PS4 Player Placed Wall Related Slow Downs

Imatron

Terrarian
My small sized expert mode world keeps pausing roughly every half second, even during single payer. The problem seems related to, but not specifically caused by my base which stretches the entire world and is about as tall as the players' Max zoom-out distance, seen in this image:

Imatron on Twitter

I gradually built the wall up to its current Max height, testing for lag as I went, but had no issues, so I proceeded to build the roof. About halfway through adding the roof, the lag started.

I suspect the wall itself is not the issue so much as some other mechanic like the house check process for the NPCs bugging out at the sheer size. It just starts up after a while, and occasionally subsides for a bit, but proximity to the base seems to have nothing to do with when it starts out stops.

My plan is to segment the structure and make biomes in each segment. I'm hoping as I section it off it will ease the lag, though it m not sure that's the issue. Anyone know what exactly would cause this?

My small sized expert mode world keeps pausing roughly every half second, even during single payer. The problem seems related to, but not specifically caused by my base which stretches the entire world and is about as tall as the players' Max zoom-out distance, seen in this image:

Imatron on Twitter

I gradually built the wall up to its current Max height, testing for lag as I went, but had no issues, so I proceeded to build the roof. About halfway through adding the roof, the lag started.

I suspect the wall itself is not the issue so much as some other mechanic like the house check process for the NPCs bugging out at the sheer size. It just starts up after a while, and occasionally subsides for a bit, but proximity to the base seems to have nothing to do with when it starts out stops.

My plan is to segment the structure and make biomes in each segment. I'm hoping as I section it off it will ease the lag, though it m not sure that's the issue. Anyone know what exactly would cause this?
Hi there @Imatron, that is an incredibly large base. ~:) I’m not sure if the game will ever “like” (and play nicely) with such a structure. With the game also checking to see where it can spawn enemies (it can’t on player placed walls) it might just be reaching the breaking point of what the game can handle. I would think that your trial and error efforts are going to be the best that can be done.

Hi there @Imatron, that is an incredibly large base. ~:) I’m not sure if the game will ever “like” (and play nicely) with such a structure. With the game also checking to see where it can spawn enemies (it can’t on player placed walls) it might just be reaching the breaking point of what the game can handle. I would think that your trial and error efforts are going to be the best that can be done.

That is definitely helpful information on the enemy spawns. Noticed the lag tends to immediately stop on 7:30 pm in game time and picks back up around morning some time around 7ish. I think enemies spawn more at night though, so it might not be the enemy placement. It also occurs even when I'm away from the wall, in the underworld for example.

Besides the enemy placement, house checking, and corruption spread, are there any other systems running I might want to be aware of? I might just have to get rid of a chunk of wall in each zone for enemies to spawn, mayb add a bridge under the base for them... Thankfully I was going to segment the base anyway but I'm not keen on reducing the size of I can avoid it XP.

That is definitely helpful information on the enemy spawns. Noticed the lag tends to immediately stop on 7:30 pm in game time and picks back up around morning some time around 7ish. I think enemies spawn more at night though, so it might not be the enemy placement.

Besides the enemy placement, house checking, and corruption spread, are there any other systems running I might want to be aware of? I might just have to get rid of a chunk of wall in each zone for enemies to spawn, mayb add a bridge under the base for them... Thankfully I was going to segment the base anyway but I'm not keen on reducing the size of I can avoid it XP.
I’m not sure if checking for places to spawn enemies would contribute to it or not, more of just a guess and brainstorming ideas, but that’s interesting that it seems to stop at the 7:30pm mark.

I can’t think of anything else, but my technical knowledge of what makes the game tick isn’t close to being complete. Your plans of segmenting may help, but I do think it’s possible that you may not find a great end-all solution as your structure might be considered an edge case and pushes the normal gameplay limits. But hopefully if you can’t find a ‘great’ solution, maybe your trial and error can get you a ‘good’ solution.

I’m not sure if checking for places to spawn enemies would contribute to it or not, more of just a guess and brainstorming ideas, but that’s interesting that it seems to stop at the 7:30pm mark.

I can’t think of anything else, but my technical knowledge of what makes the game tick isn’t close to being complete. Your plans of segmenting may help, but I do think it’s possible that you may not find a great end-all solution as your structure might be considered an edge case and pushes the normal gameplay limits. But hopefully if you can’t find a ‘great’ solution, maybe your trial and error can get you a ‘good’ solution.

Mostly through segmenting it now, but not having much luck. I'm guessing since it only happened after adding a roof then I need to do one or more things to break the game even considering it as a possible house. Probably just breaking enough of the indoor biomes walls or having an open ceiling of some sort will do it. What can you tell me about the house check rules that might also be worth considering?

EDIT: looks like everything runs smoothly from exactly 7:30 pm until 6:30 am in game. Should be able to look up somewhere what happens during that time. I'm guessing that's about when the NPCs can move in either for the first time or respawning. Should narrow things down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom