Please fix or nerf the Medusa enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the developers will make it so that line of sight is required at this point. But hopefully they don't nerf the fall damage. If medusa is on the screen that should be enough to spur people into tactical action, or their immediate destruction.

The problem is (that you STILL haven't addressed) is that... The medusa DOES NOT NEED TO BE ON THE SCREEN for her to stone you whatsoever. Her range is simply too far. I've gotten stoned plenty of times from a Medusa off-screen, and then at some point like 4-5 seconds after I get stoned, she FINALLY wanders into the visible screen area. You're talking some 60+ blocks away. I don't think a Skeleton Archer can even hit me reliably from that distance.

And then you have the spawning problems where there's no visible marble anywhere near you and you're getting Medusa spawns. I can't think of any other enemy that does this, not even Chaos Elementals are that bad for doing this and they can teleport.

IMO, they need to reduce the range of marble triggering marble spawns, shrink the size of the biome's influence or something.

I think we should make the Medusa's attack work like the Medusa boss in C:SOTN to be honest. She fired a beam at you that was pretty quick, and made a 10-20 degree sweep over 2-ish seconds with a distinct sound effect. At least then you'd have some clue where it is actually coming from so you can deal with it.

EDIT: And hahaha, I love the suggestion about the Hunter Potions and how they should be required because the game is "balanced" around potions. *rolls eyes* Seriously? They take SHARK FINS. So we're supposed to suffer insta-death early-game until we've got the gear to farm Sharks? lol.

I think you, as guardian of this poor thread, can go back and read what I've been saying about medusa being on screen in my last few posts. And yes. You should use hunter potions.

I think you, as guardian of this poor thread, can go back and read what I've been saying about medusa being on screen in my last few posts. And yes. You should use hunter potions.
I think you should read what literally everybody's been saying, because from the looks of things, you haven't, and you've been using the same tired old excuses and suggestions that everyone here has proved either don't work, or are too ridiculous and time-consuming.
And hunter potions don't show enemies off-screen. Nor am I going to USE A HUNTER POTION EVERY TIME I WANT TO POP DOWN INTO A CAVE TO GATHER A SOUL OR TWO. I'd rather not extend my playtime by 60 hours of mundane potion gathering. I have a life outside Terraria.

None of you saw that I finally accepted the idea that medusa should be on screen because you were too busy in assault mode.
It's irrelevant, even if she was, I'm still not using hunter potions every time I want to pop down for a soul or two.
However, if her spawn was kept to INSIDE the marble biome, I'd be fine with absolutely no nerf or change whatsoever. Otherwise she NEEDS a nerf.
She also needs drops that aren't absolutely useless, so people have a reason to go to the Marble Biome, otherwise everyone would avoid it.
It's a lackluster enemy that doesn't seem to have much thought put into it. Yeah, it's cool. It was cool and play-panic inducing for the first few times, but into hardmode it's just dumb, especially since you could be using the best weapons, armour, and the mining mount, and still get killed because Medusas are a broken enemy.

Just going to point something out: if hunter potions are required if a player wants to set foot underground without dying, that's a bad thing.

Well then the next thread should be about removing them because obviously if no one should use them, they don't need to be using up memory in the game.

Well then the next thread should be about removing them because obviously if no one should use them, they don't need to be using up memory in the game.
Grinding for drops is what I've seen them typically used for. Not for dodging the attack of an enemy that is in a dark little cave in the corner of your screen. Potions are useful, but they shouldn't be required, especially for an enemy as unfair as the Medusa, since half of the time you can't see her when she stones you.

I never said that no one should use them, I said no one should need to use them just to combat a single broken enemy.

Just going to point something out: if hunter potions are required if a player wants to set foot underground without dying, that's a bad thing.

Which is hyperbole anyway, 'cause I die to Moss Hornets more. An ultra common mob with a super spammy, near-invisible attack that does triple digit damage and causes a DoT debuff that slaughters regeneration and drains health for up to 40 seconds (only to be renewed when getting hit again)? That's what pisses me off. There isn't a 'chance' for it to happen then, at that point it is an expectation to die.

Even though it is a HM mob, but whatever.

Which is hyperbole anyway, 'cause I die to Moss Hornets more. An ultra common mob with a super spammy, near-invisible attack that does triple digit damage and causes a DoT debuff that slaughters regeneration and drains health for up to 40 seconds (only to be renewed when getting hit again)? That's what pisses me off. There isn't a 'chance' for it to happen then, at that point it is an expectation to die.

Even though it is a HM mob, but whatever.
Moss hornets are pretty bad, but they're not as bad as Medusa. For one, they're a hardmode mob that's limited to the jungle, and there's a way to counter their poison debuff. They also can't instantly hit you from a screen away, and I'm pretty sure they only do triple digit damage in expert mode.

I was only trying to point out that I find them much more annoying than Medusas, because it seems some people are convinced that the only ones that don't want them to be nerfed are try-hard/masochists...which is just not the case. I wasn't stating it as a broad fact.

I will say that having a low-level enemy be dangerous to an endgame character is, for the most part, simply bad game design. It breaks the progressive flow, and makes it seem cheap to the player.

I will also say that stoned shouldn't push you out of mounts or minecarts, and I honestly think it shouldn't negate wing fall damage invulnerability. At that point, it's just silly. Being forced to take fall damage at that point adds nothing to the game aside from frustration.

I was only trying to point out that I find them much more annoying than Medusas, because it seems some people are convinced that the only ones that don't want them to be nerfed are try-hard/masochists...which is just not the case. I wasn't stating it as a broad fact.
I guess they might need a nerf, depending on when the player is expected to go to the hardmode jungle. I always waited until after the mech-bosses since the enemies there are pretty insane, and there wasn't much reason to go there with the picksaw and plantera

I guess they might need a nerf, depending on when the player is expected to go to the hardmode jungle. I always waited until after the mech-bosses since the enemies there are pretty insane, and there wasn't much reason to go there with the picksaw and plantera
Life Fruits can be hella useful at that stage. However, I doubt Moss Hornets need a nerf, as you can still fairly easily avoid death by them, if you're careful.

I don't find the hornets a bother at all, mostly because whenever I see them, I can kill them quickly without having to worry about dodging. They only take 2-3 hits with a decent early hardmode sword or a few shots with a decent early hardmode gun. Also, their projectiles aren't really that invisible.
But this thread isn't about hornets. It's about Medusas.

From my encounters with Medusa so far, when a simple Cave Bat hits you while you are Stoned, you suffer a large chunk of damage because of the small launch into the air from the knockback. The way I kill them at the moment is using a few grenades and a couple of arrows to finish them off.

One of the problems is that the Petrify ability is instant, the moment they look at you.

Try shooting them in the back with a ranged weapon. They will instantly turn around and Stone you. It's even worse if Hoplite spawns at the same time...

Life Fruits can be hella useful at that stage. However, I doubt Moss Hornets need a nerf, as you can still fairly easily avoid death by them, if you're careful.

No, even when you're careful they'll get you. You just have to combine carefulness with super DPS to get them down quick.

You can avoid them by tunneling around, but I spent a good 15 minutes trying to get my health back to full to initiate the fight with Plantera.

By the way, I'm not calling for a nerf to Moss Hornets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom