Other Game Minecraft Thread

A few hours was in Creative Mode -- I flew to the outer islands and found an End City/Ship (I accidentally destroyed the portal). I returned to the Overworld and placed all the new blocks (even 'unobtainable' blocks like Structure and Command Blocks) with the aim of updating resource packs to work with 1.9.

It seems combat was nerfed heavily. It would take up to five blows with a Diamond Sword enchanted Sharpness V and Fire Aspect II to kill a spider. I'm not overly concerned about that, per se, as I usually use unenchanted Iron Swords in Survival Mode for general exploration. But if it takes that long with such a powerful sword, farming enemies for items with weaker weapons may get tedious quickly. The changes just add delays to the game.

At the same time, I'm looking forward to continuing my builds with the new End Stone and Purpur Bricks. I've built them 'legit' in Survival without any mods or cheating, and I'd like to continue to do so. (Except for things impossible to obtain in Survival mode - one of the constructions is like a museum.) To update or not to update... or wait until 1.9.1 in case there were any issues with 1.9 that escaped testing. :)

Any mods that anyone can recommend? I'd like mods add new ores, blocks and/or biomes/dimensions, preferably compatible with 1.8. (The only thing I currently use is OptiFine.)

It seems combat was nerfed heavily. It would take up to five blows with a Diamond Sword enchanted Sharpness V and Fire Aspect II to kill a spider. I'm not overly concerned about that, per se, as I usually use unenchanted Iron Swords in Survival Mode for general exploration. But if it takes that long with such a powerful sword, farming enemies for items with weaker weapons may get tedious quickly. The changes just add delays to the game.

They are weaker, even if you attack with the power thingy to the maximum instead of spam-clicking. The slashing ability kinda' makes up for this though, all and all 1v1 is harder but dealing with mobs (of mobs) is easier.
Any mods that anyone can recommend? I'd like mods add new ores, blocks and/or biomes/dimensions, preferably compatible with 1.8. (The only thing I currently use is OptiFine.)

Only mods I used were Carpenter's Blocks, Forge Multipart and MinePainter. Guess which of them were updated past 1.7.10.

warning, rant incoming

yeah, I hate 1.9. you attack, and you have to wait about a second before you can attack again, which is HORRIBLE when fighting creepers. also, hunger goes down even faster now. I literally ate a mushroom stew, healed 3 hearts, AND WAS HUNGRY AGAIN. I didn't even heal all my hearts. making healing require hunger was probably the worst idea since laser sharks(guardians).

also, the dual wielding is so confusing, sometimes it uses the left item, sometimes the right, sometimes both. it's klunky and difficult to use at best. also, due to the item cooldown your tools and weapons spend a lot of time offscreen, as they go down offscreen whenever you scroll, attack, mine a block, etc. the sweep attack seems to be almost exactly the same as the normal attack and just makes things unnecessarily fancy.

shields are pretty much the only thing that actually works reliably in the offhand, but they cover way more of the screen than I'm comfortable with. I fell into a hole because I couldn't see the ground due to my shield. minecraft was never meant to be a combat oriented game, it's sandbox with some survival. adding complicated combat mechanics doesn't fit and just works badly.

oh, and then there's the fact that sharpness 3 does literally A QUARTER OF A HEART more than sharpness 2. as if it wasn't hard enough already to get decent gear what with durability, prohibitive enchant and repair cost, and finding diamonds. regen potions are basically useless now, as even natural regen is faster than regeneration 2, which only lasts about 20 seconds anyway.

apparently, they're not even done updating. I've seen plans for minecraft 1.10. the game is dead, just let it die. it's a festering corpse crawling with flies and maggots, just LET THE GAME DIE ALREADY.

I didn't even NEED to try 1.9. I saw the crap they were adding in and just said, "Nope." The only thing I like about what I've seen and heard is the new command block system. It allows for so many new map possibilities with less lag from my understanding. I'd say map and server potential is still good for MC, but the base game has gone to crap because they're making a complicated game out of something meant to be simple.

