Pickaxe Axe or Drax?

Pickaxe Axe or Drax?

• Total voters
Alright that's some dedication, but I guess what I want to know is, does it really matter at that stage of the game? I don't remember doing pretty much any time-consuming mining after beating Wall of Flesh. Rod of Discord usually takes care of tunneling issues, and otherwise I could just use bombs.
I see mining speed being a big deal in pre-Hardmode, when you need to mine tons of materials and dig hellevators and possibly some infection trenches, but I've just never understood the debate over HM ore pickaxes versus drills when I doubt either of them see heavy use.
Chlorophyte making four different armor sets and several weapons:

Nah I did. I just couldn’t keep my mouth shut lol.
You and me both.

Even using Spelunker Potions and the Rod of Discord to bypass walls, I guess I was never bothered by how long it took to mine chlorophyte, maybe I'm just bad at the game but I usually box myself in to mine it and so I just appreciated the respite from constantly dodging nearly-invisible stingers and giant turtles.
Also, I tend to skip Chlorophyte armor because Hallowed does its job well for so long, so I usually just end up going back for Chlorophyte after getting the Picksaw from Golem anyway.

You and me both.

Even using Spelunker Potions and the Rod of Discord to bypass walls, I guess I was never bothered by how long it took to mine chlorophyte, maybe I'm just bad at the game but I usually box myself in to mine it and so I just appreciated the respite from constantly dodging nearly-invisible stingers and giant turtles.
Also, I tend to skip Chlorophyte armor because Hallowed does its job well for so long, so I usually just end up going back for Chlorophyte after getting the Picksaw from Golem anyway.
laughs in summoner

From my experience the most time-consuming part is just trying to find it.
For me the most time consuming part of Chlorophyte mining is getting to it. A lot of the time, I'll have to mine a bunch of mud, usually with grass on it, to get to the Chlorophyte.
both of these, for real
as said before, the two are basically only used for chloro mining
for that, Drax has higher mining speed at stock but PAA has the range advantage which is much more useful imo — like, unless you're a speedrunner, as long as it digs fast enough it'll be fine; look no further than my four playthroughs: after getting Drax/PAA i keep that until i get Picksaw and then keep that as my final tool... it's not even for pickaxes, too: after getting the Pwnhammer i keep it as my final tool all the way past endgame because i frankly don't need the extra speed from the lumipicks and lumihamaxes on playthroughs (i do use those on my main, but that's mainly for OP-ness, if i could have one of each type of tool i would either go all three seperate or a pickaxe+axe combotool and a seperate hammer — i don't like hamaxes for some reason)

I'm pretty sure Pickaxe Axe is undeniably better, but since I don't put much effort into mining in the first place, the difference feels small enough that I don't really care and I'll just use the drills because the sound is pleasing to me.

Alright that's some dedication, but I guess what I want to know is, does it really matter at that stage of the game? I don't remember doing pretty much any time-consuming mining after beating Wall of Flesh.
There's all of the different Hardmode ores, gathering Chlorophyte for many different sets, looking for Plantera Bulbs, looking for the Temple if you haven't found it yet... there's plenty of mining to be done.
Rod of Discord usually takes care of tunneling issues
Surely you must realize how rare that item is. If you have time to grind for a Rod of Discord, you absolutely have time to grab some Mining Gear.

Not only that, but the best way to get that is to create a big mob grinder, which requires tons of digging anyway, that or spend even longer grinding for one.
otherwise I could just use bombs.
Bombs are also much, much slower than Mining Speed gear for digging tunnels, and not even perfect Dynamite spacing can keep up with Max mining speed gear for clearing big areas.

I see mining speed being a big deal in pre-Hardmode, when you need to mine tons of materials and dig hellevators and possibly some infection trenches, but I've just never understood the debate over HM ore pickaxes versus drills when I doubt either of them see heavy use.
Mining Speed is a big deal all the way until you beat Golem. Mining for Hardmode Ores with max mining speed is much, much faster than trying to fish for them, Chlorophyte can easily be gathered in the thousands in tandem with Spelunker Potions, and any kind of space-clearing for building is made much, much easier with fast digging speed.

So, as my own take on Drills VS Picks in terms of performance:

Generally, a pickaxe is better. It is more comfortable for most players as most player don't hug the spot they're mining, so its range is a big plus. It also doesn't take much effort to boost to drill's regular mining speed with potions and buffs, since those are likely items a regular player will already have in stock.

Drills however, have a unique quirk. While pickaxes must finish their swing animation before digging again, drills do not. This means that by either spam clicking or using an auto clicker, drills can reach insanely high mining speeds. This is why drills are preferred in speedruns, where setting up pickaxes takes too much time.

I am in neither camp. My reasons for using drills is:
A. Classic
B. Cooler
C. I already hug the stuff I'm mining so the range doesn't matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom