Pickaxe Axe or Drax?

Pickaxe Axe or Drax?

• Total voters
Surely you must realize how rare that item is. If you have time to grind for a Rod of Discord, you absolutely have time to grab some Mining Gear.

Not only that, but the best way to get that is to create a big mob grinder, which requires tons of digging anyway, that or spend even longer grinding for one.
I just get the Rod of Discord by finding some big cave to kill a bunch of Chaos Elementals in... and I thought Mining Gear has really bad defense, I'm too lazy to dodge every enemy that tries to get me while I'm mining.
Bombs are also much, much slower than Mining Speed gear for digging tunnels, and not even perfect Dynamite spacing can keep up with Max mining speed gear for clearing big areas.
I mostly mean I use bombs to clear out the Plantera arena and other large spaces. On the occasion I need a tunnel, I just use my leftover scarab bombs.
Mining Speed is a big deal all the way until you beat Golem. Mining for Hardmode Ores with max mining speed is much, much faster than trying to fish for them, Chlorophyte can easily be gathered in the thousands in tandem with Spelunker Potions, and any kind of space-clearing for building is made much, much easier with fast digging speed.
The longest part of obtaining the Hardmode ores for me is looking for them as well (yes even with Spelunker Potions.) Also I'm pretty sure mining them with the slowest possible mining speed would still be much faster than trying to fish for them... I only tried to fish for them in the past because I didn't like the thing where random infection would spawn when you broke an altar.

I just get the Rod of Discord by finding some big cave to kill a bunch of Chaos Elementals in... and I thought Mining Gear has really bad defense, I'm too lazy to dodge every enemy that tries to get me while I'm mining.
"Mining Gear" isn't just the armor, it's everything that boosts mining speed, including potions, Chisel, Cake, etc. You can get Maximum Mining speed with just a single accessory's worth of commitment. Tier 2 Food, Ambrosia, Chisel, Mining Potion already cap the mining speed limit; Add Cake and Tier 3 and you can remove the Chisel, gettinf everything from buffs.
I mostly mean I use bombs to clear out the Plantera arena and other large spaces. On the occasion I need a tunnel, I just use my leftover scarab bombs.
That's fine, and honestly it's good that the game has different options for space-clearing. Maximum mining speed is the faster option, however.
The longest part of obtaining the Hardmode ores for me is looking for them as well (yes even with Spelunker Potions.)
What does "looking for them" entail? Does that involve, perhaps, digging through the stone and dirt in search of them? You tend to find them much, much faster when you're tearing up the entire underground at  sprinting speed. At maximum mining speed, you can mine as fast as you can run, and it makes getting the full array of Titanium/Adamantite items take mere minutes.

"Mining Gear" isn't just the armor, it's everything that boosts mining speed, including potions, Chisel, Cake, etc. You can get Maximum Mining speed with just a single accessory's worth of commitment. Tier 2 Food, Ambrosia, Chisel, Mining Potion already cap the mining speed limit; Add Cake and Tier 3 and you can remove the Chisel, gettinf everything from buffs.
I feel like Antlion Mandibles are kind of a steep price (they don't drop very often from my experience, I spend a lot of time in the underground desert and only get around 20-25 total per game) to be using mining potions super frequently but I've used Chisel sometimes and pretty much always have the cake and tier 2 food active, I didn't realize you can get a big impact without using the armor or potions.
What does "looking for them" entail? Does that involve, perhaps, digging through the stone and dirt in search of them? You tend to find them much, much faster when you're tearing up the entire underground at  sprinting speed. At maximum mining speed, you can mine as fast as you can run, and it makes getting the full array of Titanium/Adamantite items take mere minutes.
I either use the Rod of Discord (that I usually grind for at the start of Hardmode considering I tend to have good luck with getting it quickly) to warp around between caves, use all my Teleportation Potions I saved up in pre-Hardmode to check different places, or skim the top of Hell to check for ores if I don't have either of those.
I've admittedly never tried this method though (I get scared things will fall on me if I mine too fast) so I'll keep it in mind next time I need to grind for Hardmode ores.

Pickaxe axe because it's more fun to say.
It's not like it really matters.
I use it for only a small part of the game and then I get an upgrade, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom