New 1.3.3 items

I believe tying everything that dropped to the new miniboss was a mistake. It just smacks of the same as recent new updates, just plopping down a new attraction for old players to go and gobble up.

Unfortunately, not all updates can be tons of new content for "vets who have mastered the entire game" to get tons of new gameplay out of. This update focused on fleshing out a biome which, until this point, was somewhat underwhelming. The majority of this content was aimed at the early hardmode stage, not exactly intended as a new attraction for end game characters. Taken as a whole, I believe it offers a pretty complete experience now, but these additions weren't exactly something that's going to provide months of gameplay like a major update (1.1, 1.2., 1.3, etc). For "old players", yes, that's how its going to feel, but that isn't the intention of these additions. One of the biggest pieces of feedback from 1.3 was "expand the desert/underground desert", and this did. Some people will always ask for more, but this update DID add a good bit of content to that section of the game.

No new drops from Tomb Crawlers, Sand Slimes, Vultures, Dune Splicers, Sand Poachers, Antlions, or Swarmers, no new uses for their previous drops. No drops from Sand Sharks or variants other than banners, or Angry Tumblers. Though the inside joke about Tumblers being Angry is almost worth it.

As for that, not every enemy needs a drop, and not every enemy needed new drops. Sand Slimes, just as a really easy example, have very little reason to be given a drop . . . almost all slimes just drop gel anyway.

Sand Sharks drop Shark Fins, and alt variants drop light and dark shards, which, along with Mummies, make them the component source for two of the new items added to the update which are notably NOT tied to the new miniboss in any way. I'd say this is enough to sustain them as useful enemy.

I would have liked to see content additions for Dune Splicers and Sand Poachers, personally. But, again, not every enemy needs a drop, and Ghouls, Antlion Chargers, Lamias, Basilisks and Desert Spirits DID get new drops, so I think things balance out a bit better than your post would indicate. This doesn't mean I wouldn't want to revisit Dune Splicers/Sand Poachers at a later date, but its ultimately not my call with what ends up being added.

I'm totally on board with that. I was as excited as the next person for something happening to the hitherto ignored desert biome. Lots of the enemies have reasons to pay more attention to now, if you wanna look like a Lamia or take the melee shortcut through cactus and mandible blade and completely ignore wood and ore weapons until after EoW. Sand sharks make fins a lot more accessible too. That said there are enemies in there that are still a bit irritating to fight when you know there's no reward for it forthcoming.

Poachers and Splicers are some of the ones that buzz around down there the most but they're still pretty bereft of point. Even new vanities or minor crafting materials would do it. Heck, I'd be thrilled if the Splicers dropped piles of sand, that stuff isn't incredibly plentiful without digging up your desert or ocean.

I love what you've done with the desert. I like how this simple looking game keeps on getting more and more awesome effects. The background in hell for one and now the heat effect in the desert and the awesome sandstorm... There was a time where the sun was just a flat-looking sprite. Even though the game's engine seems limited, you keep on surprising me.

One thing I'd like to see though: How about making the hard to get pyramid items (flying carpet, sandstorm in a bottle, whateverthatoutfitscalled) available in the desert as well? I consider the sandstorm in a bottle especially important (to me anyway). Maybe through crate fishing or just some recipe where a cloud and/or blizzard in a bottle are combined with a magic sand dropper. Sure, that'd mean it'd only be available at the start of hardmode (when you find the wizard), but that's where this item gets most of its use from me anyway. And it'd really save people from generating a hundred maps (slight exaggeration, unless the RNG decides to screw you over) to find that bottle.

And the ancient cloth could be used to craft the magic carpet as well as that whateverthatoutfitscalled, giving more reasons for that cloth to drop than just that one outfit.

Edit: Oh, I posted this in a very inappropriate thread. Soz. Don't sue me, I am as poor as dirt. Actually, feel free to sue me, I am as poor as dirt.