Combat had room for some tweaking, but it definitely seems like they went overboard, what with the dual wielding and cool down and shields and etc. I'm going to wait for 1.9.1+ before forming any lasting opinions, but it certainly seems like they are just making more stuff that modders will have to fix to make the game playable.

also, the dual wielding is so confusing, sometimes it uses the left item, sometimes the right, sometimes both. it's klunky and difficult to use at best. also, due to the item cooldown your tools and weapons spend a lot of time offscreen, as they go down offscreen whenever you scroll, attack, mine a block, etc. the sweep attack seems to be almost exactly the same as the normal attack and just makes things unnecessarily fancy.

The sweep attack can hit multiple enemies at once. It's pretty useful, though mostly if you prefer cutting and running, since actually killing stuff is harder than ever even with this.

Dual wielding on the other hand is about as pointless as it gets. The theory is that you're able to place or mine blocks and attack enemies at the same time by holding a tool or block in one hand and a weapon in the other, the only problem is... well, how exactly do you attack something while mining or placing a block?

The other use would be shields. They work, but if you really think about it it's really just an animation change, replacing the ability to block with your sword. Speaking of which, where is the most obvious use for this system?! DUAL :red:ING WIELDING! Wielding and using two weapons at once! Not only it makes sense, but it actually brings some much needed balance given the new changes in blocking and attack speed! You use two weapons at once, increasing your DPS (which is :red: right now) but sacrifice blocking, or use a single weapon with a shield and increase your defense (since you'd be able to block and sweep)! It's such a no-brainer!

Currently the thing that I like with Minecraft is having creative mode and then doing something weird. The game isn't funny anymore...

The thing I don't understand about the "Combat" Update is why it was necessary. People say there's no skill in left-click spamming. That's also true of mining, but no-one is suggesting mining should change. Or "Han clicked first" and that's unfair. Well, that's still the case, only now there's a one second delay in every click.

The changes and complexity - for single player or cooperative play - are for nothing. There are four enemies you'll see at any given time (Zombie, Skeleton, Creeper, Spider). There are a further three enemies you might see if you're lucky (Witch, Enderman, Slime). All but one of those have the same strategy: run up to it and smack it until it stops moving. (The Creeper you usually run away from.)
Two bosses. One of which needs a bow and the other uses spam-clicking.

To improve combat, they should have added more options for it. More weapons, more potions, more armour, more enchantments. Let people customise their fighting style and setup. I think most people would enjoy that. More items to find and craft and play with! :)

apparently, they're not even done updating. I've seen plans for minecraft 1.10. the game is dead, just let it die. it's a festering corpse crawling with flies and maggots, just LET THE GAME DIE ALREADY.
I haven't seen anything about 1.10 - would you be able to share?

I really hope 1.9 won't be known as the first update such that Minecraft becomes Hackslash. I like the game too much to see it change in such a way. :(

To improve combat, they should have added more options for it. More weapons, more potions, more armour, more enchantments. Let people customise their fighting style and setup. I think most people would enjoy that. More items to find and craft and play with! :)

That would involve MoJang doing actual work instead of arguing with haters on Twitter and looking incompetent at Minecon. You know nothing of game development!

You know nothing of game development!
But I do work as a developer writing software for clients. They're not much better! :D ("Work" being a relative term as I spend my working hours on the Terraria forums. Like now.)

----

My brother was showing me his creations last night. He's built a huge and detailed Asian-themed cathedral and houses using Purpur blocks and End Stone Bricks. It's rather impressive! Then randomly, he says to me: "Have you noticed combat in 1.9 has been nerfed? Like really nerfed? And not in a good way. I could kill a spider with 3 hits with a Diamond Sword, now it's more like a dozen."
Someone who spends all his time in Creative Mode, has never read 1.9 patch notes and wouldn't know 1.9 was released if not for me telling him has picked up on the changes...

I just found this little gem on the Minecraft Wiki for 1.9.1:
New option enableWeakAttacks in options.txt
Setting to false will disable weapon cooldown.
. . .
Missing an attack no longer triggers the weapon cooldown.

Seems like we already have some backtracking? Not that I am complaining of course - if there were a way to disable/remove the weapon cooldown, I'd have no problems with 1.9.

Seems like we already have some backtracking? Not that I am complaining of course - if there were a way to disable/remove the weapon cooldown, I'd have no problems with 1.9.
Seems I spoke too soon and got my hopes up early. There was more information added and the "enableWeakAttacks" option actually prevents you attacking if the cooldown is too low.

It's strange enough that the cooldown meter isn't even displayed by default (which I imagine led to a lot of people thinking "Weapon, y u no work?!"), but to now add an option to prevent attacks altogether? Why...? The whole thing seems to be going from bad to worse - the changes now seem to be almost universally disliked. Either people prefer the 1.8 combat and dislike the changes, or they like the 1.9 combat and dislike the further changes.
Probably just going to end up waiting for a mod for it or seeing how it ultimately turns out. I imagine MCPatcher and/or OptiFine and/or others will have one eventually. But otherwise, it's a topic that seems too heated for discussion for now.

Honestly cant say I'm a fan of how combat is currently, though on the same topic of the game: why is there only one type of shield? That kinda seems like commonly overlooked in Minecraft: variety/options. World-wise it still feels very empty (looking at you beach and ocean biome) and I'm honestly surprised they haven't put in trees like maple or palm yet.

I stopped playing minecraft recently as ftb launcher just crashes. :mad:. Moved on to terraria, probably not gonna get mods as they seem to hate my computer.

I love Minecraft, or at least everything 1.8 below. The Combat update is not necessary. Fortunately, there's a way you can go back certain updates. I barely play with mods, I play on servers, and if I ever do play on Multiplayer servers, I have a friend with me there, it's more fun with a friend on Skype.

However, I play the game rarely, and I build stupid or serious stuff with my friends now if I do.

Minecraft YouTubers? Don't get me started on them. Apparently one of the most popular people in the community right now is PopularMMO's? I don't like his channel. Bashur? This man has gone insane? STAMPYLONGHEAD!? AUGGHH! The only Minecraft YouTuber, and I say ONLY, that I find good is ZexyZek, but now he's starting to get more variety in his channel.

Minecraft as a game is starting to take a wrong turn. The community is already pretty bad, but it's a good concept and can be really fun at times.

I love Minecraft, or at least everything 1.8 below. The Combat update is not necessary. Fortunately, there's a way you can go back certain updates. I barely play with mods, I play on servers, and if I ever do play on Multiplayer servers, I have a friend with me there, it's more fun with a friend on Skype.

However, I play the game rarely, and I build stupid or serious stuff with my friends now if I do.

Minecraft YouTubers? Don't get me started on them. Apparently one of the most popular people in the community right now is PopularMMO's? I don't like his channel. Bashur? This man has gone insane? STAMPYLONGHEAD!? AUGGHH! The only Minecraft YouTuber, and I say ONLY, that I find good is ZexyZek, but now he's starting to get more variety in his channel.

Minecraft as a game is starting to take a wrong turn. The community is already pretty bad, but it's a good concept and can be really fun at times.
PythonGB is good, as he is good at building and quite serious.

Which minecraft you tubers are good and bad is all opinion. I like Skydoesminecraft and Ssundee, but other people might not.

For youtubers, I do Skydoesminecraft a little, Yogscast (namely Sjin for his building skills).

Modded MC between 1.6-1.8 seem to be the better of the bunch.. 1.7.10 namely. Playing Resonant Rise 3 on ATLauncher, latest 3.x. Only reason I may burn out is I cant seem to find servers with mods I like. :X
Hosting wouldnt be a problem if I had another computer similar to the one I'm on. x-x

Back
Top Bottom