tModLoader Piercing Projectile Fix

Oh, mother:red:er. I know why this is happening, and there's no way to fix it other than just make a huge list of projectiles that aren't changed by the fix. I'll update once that's dealt with. Can you name any others?
Not that I have noticed but I'd be willing to bet the farm that the Toxic Flask would be a pretty big offender as well.

Maybe a whitelist would work better than a blacklist to filter out unwanted behavior. But I don't know how viable that is.
It... kinda isn't? I mean, it's sort of a "damned if you do damned if you don't" thing, because if it was a whitelist, I would have to seek out mods with the specific issue the piercing fix modifies and apply it, while if I keep it a blacklist, I'll need to add exceptions for any mod that happens to have a projectile-firing weapon of that sort. Either way there's potential compatibility issues right out of the box.

It... kinda isn't? I mean, it's sort of a "damned if you do damned if you don't" thing, because if it was a whitelist, I would have to seek out mods with the specific issue the piercing fix modifies and apply it, while if I keep it a blacklist, I'll need to add exceptions for any mod that happens to have a projectile-firing weapon of that sort. Either way there's potential compatibility issues right out of the box.
Yeah, that's true. I hope my mod works fine with your mod! I might do a bit of testing if I've got some time. And if you need some help with filtering out incompatibilities with my mod, feel free to ask me. The source is online at https://github.com/Cheezegami/Mod-Sources-Cheezes-Content-Pack

So if I'm seeing this right, your mod affects the invincibility issue for piercing ammo/guns and minions as well right? The example that was always annoying for me was that when using a spider or stardust dragon minion etc. you couldn't actually attack the enemy while the minion was latched on due to piercing invincibility frames. This was fine when playing a summoner, but sucky for other classes using a minion for free extra damage. The minion ticks for low numbers while your actual high damage class weapon does nothing. I always tell people I'm playing with at moonlord stage that only the summoner gets stardust dragon and everyone else uses stardust cells instead since they use DoT instead of pierce.

Edit: I feel like this whole issue would be more tidily resolved if pierce damage were simply limited such that enemies would receive pierce damage from all sources at the same time, but only at a certain frame interval. This means two main changes in code, one is a distinction of invulnerability to only piercing instead of just all damage.

The second could be an entity buff of the pierce invincibility with similar code to what we have, but with a slight delay so that most of the clustered shot from a shotgun come in to play while still not boosting damage from flamethrowers. Alternatively to the buffing system there could simply be a global restriction to piercing damage calculation such that it is only applied on a certain frame interval, an interval that's just tight enough that most shots shouldn't miss as long as they pass through the enemy. I really don't know if there is enough leeway for either method... Hmm. Another way would be to force a threshold via the buff method: Only the first X number of piercing hits apply within Y frames to each target.

Last edited:
I love this mod!
Finally can i use summons without them hogging the enemy iframes!
You have no idea how much frustration i have gotten from not being able to hit enemies while they are getting attacked by my minions.
Thank you for the mod!

Just a heads up, this mod still works on the latest version if you download it manually.
Can confirm. Just downloaded and enabled this, working fine with the latest version of tModLoader (which is currently version 0.10.1)

Anyone know if this is still working with the recent rmodloader update? I have been trying to see if it does and I'm not totally sure.

I thought about this today and it would not break the balance if you instead make invincibility frames work per source weapon, not per projectile. I mean that when Nimbus Rod hits enemy it becomes temporarily invincible to this specific instance of Nimbus Rod but you can hit it at the same time with another piercing weapon, minion or even another player's Nimbus Rod.

btw I hope it's not necro because it's still 2018)

Back
Top Bottom