Other Game Pokémon

What is Your Favorite Pokémon Type?

• Total voters
Pardon the long list of replies incoming...
1: Unique sleeping animations for Pokemon
Just a little feature I'd like to see. A lot of work, probably, but I think they could do this considering they're re-using the X and Y models. It'd be nice to see Pokemon do something besides just shut their eyes.
From a player standpoint, this would be awesome, though I can't imagine it's a justifiable cost for the company.

2: Non-Combat moves
A separate move slot(s) for a move that ISN'T used for battling. Could be used for HM moves, but also for stuff like dig and teleport, and moves that might have no function whatsoever in combat. Moves that might hunt down a nearby item, or moves that might allow a person to ride the Pokemon.
I suggest moving the HM moves to TMs, and making OOC (heh) things separate from moves entirely. "Oh, the boulder badge makes you able to move boulders," type of thing would be cool. Also, special items that you find essentially giving you these abilities and just residing in the "key items" pocket would be fine as well. See Jetski thing in the above posts for reference.

3: Difficulty settings
Probably my biggest desire for the new games is that they aren't an absolute cakewalk. I'd prefer three, maybe four difficulty settings, but I'd honestly just be happy with two. They would increase more than just opponent's levels, they would also give opponents better Pokemon and better moves for said Pokemon. They'd also give them items, trainers would have better AI, and on the hardest difficulty, proper IV's and EV's.
The specifics aren't important to me, but I agree that difficulty settings would be nice.

4: Battle Frontier
I would really like this back. An excellent post-game timesink for all of those that not only enjoy difficult fights, but also unique spins on battling.
No opinion here.

5. Interesting Villain Team
Team Flare was a joke compared to the rest of the teams, and their leader and admins were no different. I know Pokemon is capable of writing good stories and characters, because we saw it with Team Plasma and PKMN Mystery Dungeon. I'd like to see it repeated again, here.
Actually, I would like to see continuations of the older villain teams or reboots, expanding their story/stories in new regions. If there HAS to be a new team, however, I agree that they should run a deeper plot to make Pokémon more "modern," an RPG with a somewhat fulfilling story, and less of a generic repeat. Keep the battle mechanics similar, though.

6. Rivals have more depth to them
Again, the rivals feel like they've been a bit... Two-dimensional as of late. In my opinion, the last interesting rival was Barry, and the most interesting rival was Silver. I really hope that Hau and Lillie aren't just "hungry goofball" and "book-lover".
Goes with my answer to #5. More RPG outside of combat than before in Pokémon games.

7. EXP share only affects one Pokemon OR not present until end game.
This can also be tied into the difficulty setting of the game. People always say "If you think it's too easy than don't use it", but I think that's dumb. If the game's too easy I could also use a team of Ratata. Or I could prevent myself from using strong moves. Once a difficulty has been set, people will almost always take the path of least resistance. I want to overcome a hard challenge, not "undercome" an easy one.

Anyways, have the EXP share at the end of the game or something. Doesn't make you overleveled during the story, still allows you to grind to 100 after you beat the champion.
I think you should be given the EXP share from the professor. It makes the game better, not worse. Difficulty settings would fix the "problems" you're having with EXP share.

Also, use a team of Level 2 Metapod instead for maximum challenge. Harden or nothing.

8. No Mega Evolution until later in the game.
Same reason as the EXP share. NPC trainers are already mono-typed, stupid and weak as is, why does the player need ANOTHER advantage? Again, can be tied into the difficulty setting.
Either this, or let every sue and sally trainer use mega evolutions too and let there be more of them.

9. More than 70 new Pokemon.
I mean, this one explains itself, really.
I am actually COMPLETELY against this. I hope there is the same number of new Pokémon or even LESS than last time, and that they use those new slots to fill unexisting gaps, rather than giving us "another worse Ratatta, another less-cool-looking Butterfree, etc. New type combinations, things not similar to something we already have, etc.

10. Ice gets a resistance to Water, Grass and/or Dragon.
Ice right now just feels like one of the worst types for a Pokemon to have. I get that it's meant to be more of an attacking type, but that just means that Pokemon will use ice-type moves, rather than actually be an ice type. STAB isn't everything. I could add Bug to the list, but honestly, poor Bug-type already has enough on it's plate to deal with.

11. Bug moves are super effective against Fairy types.

Speaking of Bugs, why do seven different types resist it? That's sooooo not fair. Maybe forget about effectiveness against Fairy, and instead remove Ghost, Poison and/or Fighting's resistance to Bugs. They don't even make any sense.
All the types need better balance, imo. They should be equal, and the attack/defense/whatever archetypes should be based on Pokémon base stats rather than typing. Steel is still stupid, Ice and Rock still have problems. Grass/Poison still has huge problems as a mixed typing.

12. Primal Pokemon are counted as Mega Pokemon. You cannot have more than one primal or mega evolution per battle.
WHY WAS THIS NOT THE CASE TO START WITH?! SERIOUSLY, DO WE NEED BOTH MEGA RAYQUAZA AND PRIMAL GROUDON?!
100% agreement here. It's almost like the guys designing the story weren't in on the loop that they were adding megas and did their own thing with primal, unaware that most other Pokémon were getting the same treatment in a different way.

13. Option to set bottom screen to show a map.
Just a nice little feature I thought could be added again in the latest iteration. At least give us the option, this is Pokemon's seventh game.
Sure, why not.

14. More cameos from previous games.
And maybe some of the people we haven't heard anything about? Like Silver or Maxie? Perhaps we could finally see the fully nice version of Silver years after the events of G/S, or helpful, environmentalist team Magma after the events of R/S/E.
I would love this. Could play into my answer from #5.

15. You're the champion... Now what?
Well, you manage the Indigo Plateau, of course. After all, isn't that what the champion does?
By far the most "out there" hope for Sun and Moon I came up with, this probably won't happen, but would be super cool nevertheless. Here's how it works, the previous champion will help mentor you on what to do.:

The current Elite Four are looking at retiring. They'll stick around for a little while, but only until you find suitable replacements for them.

You find replacements by accepting challengers. These are powerful NPC trainers, with powerful teams. If you lose to them, nothing happens (on higher difficulty levels, they become champion and you need to take your spot back!). However, if you beat them, you can recruit some of them, and they'll replace a member of your Elite Four. From there you can give them hold items, TM's and HM's, and even offer suggestions on new Pokemon for their team. You can also change the look of their room too.

After completing your Elite Four, you can then register your team online, and allow other people to challenge your Indigo Plateau. If you're online, you can battle your challengers directly, and if you're offline, an AI will use your registered team.

While battling NPC trainers, you might also encounter people you met along your journey! You might encounter Gym Leaders coming in for a friendly skirmish, or you might encounter your rival, looking to take the throne from you. Tying into the previous thing on the list, you might even encounter people from past games!

Just imagine, you're sitting on top of your throne of golden Mega Charizard X skulls, waiting for your next opponent, when all of a sudden, the door opens and THIS music starts to play.

...And then you never become champion again, and Cynthia adds the Alola region to her ever-expanding empire.
In one of the games you could run a city street, which was kind of like a secret base. It would be nice to have something expanded off of that while running the Pokémon League. Or the option to turn down being the next champion and go on a 2nd adventure like HG/SS. Also goes with the RPG thing from #5.

16. BATTLE SCARRED POKEMON - INCORPORATE NEMESIS SYSTEM
Okay, I was just kidding on this one, but it WOULD be pretty frickin' sweet.
I have no clue what this means.

17. More megas for those that need one.
Some examples:

Butterfree
Corsola
Tropius
Ariados
Seviper
Cacturne
Golem
Gigalith
Leavanny
Maractus
Ursaring
...and one for Flygon. Poor guy.
There are some I'd prefer over these, but sure, these guys all need a buff.

*Edited. Fixed that nightmare.

Last edited:
Time for me to extrapolate on the jetski concept.
HM 01 Cut -> An axe or a chainsaw.
HM 02 Fly -> Eon Flute 2: Electric Birdaloo.
HM 03 Surf -> Jetski
HM 04 Strength -> I got nothing for this. A forklift?
HM 05 Waterfall -> Again, nothing for this.
HM 06 Rocksmash -> A hammer or a jackhammer.
HM 07 Dive -> Wetsuit.

Also just give us a flashlight and burn Flash in a fire.

Time for me to extrapolate on the jetski concept.
HM 01 Cut -> An axe or a chainsaw.
HM 02 Fly -> Eon Flute 2: Electric Birdaloo.
HM 03 Surf -> Jetski
HM 04 Strength -> I got nothing for this. A forklift?
HM 05 Waterfall -> Again, nothing for this.
HM 06 Rocksmash -> A hammer or a jackhammer.
HM 07 Dive -> Wetsuit.

Also just give us a flashlight and burn Flash in a fire.
That bag reminds me of that hyper cube thing Jimmy Neutron has , unlimited space !

I'm not sure about this idea , sorry I think I'll pass for now . But I do agree with the flashlight idea .

I guess we already carry a bike in our backpacks, so there's no use questioning how a Jetski or chainsaw fits in there. I think it would be cool (though also unlikely) to have a fifth separate moveslot for stuff that only works outside of battle. It'd almost be like having dungeon items in Zelda, each pokemon on your team could allow you to go somewhere or do something that you couldn't do alone (without hampering your effectiveness in battle).

I have no clue what this means.

In the game "Shadow of Mordor", the highlight of the game is a thing called the nemesis system. Opponents you fought that survived would remember you, but if you injured them in battle, they would have that injury the next time you saw them. So the idea here is that your Pokemon would get battle scars from fighting depending on if they got hit by a critical hit, OHKO move, knocked out, etc.

Like I said though, a joke.

My take on the HM problem:
1st badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to remove saplings/bramble/whatever
2nd badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to move boulders
3rd badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to smash boulders
4th badge: Teaches a Water type Pokemon how to ferry a trainer across water (And boats/jetski service for traveling between islands)
5th badge: Flashlight.
6th badge: Teaches a Flying Pokemon to carry it's trainer across the skies (Eon Flute style and like how you can fly by AreaNav in ORAS)
7th badge: Diving gear/teaches a Water Pokemon to submerge underwater
8th badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to climb rocky walls.
Hall of Fame: Water type Pokemon gain the secret technique needed to scale Waterfalls.
The HM moves will instead be taught by Move Tutor. This allows both for the removal of HMS from your moveset.
One thing I hope they do is have the flowers return. Returning to a route in X/Y and finding new, stronger Pokemon in a different type of grass was one of my favorite features.

Difficulty:
All Pokemon are higher leveled, a couple of regular Trainer Pokemon have items, most Gym Pokemon hold items (later gyms (5-8) have Megas) and all E4 members have Megas and held items. All enemies exhibit a smarter AI. Exp. Share is given by Professor, with the Exp. All from Gen 1 making a come back for entering the Hall of Fame. For all difficulties, have superbosses open up the more the player completes the Pokedex/other goals.

Gen 1 Dex complete: Red as a superboss (With a Raichu, or just no Pikachu related thing)
Gen 2: Silver
Gen 3: Steven
Gen 4: Cyrus
Gen 5: N (AND Ghetsis, with before him there being a fight with 5 of the 6 other Sages)
Gen 6: Diantha (Lysandre is dead, soooooo...)

Additionally, other rewards:
Regional Pokedex complete: Round Charm.
1 Gen Pokedex complete: Missingno. as a superboss (catchable, and a real Pokemon. Seriously)
2 Gens complete: Access to some area with extremely high level Pokemon and good items, with trainers you can refight daily that are high level.
3 Gens: Access to hidden Kazoo soundtrack for the game. Or access to Kalos, or something, in case no kazoos.
4 Gens: You get access to a bottomless dungeon in which you try to survive as long as possible against high level trainers, the game records # of floors, there is a leaderboard, some banned Pokemon.
5 Gens: Option to fight Game Freak one after another. Think the Winstrates, but actually tough for someone who made it this far.
6 Gens: Access to a hidden island with special Move Tutors, good items, a place to easily hatch Eggs at, a second Daycare, and then the Battle Frontier.
Every Gen: Shiny Charm, a reusable Ability Capsule that gives you access to Hidden Abilities, AND can reset your Pokemon's EVs. Allows you to "respec" your Pokemon's IVs, with you getting points to add to their IVs by their level.

After the Hall of Fame, you'll get given a Jukebox. This gives access to the soundtrack of any game who's Pokedex you've completed.

Also, bring back those Cafes in Kalos, and walking with your Pokemon.

So yeaaaah. Sorry for the long post, but if you ever needed to know how Azu would make a Pokemon game then here you go.

