Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got killed by a Medusa from offscreen in a granite biome literally nowhere near a marble biome. This is starting to get :red:ing ridiculous.

I've seen that too. I know there's a Granite nearby and WHAM. stoned. And I'm like "eh!?"

I've seen that too. I know there's a Granite nearby and WHAM. stoned. And I'm like "eh!?"
I was IN the granite biome. I saw EVERYTHING around it, and inexplicably the Medusa was in the granite biome too. There was not a marble biome within probably hundreds of blocks of the granite biome, and I got instantkilled for having the audacity to ride a minecart IN A COMPLETELY UNRELATED BIOME. At this point I'm just calling that a glitch and invediting my stuff back, since there's no way in hell I can reach it anyway.

Just got killed by a Medusa from offscreen in a granite biome literally nowhere near a marble biome. This is starting to get :red:ing ridiculous.
They spawn anywhere on the map as long as a marble biome is nearby. They don't spawn exclusively INSIDE marble. Which is part of the bull:red: behind them.

They spawn anywhere on the map as long as a marble biome is nearby. They don't spawn exclusively INSIDE marble. Which is part of the bull:red: behind them.

Yeah, but he's saying there was no marble nearby whatsoever and I concur with that; I've seen the same. They seem to spawn near Marble AND Granite.

At this point I'm convinced that
  • the attack needs to be changed/nerfed
  • something is wrong with Medusa's spawning - I met one in the middle of the Temple, having faced only regular temple enemies up to that point. And the single marble biome in the area was at least a screen away above the Temple (which was the direction I came from).

At this point I'm convinced that
  • the attack needs to be changed/nerfed
  • something is wrong with Medusa's spawning - I met one in the middle of the Temple, having faced only regular temple enemies up to that point. And the single marble biome in the area was at least a screen away above the Temple (which was the direction I came from).
As far as I know, "a screen away" is enough to trigger the spawns. Also consider every single part of the marble biome (including the exact corners of it) can potentially trigger medusa spawns anywhere.

Fun fact, my Plantera arena was right below a marble biome and the :red:s would spawn from any distance from it (even with the biome completelly off-screen). Lethal fall damage from off-screen stoning ensued.

I'm pretty sure the developers will make it so that line of sight is required at this point. But hopefully they don't nerf the fall damage. If medusa is on the screen that should be enough to spur people into tactical action, or their immediate destruction.

I'm pretty sure the developers will make it so that line of sight is required at this point. But hopefully they don't nerf the fall damage. If medusa is on the screen that should be enough to spur people into tactical action, or their immediate destruction.
They need to make it so that fall damage negating items either reduce or entirely negate fall damage caused by her, as it's just not fair that a pre-hardmode enemy can kill someone who, to quote someone earlier, is 'drenched in moon lord blood' instantly. Instant deaths really aren't fair at all, ever, under any circumstance, unless you had VERY easy ways to stop them. Even if Medusas spawned on screen, that wouldn't mean they had to be lit up too. They either need to generate light, or before petrifying, pulse with light or go through a long, lit-up animation to give the player time to react at all.

I thought about this thread earlier after I left. First and foremost: I'm not going to accept some wussified medusa. I don't care if you are "da majoritah". That doesn't mean you are right. Wussification of any kind is not going to be accepted by me. I budged on the point that she shouldn't be able to turn you to stone off screen. No, it still hasn't happened to me and I did a hell of a lot of jumping ingame lately trying to find those bloody strange plants. Even hook walking between walls to fight and not once did I get dropped.

>nerf the fall damage!
You don't like being instant killed? How about the fall damage taking away 75% of your health. You will still have health to fight back if you are lucky enough to break free in time.

>make her light up like 1000 suns when she attacks!
No, just no. A 2 second charge up attack may be in order though. You know to make it more "fair".

>but hie i want to play on the minecart rails
I had an interesting idea about this. If you get turned to stone in the minecart, you don't fall off of the rails. But you will roll freely and if you happen to hit something hard you take heavy damage like the fall damage but probably 50% damage instead of 75%

>what about jumping
Medusa is on the screen and you decided to take a swan dive off a cliff. If you get stoned your horseshoe shouldn't work and you take the fall damage.

">make her light up like 1000 suns when she attacks!
No, just no. A 2 second charge up attack may be in order though. You know to make it more "fair"."

How about, instead of reducing my point to something stupid like that, you think a little. I think her eyes should cast enough glow to show her location and maybe a few blocks around her, at most like a glowstick but probably more like a red flare; her being able to petrify you out of complete darkness is as good as her being able to do so from behind walls.

">what about jumping
Medusa is on the screen and you decided to take a swan dive off a cliff. If you get stoned your horseshoe shouldn't work and you take the fall damage."

There's no reason for your horseshoe not to work though. Something should not randomly not work as its description says it will. Also, 'taking a swan dive off a cliff' is different from daring to jump about 10 blocks or so down to another location, especially given that you're wearing a horseshoe.