One thing I'd like to see though: How about making the hard to get pyramid items (flying carpet, sandstorm in a bottle, whateverthatoutfitscalled) available in the desert as well? I consider the sandstorm in a bottle especially important (to me anyway). Maybe through crate fishing or just some recipe where a cloud and/or blizzard in a bottle are combined with a magic sand dropper. Sure, that'd mean it'd only be available at the start of hardmode (when you find the wizard), but that's where this item gets most of its use from me anyway. And it'd really save people from generating a hundred maps (slight exaggeration, unless the RNG decides to screw you over) to find that bottle.

And the ancient cloth could be used to craft the magic carpet as well as that whateverthatoutfitscalled, giving more reasons for that cloth to drop than just that one outfit.

I'm not sure how likely it is that early pre-HM items are going to be given a renewable HM-only source. Most of them aren't much good at that point, and while the inner collector in me totally understands where you are coming from, it hasn't been a trend I've seen for the most part. Crate Fishing is a potential idea, but I'm not sure if desert and fishing is something that really mingles, and once again boils down to "not my call". If I had to put toss my hat in the ring in favor of a new fishing crate, it would be Ocean or Ice Crates, but that's just me. :)

I had 30% odds on the pyramid items being redistributed in this update before I knew what was coming. That could be another thing the wormies could drop, albeit at a farming-prohibitive rate. Also the Sandstorm Bottle in particular, not as it's own item but a component of the Bundle of Balloons, which is still plenty viable in early HM, would definitely thus have a place as loot here given the Sandstorm becomes accessible immediately after the transition to HM.
I am aware that sentence was strangely structured.

Edit: Oh, I posted this in a very inappropriate thread. Soz. Don't sue me, I am as poor as dirt. Actually, feel free to sue me, I am as poor as dirt.

But dirt can grow Strange Plants on it, which can be traded for dyes worth several gold!

@Leinfors: Yeah, I just gave a lousy hardmode required recipe perhaps, but to me the most important thing is to have these rare items available. They basically did this for about every other item through fishing, would be nice if they extended it. :)

A yellow balloon coupled with wings makes you take off so fast that it's basically the only thing I need when fighting the Duke. But perhaps a white balloon might work about as well. Never tried it.
Anyway, in the end I'm not really bothered. Whenever I make a new character nowadays I just edit in a sandstorm in a bottle and allow myself to use it after I get a blizzard in a bottle and have visited the inner desert. Still, would be nice for OCD people like me who want all their characters and/or collections to be 'complete'. :)

But dirt can grow Strange Plants on it, which can be traded for dyes worth several gold!
Not my dirt. You thought the merchant's dirt is extra dirty? Mine's mineral poor and irradiated.

My main focus when the update came out was farming the Lamia vanity set, for the sake of more costumes.
You'd be amazed how much smaller a 1% drop rate is than a 4% drop rate. I had gotten tons of Sun Masks and Moon Masks before I got all three pieces of the Lamia set.
In fact, I actually was previously unaware as to how to get said Sun and Moon Masks, because I previously had little reason to stay in the underground desert for any extended period of time.

I'm suspecting the "desire sensor" followed me out of Monster Hunter and into other games.

Crate Fishing is a potential idea, but I'm not sure if desert and fishing is something that really mingles
Well, to be fair, "dungeon" and "fishing" isn't exactly something that mingles well either. At least a desert has a chance of a natural oasis. There's a lot of people that would appreciate a desert crate to make pyramid loot not be as borderline-unobtainable as it currently is, but as you said, not your call.

Where's the pharaoh? You have pyramids don't be fake

HeDead.jpg

But you can still find his clothes. :)

Crate Fishing is a potential idea, but I'm not sure if desert and fishing is something that really mingles, and once again boils down to "not my call". If I had to put toss my hat in the ring in favor of a new fishing crate, it would be Ocean or Ice Crates, but that's just me. :)

Dungeon fishing doesnt really make much sense either :p I actually built two fishing holes in the desert expecting at least new fishing quests there, as theres currently nothing at all. Ah well. Ocean and Ice crates are a definite yes though

Back
Top Bottom