So that about does it for now. What do you guys think? Anything you want to see?
Here's what I would like to see, roughly in my own self-imposed order of importance.
  • A longer adventure.
    • Either a higher gap of things to do between gyms, or a double adventure like HG/SS, or maybe even a triple adventure all the way to level 100!
  • Removal of HMs.
    • You can keep the old HMs as TMs, but dedicating the moveslots of 1/3 your team just to get around the world sucks. You should pick the 6 Pokémon you like best, not the 4 you like best and 2 that can have all the moves you need to walk around properly.
  • The return of Pokémon Amie.
    • Best feature.
  • Ability to "re-ball" a Pokémon.
    • You caught your Pidgey in a Pokéball, and have a Premier Ball in your bag. You can "spend" the Premier ball to change Pidgey's ball-type to Premier instead of regular.
    • Cherish Balls are immune to this effect.
  • The return of a way to change/customize your appearance.
    • I can't help but love this feature in XY.
  • The IV checker guy stands at the daycare instead of miles away.
    • Would be a more significant improvement than adding any new Pokémon or regions.
  • The return of super training.
    • EVs made easy.
  • Getting the shiny charm while you actually still want to play the game instead of when you've finished literally EVERYTHING.
    • I want to enjoy the game with my team looking how I visioned them, rather than getting said team after I both "caught 'em all" and rule the known region as Champion/king.
  • Pokémon bank functionality.
    • A must, but I'm 99% sure this will happen anyway.
  • The return of carry-able berry farms.
    • You don't have to remember where you planted them, they're in your bag.
  • Not many new Pokémon, and that all new Pokémon are significant additions and not just reworks of older Pokés.
    • X/Y did a good job with how much they introduced, keep it up, but make the new ones more significant and have their own spotlights rather than being rehashes of old content.
    • No more normal-types that are more-or-less the same.
    • No more fire/fighting typed starter.
  • More RPG elements out of battle, and a more in-depth story than "kill everything without remorse and somehow are still the hero."
    • More out of battle puzzles, quest lines that change depending on a select able course of action (adding replay value), becoming the champion or not, etc.
  • The return of the Eon Flute (or similar item).
    • Flying to routes and not cities FTW.
  • A rework of the National Pokédex.
    • Evolutions are close together. Nostalgia ruined.
    • Sneasel would be before Weavile, etc.
    • Megas could be added to the dex for fun.
  • Better balance of all fully-evolved Pokémon.
    • These are their top forms, there will always be power disparity, but it's pretty far out, even on a fundamental level of simple base stats. Squish the fan-made-tiers together a bit by making the number levels more standard for fully evolved Pokés.
  • Not getting screwed out of learnable moves by evolving too early.
    • Consistency of learnable moves between evolutions.
    • Example: Ninetales can learn all the moves Vulpix learns with the move trainer.
  • The return of Secret Bases + functionality improvements and the ability to fly/teleport to your base at any time.
    • Love this feature.
  • The ability to rename any Pokémon that doesn't have a nickname (even if somebody traded it to you). If they actually bothered to give it a nickname, then you can't change it.
    • Example1: You get traded a Butterfree named "Butterfree." You can give it a nickname.
    • Example2: You get traded a Butterfree named "Wings." You are stuck with that nickname and cannot change it.
  • The return of Wonder Trade.
    • It's the best lotto for when you're bored or want to get rid of useful stuff without releasing it.
  • Character cameos and references from older games.
    • Goes with the story and RP discussion above.
  • The return of Pokéball effects customization.
    • You know, the effect that poofs out when you send your Pokémon into battle. I think it was in HG/SS that you could customize this. Bring it back.
  • An easier way to grind money (not necessarially EXP) in game to buy TMs and secret base materials.
    • Make it easier to rebattle trainers or something, idk, but money should be easier to get mid to late game.
  • A rework of battle items to have a 100% consistency between in-game battling and link battling.
    • Example: Potion works everywhere, but it can only be used in X way.
    • One way of doing this would be to give every Pokémon two item slots, one hold item and one expendable item that is automatically used at the appropriate time. Similar to having a main-hand weapon and an off-hand weapon in an RPG.

Last edited:
My take on the HM problem:
1st badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to remove saplings/bramble/whatever
2nd badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to move boulders
3rd badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to smash boulders
4th badge: Teaches a Water type Pokemon how to ferry a trainer across water (And boats/jetski service for traveling between islands)
5th badge: Flashlight.
6th badge: Teaches a Flying Pokemon to carry it's trainer across the skies (Eon Flute style and like how you can fly by AreaNav in ORAS)
7th badge: Diving gear/teaches a Water Pokemon to submerge underwater
8th badge: Teaches a Pokemon how to climb rocky walls.
Hall of Fame: Water type Pokemon gain the secret technique needed to scale Waterfalls.
The HM moves will instead be taught by Move Tutor. This allows both for the removal of HMS from your moveset.
One thing I hope they do is have the flowers return. Returning to a route in X/Y and finding new, stronger Pokemon in a different type of grass was one of my favorite features.
I don't think the HM issue necessarily needs to be solved by removing HMs entirely (especially since they've all been in game moves for a while now), but I'd like to see HM moves actually become good so you don't have to sacrifice having good moves just because the game needs you to. Like for example, rock smash could be higher power and either always lower defense or have a chance to harshly lower defense, and fly could either have slightly higher power and 100% accuracy or just not take 2 turns. Right now the only HM moves used for anything but puzzles and obstacles are surf and waterfall, and what do you know, those have decent base power and don't have any gimmick like fly. HMs just really need to be something you'd want to use instead of something you have to use.

