No Man's Sky....a failure?

leelustig

Terrarian
With the grossly anticipated title finally on the market, Metacritic's User Reviews are...not great, albeit being completely polarized: 499 green reviews VS 485 red ones, and zero yellow ones (people who are caught in the middle). I don't think that is a very good sign, not that I'm surprised in the least bit.

I was not one of those who pre-ordered the game. Personally I didn't care for the overall look of it - a little too Dr. Seuss-ish for my liking. And when someone flexes their programming muscles to brag about 'quantity' (the Quintilian planets and all that fluff) we should also expect 'quality'. Most gamers underestimate how difficult it is to have both quality and quantity. Not to mention any time something gets a disgusting amount of hype, it's usually to salvage a sinking ship. I just think it's amazing that everyone claims to want this new, vast sandbox experience, not realizing that Terraria already exists. I honestly don't see the Sandbox genre doing any better any time soon.

Before you decide to ignore the User reviews because...they're just user reviews, take a look at this extremely negative No Man's Sky review which I believe is very well written by someone who clearly knows video games well, and is highly articulate (this sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not. I just think this person really nailed it.)

Rather poor, lazy and generic survival elements covered up by shallow and boring exploration. The game certainly is pretty when you're ignoring the 30fps frame cap, annoying pop-in and graphical bugs, horridly pulled in FOV and other graphical nit picks. But aside from gorgeous music and selectively gorgeous visuals, the game doesn't have much to offer.

Your super limited inventory space (even after upgrades) makes exploration a chore that you simply can't partake in as you'll have almost no inventory space to spare when you factor in upgrades and resources for just maintaining your redundant hazard and life support meters. Your best hope while exploring is finding some super boring wildlife that simply runs away when you get near it, or looking at plants that look like slightly different than real world counterparts (trees, cacti etc.). Its also not very fun discovering planets, wildlife or plants when you have no one to show off too. Sure you could post pictures around, but that would only remind you that everyone else has probably seen a permutation of your planet, and that sort of kills your experience and sense of accomplishment. Discovering doesn't feel fun, isn't rewarding or worthwhile, so why bother?

What about survival elements? Well you have a health bar that refuses to deplete no matter how much enemies shoot you (read: its impossible to die this game is so easy) and a lazy, generic "Life support" and "Hazard suit" gauge that depletes based on planetary conditions that when depleted decreases your health. The way to refill the gauges is simply using the insanely common resources around you, meaning they never deplete. So survival is a non-issue at all times, and death doesn't set you back at all... Nice...

Combat is equally frustrating, with poor aiming mechanics and lackluster enemy variety and design, even when in later biomes closer to the center of the universe. There is no depth, there is no fun to be had in on-foot combat, and ship combat doesn't really change much at all. Fighting enemy starships is a tedious "blown one up blown em all up" affair, and outside of pirates occasionally trying to blow you out of the sky (while failing to put up a fight might I add) you'll probably forget your ship even has guns attached to it.

The trade and economy system are lackluster. Galaxies have different values for items, but with such limited space and no way of knowing what the next galaxy's trade rates are, keeping your selling items (indicating by green boxes) in-between trips is sort of impossible when you're always bleeding for inventory room. Trading with NPCs is sort of pointless as well, seeing as how they all behave the same way and you always get the feeling like you're paying or losing out on trades to get next to no benefit.

What's my incentive to explore any of these planets when my inventory is basically full of resources I need to refill my life support, radiation suit, lift-off power, gas, mining energy, blast bullets etc. knowing that I will probably find literally nothing of worth there?

What's my incentive to buy the dozens of ship, gun and suit upgrades when they take up inventory slots that I can't afford to lose as is?

Why the does the gun itself take up a gun inventory slot?

Why does dropping things from my inventory make them disappear forever?

Why have I been to 2 space stations and not found a single inventory space upgrade for my suit or ship or even a suit.ship salesmen?

