Biomes & Nature Platinum Chests: An alternate to Gold Chests

Fortanono 🌳

Retinazer
So, long story short, I wanna make an alt that's a little less ambitious. So I'm doing something in between the alternate ores and the Crimson in level of changes to the game. On the one hand, it changes some experiences completely such as caving and, once I get around to it, the pre-Hardmode Dungeon. On the other hand, it's much smaller than a biome for obvious reasons. Let me present you Platinum Chests. Pardon the absolutely awful sprites.

WJGNdxX.png
HEA1Igu.png

Platinum Chests replace Gold Chests underground and in the dungeon between worlds randomly. (Pyramids would likely have a new "Sandstone Chest" or something) They are not tied to Platinum and Gold worlds and are independent of ore spawning entirely. This may be changed, but I feel like they shouldn't be connected even with the parallels. They will have mostly different loot, but some items will stay the same and others will have alternatives. While gold chest loot has nearly every color of the rainbow, Platinum Chests would be focused almost entirely on metallic themed weapons and accessories.

Main Tenants of Suggestion:
  1. Platinum Chests are an alternate to Gold Chests with different loot, both underground and in the Dungeon.
  2. Platinum underground loot is focused on metallic weapons and accessories. Platinum dungeon loot has not been decided yet.
  3. Platinum loot will not hurt the game with added randomness. Lots of important things will remain in the Platinum Chest loot table or will have equivalents.
Let's get into it, shall we?

Loot Table:

Magic_Mirror.png
L9UHLx3.png
qaivCxT.png
7PdrLDK.png
Rally.png
wt7XcGL.png

Magic_Mirror.png

Magic Mirror

Still found in Platinum Chests due to its massive importance and it fitting the theme.

L9UHLx3.png

Silver Surfboard
Cloud in a Bottle counterpart. Because the Cloud is outclassed as soon as you go to the Underground Snow, we have the Silver Surfboard, which acts like a Flying Carpet for a much shorter amount of time, around the amount of time a Sandstorm jump takes. This basically gives you incredible horizontal movement but it is still outclassed by the Flying Carpet should you get it.
Silver Horseshoe - Tinker: Combines the effects of a Silver Surfboard and Lucky Horseshoe.
Silver Claws - Silver Horseshoe Tinker: Combines the effects of Climbing Claws with the Silver Horseshoe, making up for the lack of a Shoe Spikes equivalent (will probably add a new accessory to replace that in the future, though).

qaivCxT.png

Mercury Boots
Act exactly like Hermes, Flurry and Sailfish Boots. Also tinkerable into Spectre Boots.

7PdrLDK.png

Precious Heart
Hearts become Precious Hearts which heal 30 instead of 20 health.
Philosopher's Heart - Tinker: Combines Philosopher's Stone with the Precious Heart effects.
Philosopher's Comb - Tinker: Combines Sweetheart Necklace with Philosopher's Heart.

Mana_Regeneration_Band.png

Mana Regeneration Band Changes:
No longer grants 20 mana (as Arcane exists, guys) and is found in Ivy Chests instead of crafted. Now that I'm adding a second layer of world randomness to it, it needs to change. Applies to all its tinkers, too.
Band of Rejuvenation - Tinker: Combines the Band of Regeneration (no longer a component) with the Mana Regeneration Band. Provides regeneration for both.
Starflower: Combines Band of Starpower, now providing 60 mana instead of 20 because again, Arcane exists, with the Mana Flower. Because it'll need a new tinker set.

Rally.png

Rally
Enchanted Boomerang counterpart. No longer dropped by Underground enemies and is a part of the Platinum Chest set. Maybe it'll actually find some use now.

wt7XcGL.png

Holy Light Rod

Flare gun counterpart. Fires a swarm of 9 Bubble Gun-style orange light projectiles at the cost of 12 mana, but each one only does a single hit of damage like the Flare Gun. Disappear after a few seconds unlike Flares, but great for illuminating large spaces. On single targets can actually be pretty good because it does deal 9 damage, and some of those crit. Might be really good against EoC, dunno.

Extractinator.png

Extractinator Changes:
Can now only be found in actual cabins, but not just desert ones anymore, in both chest world types. Doesn't fit Platinum chest loot, but needs no alternative.

Dungeon loot is under construction and might use ideas from a different person who suggested an alternate dungeon loot scheme.

Any thoughts?

I don't know about this. I'm a firm believer in "there doesn't need to be an alt for every little thing" and this is the antithesis of that belief, an alternate for the most overlooked, yet still somewhat important, part of game progression. It's well constructed, yes, but I feel it's unnecessary. I came onto this thinking it was just gonna be "Oh hey, an alternate kind of chest to craft for worlds without gold." I didn't expect to get a whole 'nother item pool of things that you can get screwed out of because world gen said so. Sure, variety is the spice of life, but sometimes too much variety overcomplicates things. While the idea of being able to craft a platinum chest is something I can get behind, I feel this is just taking it too far.
Although I will admit having Rally be a chest item on top of a rare drop would be fabulous.
Also, while you plan on making alt items for the Pre-Hardmode Dungeon, the question remains: how would that work? The loot in the pre-hardmode dungeon is irreplaceable not only in value but also how it ties into the Pre-Hardmode dungeon as a whole: It's all got a water theme. Water Bolt, Aqua Scepter, the Dark Caster shooting water spheres, water candles, etc.

I don't like this at all. The first items the player obtains are basic designs necessary to guide them into the rest of the game and be upgraded later on. This just confuses and muddles balance further.