Oh, one other thing:
Her spawn range should be reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. They have to find some way to limit her spawn to only and ONLY the marble biome, because the way she acts can only be justified by the fact that you can expect to see her and adjust your behavior accordingly. But that doesn't work when she randomly spawns in places she doesn't belong because a marble biome happens to be like a mile away and the game wants to :red: you over.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. You are avoiding ingame features just because you got upset over dropping. Torches are for placing, glowsticks are for throwing. Do you even know how useful glowsticks are? A stack of 99 is cheap. Throw them into a cavern. If she gave away her position, what's the point of buying lights? Just fling yourself into a mineshaft and forget about all that preparation and watch for the eye shinies.

Also the horseshoe doesn't work because you are made of stone. The attack itself becomes negligible if you can just get out of it because you happened to have a horseshoe. Why even have the attack? Why even be creative anymore in this game. "Hey look it's medusa. Doesn't she turn you into stone?" "Oh. Now she just bumps into you"

It doesn't matter. You are avoiding ingame features just because you got upset over dropping. Torches are for placing, glowsticks are for throwing. Do you even know how useful glowsticks are? A stack of 99 is cheap. Throw them into a cavern. If she gave away her position, what's the point of buying lights? Just fling yourself into a mineshaft and forget about all that preparation and watch for the eye shinies.

Also the horseshoe doesn't work because you are made of stone. The attack itself becomes negligible if you can just get out of it because you happened to have a horseshoe. Why even have the attack? Why even be creative anymore in this game. "Hey look it's medusa. Doesn't she turn you into stone?" "Oh. Now she just bumps into you"

Uhh, are you forgetting that Stoned makes you entirely :red:ing immobile for four seconds? That still has a ton of use; I got my :red: kicked because I got stoned and the Medusa killed me with contact damage because I couldn't move. Stop exaggerating like removing her ridiculous abilities or making her more on-par with any other enemy in the game would be making her useless. Also, I never needed Medusas to motivate me to use flare guns or glowsticks, but I'll say this: If I can get instantly killed no matter what by something I can't see, it's broken.

Let's repeat that a few times:
If I can get instantly killed no matter what by something I can't see, it's broken.
If I can get instantly killed no matter what by something I can't see, it's broken.

Use the hunter potion.
Use the hunter potion.
Use the hunter potion.

The game was balanced around potions. Stop undermining that.

Use the hunter potion.
Use the hunter potion.
Use the hunter potion.

The problem with that comes down to the spawn range of the Medusa. As it stands, to truly avoid random, instant, unavoidable death, I'd either have to plod through caves without ever being higher off the ground than about 8 blocks, or constantly have hunter potion on. Again, the number #2 problem aside from attacking through walls is the fact that she basically just spawns :red:ing anywhere.

You're missing the point.

The Medusa is a pre-Hardmode enemy.
It can kill an end-game player without breaking a sweat.

Of course I should be able to run like the wind in Solar armor without paying attention to anything.

I shouldn't have to be wary of an enemy that is many, many tiers below where I am.
Somebody has mentioned the Gastropod and the Skeleton Sniper, and I have another counter-argument; you expect a Gastropod and Skeleton Sniper. The Hallow and the Dungeon are, at some point, dangerous places to be in. You do not, however, expect an insta-killing enemy in a very, very early-game zone.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436278028,1436277918][/DOUBLEPOST]
Use the hunter potion.
Use the hunter potion.
Use the hunter potion.

...No it wasn't?
You can kill any boss without potions and over-gearing.
You can mine any ore without Spelunker potions.

Potions just make it easier.

Plus, the Hunter potion still cannot let you see beyond the screen.

I thought it was especially weird that it knocks you out of a mine carts. I can sort of see it if you're in a saddle riding on some sort of beast, a little control might be required to hang on. But when you're sitting in a box, you'd think you'd stay there, no matter what you're made out of.
Yeah, that happened to me while my friend and I were mining. It's utter bullcrap. I mean, what the :redmunch:?

It's true that one can kill bosses without potions. But some people need potions. I play as an alchemist so of course I have tons of potions everywhere because I make them like it's a thing to do. But in all of your hatred of me you forgot that I budged on the idea that medusa should be on the screen when she attacks. Usually people are quick to pick up on that. Some people need a potion to do it. Perhaps if we mixed danger sense with a spelunker potion..

*mic drop*

It's true that one can kill bosses without potions. But some people need potions. I play as an alchemist so of course I have tons of potions everywhere because I make them like it's a thing to do. But in all of your hatred of me you forgot that I budged on the idea that medusa should be on the screen when she attacks. Usually people are quick to pick up on that. Some people need a potion to do it. Perhaps if we mixed danger sense with a spelunker potion..

*mic drop*
And you've ignored the second half of my post.

Medusa seems to be able to spawn outside of marble even if no marble biome is anywhere close.

Once i saw a Medusa trying to swim in lava in the underworld when the only biome between are the underground jungle and underworld itself. I was puzzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom