Paint is one of the most useful features in the game for building, and it's already very versatile and expansive in its color selection. However, there are a few key things I believe are missing that I think would be good if they were added:
- A darker brown: The current brown paint is more of a tanish color. I like this color a lot, but a variant for a darker brown, perhaps something like the shade used in these forums, would be very nice.
- Rarity paints: Firstly, metallic paints. These probably wouldn't be good for every metal, for example, cobalt probably wouldn't be useful because we have so many blues already. However, something like gold, silver, copper, and metallic colors which don't already have a standard paint equivalent would be a good addition. They could be made of other materials, too, for example, the Broken Hero Sword could make Terra Paint, Beetle Shells could make a dark purple paint, and souls could make a shimmering color effect paint. This could give a new use to items which lose all purpose after a certain point. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has Hero Swords just lying around, doing nothing.) I think these should be crafted rather than bought, to make them an expensive item, a sort of fashion statement. Luminite paint would be especially cool. If these are sold, they should be tied to game progression and be very expensive.
- Ghostly paint: This would make a block be semi-transparent, something like half of its regular opacity. This could be crafted with ectoplasm, fitting into the above suggestion.
- Delluminant paint: Exactly the same as illuminant paint, except it makes things appear completely dark. Good for when you want very specific ambience.
- Combination paints: Currently, there are some cases where you need to chose between paints even if you don't want to. Do you want something to be painted red, or do you want it to be painted illuminant? Why not both? Rather than adding a multi-layer system to paint, I think you should be able to craft illuminant and ghostly variants of all the other paints, similar to crafting deep variants at a dye vat. Perhaps other combinations could be useful too.