Mobile Multiplayer Not Working on Android Version Running on Chromebook

JS

Terrarian
Dozens of Chromebook models now support Android apps (and have for nearly a year). Running Terraria on two Chromebooks (Asus C101) and trying to run multiplayer does not seem to work. The world started on one device does not show up on the other. Has anyone looked into this problem? This is like some NAT-ing issue, and I wonder if this there's some way to support it.

Dozens of Chromebook models now support Android apps (and have for nearly a year). Running Terraria on two Chromebooks (Asus C101) and trying to run multiplayer does not seem to work. The world started on one device does not show up on the other. Has anyone looked into this problem? This is like some NAT-ing issue, and I wonder if this there's some way to support it.
Hi there JS, welcome to the forums. :)

I’ve had one other person asking about playing multiplayer using a Chromebook running mobile Terraria. They had one Chromebook and one tablet, everything else looked fine (same version, same network), but multiplayer didn’t work.

I’m not sure if it’s supposed to work or not, but it doesn’t seem to. Sorry that’s not a lot of help.

Some additional insight...

Apparently mDNS is supported across ChromeOS/Android, but incoming connections are not (which is probably the issue). However, incoming connection could be forwarded from ChromeOS to the Android container, but this would require that Terraria allow entering the IP-address of the server instead of just auto-discovery.

I also set up an OpenVPN server and connected both devices through an Android(-side) client. This should have worked but didn't.

I also tried Android-side PPTP (this maybe should have worked), and ChromeOS-side L2TP (this should not have worked). Neither of those worked.

So, no luck so far.

Some additional insight...

Apparently mDNS is supported across ChromeOS/Android, but incoming connections are not (which is probably the issue). However, incoming connection could be forwarded from ChromeOS to the Android container, but this would require that Terraria allow entering the IP-address of the server instead of just auto-discovery.

I also set up an OpenVPN server and connected both devices through an Android(-side) client. This should have worked but didn't.

I also tried Android-side PPTP (this maybe should have worked), and ChromeOS-side L2TP (this should not have worked). Neither of those worked.

So, no luck so far.
Hi JS, another member @Nalawa63 received some info from Chromebook Help Forum. Multiplayer for mobile Terraria on Chromebook won’t work. You can read the full thing here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?posts/1683271/

Back
Top Bottom