Why are the alien lifeforms so drab and boring? Why are the interactions with them so pointless and generic?

Why does this game have such a useless reputation system with alien races that is so black and white it makes Fallout 4's system look complex?

Why is the auto-aim system and shooting things so damn clunky and garbage?

Why does my screen flash red as if I'm about to die everytime I take even minor damage? That's so misleading and annoying. Getting hit hard looks just as jarring as being hit a little, what the hell?

Why doesn't any enemy I find offer me any remote semblance of challenge or danger?

Why does exploring planets that don't offer anything interesting take eons due to slow walk speed and run speeds and limited sprint?

Out of the 3 planets I've visited (each with 9-11 species each) why have I run into almost the exact same monster design multiple times on each planet for different species and why does every monster behave the exact same way (just run away when I'm near even after feeding them)?

Why does the game feel the constant need to remind me the controls of the game with no way to turn them off?

Why does the game feel the need to shove waypoints that I didn't choose down my throat without a way to turn them off?

Why are the 2 resource bars so annoying and forcing me to constantly open up my menu and shove common as hell resources into them? They aren't building tension, they aren't even remotely difficult to manage, they're just annoying and lazy

Avoid like the plague

I think that's the trouble with so much drama surrounding a game - everyone gets so hyped up that they forget to actually think it might not be great. To me, it sounds like a game that would get boring quite quickly, with no story or overarching goal. In fact, the size of it makes it less appealing in a way, as it means you cannot complete it - you could spend thousands of years and not be close.

The question is what about the update.

It may have started poorly but we should wait a little while before relying on the reviews. We should also wait for the hype to die down. It may give a false positive.

Reminds me of the 4th time I Fell Out
Fell out of what? Finish your sentences.

Terrible attempt at humor aside I think I know what you mean. They released something that seems almost unfinished. Because of what it was there were people blindly following it. It was a good game, just not as good as it should have been. There were also quite a few people on the old Bethesda forums claiming that it was the worst thing ever. Kind of hard to get a good guess of how it actually is.

I don't understand the "There's a quintillion planets to explore!" marketing. That's like saying Minecraft has a quintillion blocks in it. It's meaningless. It's procedurally generated, which means sooner or later, people will start to notice patterns and common themes. It's the same with all procedurally generated games.

I inclined to agree it is/it will be a victim of hype. I'll wait a week or so before deciding whether to get it. (I'm on the hunt for another mining/exploration game.)

Review on Ars Technica is mixed: link. Probably spoilers.

I was referring to my "fell out of what" comment.
Spoiler: It's a reference to Fallout 4. :)

Spoiler: It's a reference to Fallout 4. :)
I know that...I think that you know that I know, no?

I was referring to fallout 4 with this text.
They released something that seems almost unfinished. Because of what it was there were people blindly following it. It was a good game, just not as good as it should have been. There were also quite a few people on the old Bethesda forums claiming that it was the worst thing ever.

Nope, I didn't know. I haven't played Fallout 4. :)
Ah. Long story short they embrace the "modders will fix it" mentality a little too much.

Wow, I really derailed this thread a bit.

I noticed that the only two things for the NMS community are an official Facebook page and a sub reddit. This does not look good for the purposes of suggestions.

Honestly, I've bought a lot of games that got reviews that weren't that great, but you know? I loved those games anyway. On the flipside, I've bought way too many games that got endless praise that I didn't even remotely enjoy. At this point, I don't even trust reviews anymore. They've lied to me too many times.

You guys should try ARC: SE if you want a really good exploration/RPGs game that isn't ridiculously repetitive @Sigma90

Ark: SE sounds like a game my dad would love. He really likes dinosaurs.

Don't try rust unless you've got at least 5-10 friends joining you

Psychotic people that kill every single person they meet are the vast majority of players, and they usually travel in packs too

Those who are a bit more kind either die off after a while or become part of the monsters they're trying to fight

Back
Top Bottom