Game Mechanics New game+ : the last brick of completion this game needs.

Sarrih

Terrarian
Hello everyone! As a (relatively) seasoned Terraria player, I welcomed expert mode brought by the 1.3 with open arms. Having had played the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours, there was barely any challenge left that the game could offer me, and the only way for me and my friends to face a good challenge was to limit ourselves in our playstyle. The 1.3 made the game as a whole harder with expert mode, and the bosses a whole lot more challenging, giving the healing/tanking armors a better reason to exist.

But now I face the same problem : the game barely shows any resistance when going through it, I know everything about it, and it doesn't feel especially mechanically challenging anymore. Moreover, there is always a sort of lingering frustration once you've beaten the Moon Lord in expert : you have all this extremely powerful gear, but it is useless, you have nothing to prove anymore, no harder challenge to face yet, even though you wished you could make use of it so bad.

So, what's my idea? A "new game+" sort of thing you can find in roguelikes and such. After having beaten the Moon Lord in expert, you would be given the option to create a "new game+" world. The difficulty of expert mode would pale in comparison of a new game+ world, as it would be designed for characters that have already beaten the Moon Lord and are equipped accordingly. Everything would be different, the monsters, much more frantic, powerful and aggressive, the bosses as well would be revamped of course. This game mode could also feature a time limit (where you have to defeat the Moon Lord, OR most bosses, OR all of them as well as the events), or a death limit, something to make it a big challenge to undertake, where failure is an option. How I see it, the difficulty would be so that the Eye of Cthulhu represents an equal, if not larger threat than the Moon Lord. Loots/rewards would be upscaled significantly for you to progress through the world and defeat the subsequent bosses, and more options would be given.

Furthermore, new game+ would be unending. Once you've beaten the first instance of "new game+", there would be a "new game+1", where the difficulty is yet increased, the time limit decreased, etc. as to give players limitless challenge and limitless content.

I truly wished something like that would be implemented into the game, although I realize it would probably be a massive undertaking. The positive aspect of this idea, I assume, is that, just like expert mode, it would add more "content" into the game without actually adding new biomes, enemies and such, although modifying every single one of them would probably be required. I love and always have loved Terraria, but I'm starting to feel more and more assured that some sort of unstoppable upscaling difficulty is what this game lacks. It would make multiplayer armors more sensical, and make the game endless, so to not be left with the feeling of "hungry for more" once a game has been completed.

Thanks for reading! I know there already were suggestions to add more to the game's content/difficulty once you have completed it, but I never really saw an idea along the lines of "new game+" like I thought of it. Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom