupid Idea. Using A Minishark With A Shark Tooth Necklace Is A 33%, At Worst, Boost To Damage.
Minishark doesn't become insane or absurd with STN.
I'll Say Again, 33% TO 50% Damage Boost.
It becomes usable instead of mediocre on things with high defense, I don't know why people only look at this "combo" when ranking this accessory, especially when most tend to forget about the Bullet Damage. It's a PreHardmode Emblem and it's as good as it is right now, if you want this to be much better then might as well make the Emblems a 25% damage increase or something.
Honestly, I Wasn't Even Looking At Minishark Judging This When I First Got It, I Was Looking At Lightning Aura Rod.

While Omega Derpling (And The Wiki) Said That LA Ignores Defense, I Still See This Thing Doing 70 Damage Against Target Dummies, Which Don't Have Any Defense, But Whatever, Off Topic.

Actually, I Wasn't Listing 2 Percent As The Average, But Sure, Take It Like That.

3 More Damage Can Be An Incredible Or Garbage Boost To DPS; That's My Point, It's A Static Boost. Using A Meowmere With Shark Tooth Necklace Is An Incredibly Stupid Idea. Using A Minishark With A Shark Tooth Necklace Is A 33%, At Worst, Boost To Damage.

Don't make me repeat myself. You listed something with 42 base damage to prove a point, when the average in preHardmode is 20-30 which benefits enough from the 3 damage up. The reason it's static is because if it scaled well into Hardmode then it would be dumb design because you don't want players to stick with the same combat accessory for half the game.

I'm going to assume you also think the Class Emblems with their 15% damage up are terrible items because apparently 33% is the minimum for you.

I'll Say Again, 33% TO 50% Damage Boost.

And yes, I know Minishark gets that much. And it better be that way, otherwise it's terrible on anything with high defense. And note, you are forgetting about the damage from the bullets here, which means it's not actually that big of an increase.

While Omega Derpling (And The Wiki) Said That LA Ignores Defense, I Still See This Thing Doing 70 Damage Against Target Dummies, Which Don't Have Any Defense, But Whatever, Off Topic.

Um, were you expecting the item that ignores defense to affect a target... that you knew doesn't have any defense?

Last edited:
Don't make me repeat myself. You listed something with 42 base damage to prove a point, when the average in preHardmode is 20-30 and that benefits enough from the 3 damage up.
I Also Said That The Minishark Gets A 33% To 50% Damage Boost, But I Don't See You Saying THAT's The Average.
I'm going to assume you also think the Class Emblems with their 15% damage up are terrible items because apparently 33% is the minimum for you.
That's A Percentage, Not A Static Boost Wtf. It's Going To Affect A Copper Shortsword The Same As A Meowmere. Honestly, Why Even Say That?
And yes, I know Minishark gets that much. And it better be that way, otherwise it's terrible on anything with high defense. And note, you are forgetting about the damage from the bullets here, which means it's not actually that big of an increase.
Minimum: 11 Damage. That's Still A 20% Boost.
Um, were you expecting the item that ignores defense to affect a target... that doesn't have any defense?
I Even Said That It Was Off Topic, But Sure Whatever.
The Rod already ignores enemy defense, making the sharktooth literally useless. The tooltip is lying, it's base damage is actually one third of what it tells you.
I Was Saying That Even Though He Said That, It Still Seems To Deal Its Complete Damage Against Target Dummies That Have Exactly 0 Defense To Ignore

I Was Saying That Even Though He Said That, It Still Seems To Deal Its Complete Damage Against Target Dummies That Have Exactly 0 Defense To Ignore
IIRC the equation that allows lightning auras to ignore defense only works properly if the target actually has defense to ignore. Or it could just be bugged against target dummies.

IIRC the equation that allows lightning auras to ignore defense only works properly if the target actually has defense to ignore. Or it could just be bugged against target dummies.
Possibly. I'll Have To Test It, Because That Seems Like A Weird Mechanic To Have For 3 Versions Of The Same Weapon In The First Place.

Back
Top Bottom