Pausing when tabbed out

Aeriella

Terrarian
Hello,

As of 2 days ago my Terraria has been pausing when I switch to another screen. Normally the music would keep playing and the game would keep running, but this, for some reason, has stopped. Firstly, the "Auto Pause" in options is set to disabled. I have tried loading my world in Multiplayer as some have said that it remedies the pause when minimized, but that didn't help either. Upon some further looking into the problem I stumbled upon a suggestion that the "Borderless Window" option under "Resolution" could pause the game if enabled when the game is minimized. Trying to toggle this option didn't remedy my problem either. Another peculiar thing to notice is that when I first launch my Terraria, and I tab out, the game does keep running (although without the music, which didn't happen before either). The pausing only starts whenever I load my world.

I tried looking on a more global scale for other games that might have this problem and I found someone who suggested to put the "bAlwaysActive=1" string into the options .ini or .json file. Although, I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to programming/coding so any attempts at inputting the string didn't work out well.

As a last resort I turn to the Terraria forum community hoping that you can help me solve this problem.

This is intentional and on purpose. The 1.3.5 update actually fixed a bug where this WOULDN'T happen.
So when you say that it used to not pause when switching to another window, that's a bug.

This is intentional and on purpose. The 1.3.5 update actually fixed a bug where this WOULDN'T happen.
So when you say that it used to not pause when switching to another window, that's a bug.

Thanks for the fast replies. So basically we have to wait until the developers fix the issue?

No, it is actually not an "issue." It isn't supposed to run while you are tabbed away, apparently.
When it happened for us, that was a bug.

I am playing on a laptop and it's impractical for me to have my Terraria window open literally all the time, unable to reply to messages, looking up things on youtube, browsing music on spotify etc etc; things I did in-between for the past 1.5 years or so. Especially when waiting for certain cycles or day/night time to pass. The list goes on.

So far I know, minimalising Terraria using the hotbar (not the minimise button on the top-right) still keeps the game running.

But it's a while since I've played it and I don't know if that's still present in it's current version, but it's worth a try.

So far I know, minimalising Terraria using the hotbar still keeps the game running.

But it's a while since I've played it and I don't know if that's still present in it's current version, but it's worth a try.
For me, it doesn't work when it is minimized, so I think it has definitely been patched.

So far I know, minimalising Terraria using the hotbar (not the minimise button on the top-right) still keeps the game running.

This doesn't work for me either. Simply placing another window on top of Terraria whilst still being visible still pauses it. I guess it's an intentional patch as stated above after all.

Last edited:
For me, it doesn't work when it is minimized, so I think it has definitely been patched.
I just tested it out and it still seem to work fine in my way. I can minimise the game, open different windows and work in the windows while I can still hear the game's still running. It's minimized, but you can still hear the music and sound effects coming from the game.
Currently playing 1.3.5.3.

I'll show the button I press to keep the game running while minimized:
butt on.gif

PS, this is not possible in fullscreen.

I just tested it out and it still seem to work fine in my way. I can minimise the game, open different windows and work in the windows while I can still hear the game's still running. It's minimized, but you can still hear the music and sound effects coming from the game.
Currently playing 1.3.5.3.

I'll show the button I press to keep the game running while minimized:
View attachment 175936
PS, this is not possible in fullscreen.

I noticed that you're at the start screen. For me it also keeps running when I minimize it at the start screen (either alt-tab or just clicking the icon on the taskbar). It starts pausing when I loaded into a world already though. Have you tried loading into a world and then minimizing it as well?

I noticed that you're at the start screen. For me it also keeps running when I minimize it at the start screen (either alt-tab or just clicking the icon on the taskbar). It starts pausing when I loaded into a world already though. Have you tried loading into a world and then minimizing it as well?
Yes, it worked in the game as well, I was only at the title screen because I was already done testing, but still wanted to show the button anyways.
It works also when loading a world, then it went on pause right when the world is loaded, I think the same thing happened with creating a new world as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: it doesn't pause when tabbed out if you're doing online/multiplayer stuff.

So, yes, if you want to have it running, start a Multiplayer game. You don't need to set up a permanent server, just the simple Multiplayer. There doesn't even have to be a second person on the server, it just has to be Multiplayer.

So, yes, if you want to have it running, start a Multiplayer game. You don't need to set up a permanent server, just the simple Multiplayer. There doesn't even have to be a second person on the server, it just has to be Multiplayer.
The only flaw of that is that you can never pause mid-game. But I guess that differs from preference.

Back
Top Bottom