I don't know about this. I'm a firm believer in "there doesn't need to be an alt for every little thing" and this is the antithesis of that belief, an alternate for the most overlooked, yet still somewhat important, part of game progression. It's well constructed, yes, but I feel it's unnecessary. I came onto this thinking it was just gonna be "Oh hey, an alternate kind of chest to craft for worlds without gold." I didn't expect to get a whole 'nother item pool of things that you can get screwed out of because world gen said so. Sure, variety is the spice of life, but sometimes too much variety overcomplicates things. While the idea of being able to craft a platinum chest is something I can get behind, I feel this is just taking it too far.
Although I will admit having Rally be a chest item on top of a rare drop would be fabulous.
Also, while you plan on making alt items for the Pre-Hardmode Dungeon, the question remains: how would that work? The loot in the pre-hardmode dungeon is irreplaceable not only in value but also how it ties into the Pre-Hardmode dungeon as a whole: It's all got a water theme. Water Bolt, Aqua Scepter, the Dark Caster shooting water spheres, water candles, etc.
Eh. I mean, I think the little things are much more easily made into alts than bigger biomes and stuff.

And what exactly am I missing? Band of Regeneration you can make a case for, but I took the biggest problem out of the equation with the Mana Regen Band changes, and regen potions are a good supplement even though they can both be used. Nobody uses the vanilla Cloud cause they go to the Underground Snow biome. Hermes and Mirror are basically copied over, and Extractinator is removed from the drop table. We only have the Enchanted Boomerang, Flare Gun, Band of Regeneration and Shoe Spikes missing (the latter of which I do need to replace with something, I know).

Also, I'd replace those things about the Dungeon probably. An example can be found here. https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wind-dungeons.4741/ Replacing Dark Casters might be hard, but shouldn't be harder than spawning the right ores from Demon Altars; just set a variable and have things happen due to that.

Eh. I mean, I think the little things are much more easily made into alts than bigger biomes and stuff.

And what exactly am I missing? Band of Regeneration you can make a case for, but I took the biggest problem out of the equation with the Mana Regen Band changes, and regen potions are a good supplement even though they can both be used. Nobody uses the vanilla Cloud cause they go to the Underground Snow biome. Hermes and Mirror are basically copied over, and Extractinator is removed from the drop table. We only have the Enchanted Boomerang, Flare Gun, Band of Regeneration and Shoe Spikes missing (the latter of which I do need to replace with something, I know).

Also, I'd replace those things about the Dungeon probably. An example can be found here. https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wind-dungeons.4741/ Replacing Dark Casters might be hard, but shouldn't be harder than spawning the right ores from Demon Altars; just set a variable and have things happen due to that.
If you basically copy-pasted them over, what's the point? And while vanilla cloud can be useless, it doesn't mean a player would know that right off the bat. Besides, the Cloud in a Bottle is necessary to make a Fart in a Jar, and it can also be made into a Cloud in a Balloon, which is integral for the Bundle of Balloons. Once you take one bit of the equation out, everything falls apart.
Also, the Holy Light Rod uses mana as opposed to ammo which means unless you're intending to get more mana anyway, you get minimal use, but also doesn't stick to surfaces, the main selling point of the flare gun.

It looks good, but would make ranger and throwing playthroughs a bit more difficult because the world may never generate specific loot. How about, instead, worlds contain both gold chests and platinum chests? Either way, support.

It looks good, but would make ranger and throwing playthroughs a bit more difficult because the world may never generate specific loot. How about, instead, worlds contain both gold chests and platinum chests? Either way, support.
I've never used the Flare Gun as a weapon, and what throwing weapon am I missing? Shurikens/knives still generate as items that fill up the rest of the spots.

Incorrect. Boomerangs have always been melee unless you're playing with a mod.
https://terraria.wiki.gg/Enchanted_Boomerang
They actually used to be classless, then went to rangers for awhile IIRC, then finally melee.

As for the suggestion itself, my main concern is we have the colorful loot from the gold chests, and then we have this very monotone set of items from the platinum chests. I get you were going for a platinum theme, but gold chest items aren't gold. The surfboard also seems more fitting for the ocean or the Depths..

What if both chest types generated in a world, with platinum chests appearing more rarely? With slightly better loot perhaps. Maybe 5% chance or less to replace a gold one.

They actually used to be classless, then went to rangers for awhile IIRC, then finally melee.

As for the suggestion itself, my main concern is we have the colorful loot from the gold chests, and then we have this very monotone set of items from the platinum chests. I get you were going for a platinum theme, but gold chest items aren't gold. The surfboard also seems more fitting for the ocean or the Depths..

What if both chest types generated in a world, with platinum chests appearing more rarely? With slightly better loot perhaps. Maybe 5% chance or less to replace a gold one.
Possibly. That makes sense. Also I'm so sorry about the Depths thing, I genuinely forgot... :p

The surfboard also seems more fitting for the ocean or the Depths..
Self-advertising I see.
Regardless, my point still stands. By making a whole extra loot table that can replace one little thing makes a plethora more things you can be screwed out on because World Gen said so. For example, this would also mean you are unable to get:
Band of Regeneration: Celestial Cuffs, Charm of Myths
Shoe Spikes: Tiger Climbing Gear, Master Ninja Gear
Enchanted Boomerang: Flamarang
Lava Charm: Lava Waders
And that's in combination with the things I listed before.
That's not to say a platinum chest existing wouldn't be bad. It would be nice to craft gold chests and platinum chests.

Back
Top Bottom