I don't think the HM issue necessarily needs to be solved by removing HMs entirely (especially since they've all been in game moves for a while now), but I'd like to see HM moves actually become good so you don't have to sacrifice having good moves just because the game needs you to. Like for example, rock smash could be higher power and either always lower defense or have a chance to harshly lower defense, and fly could either have slightly higher power and 100% accuracy or just not take 2 turns. Right now the only HM moves used for anything but puzzles and obstacles are surf and waterfall, and what do you know, those have decent base power and don't have any gimmick like fly. HMs just really need to be something you'd want to use instead of something you have to use.
You'd still have to use them. It's not a matter of choice. If no Pokemon you have can use the HM effectively, you're still being forced to use them. The way I purposed would allow them to be buffed and still not be a hassle to deal with if you have better moves.

You'd still have to use them. It's not a matter of choice. If no Pokemon you have can use the HM effectively, you're still being forced to use them. The way I purposed would allow them to be buffed and still not be a hassle to deal with if you have better moves.
True. Ultimately the idea of HMs was never a good idea, it's just been a leftover from some of the questionable design decisions from Gen1. Considering how long they've been around though I don't think they're going away, so this would be a much more likely change to the HM system.

True. Ultimately the idea of HMs was never a good idea, it's just been a leftover from some of the questionable design decisions from Gen1. Considering how long they've been around though I don't think they're going away, so this would be a much more likely change to the HM system.
I included in my list of hopes a full kazoo soundtrack, I'm not going for likely. :p

The some of the main things things I would want for future games:

• Less catering towards the metagame, at the expense of the main story. Pokemon was never designed to have a proper metagame and it should never be designed like that over a singleplayer experience. X/Y were pretty bad for focusing on the metagame instead of the main story, as it is very easy to just force your way through as quickly as possible to reach the postgame which players get access to the metagame. Just don't let the metagame get in the way of the main game.
  • Shake the roles up a bit. The earlygame bugs grow quickly and you will usually have their full evolution by Level 10 or so. Maybe the regional bug could evolve much later than that and the pokemon that takes that role could be a fast-adapting ghost that you find later on.
  • More branching evolutions. One of the good things Touhoumon Purple did was give most puppets (Pokemon) multiple evolutions via shard (stone). I want to see more of this in Pokemon outside of a few isolated cases; more pokemon with the ability to branch off into other evolutions to give them alternative abilities and strengths.
  • More baby pokemon, giving you access to later pokemon earlier. Maybe we can have a baby Miltank or Tauros? Perhaps a baby Tropius could be useful.
  • Make the earlygame pokes better, particuarly statwise. So that earlygame bug that you trained that evolved at level 10? Maybe it can get away with being pretty weak ingame because of bad moves and/or type matchups... until you get to the endgame; where it gets access to a whole host of powerful moves and/or Hidden ability that puts it up to scratch with the later pokemon.
  • Nerf the abilities that give "artifical" boosts. Abilities like Sheer Force and Hustle are fine, because they come with big drawbacks. However things like Huge/Pure Power, the -ilate abilities, Protean and Gale Wings are not. Huge Power could be 1.5x Attack after having used held item, Pure 1.5x Special Attack after having used held item. The -ilate abilities can simply change the type of Normal moves to the prescribed type without the 1.3x power boost. Protean can change the user's type after the attack ends and not before (nerf Greninja without touching Keckleon) and Gale Wings could also halve the power of any Flying type attack.

Last edited:
Nerf the abilities that give "artifical" boosts. Abilities like Sheer Force and Hustle are fine, because they come with big drawbacks. However things like Huge/Pure Power, the -ilate abilities, Protean and Gale Wings are not. Huge Power could be 1.5x Attack after having used held item, Pure 1.5x Special Attack after having used held item. The -ilate abilities can simply change the type of Normal moves to the prescribed type without the 1.3x power boost. Protean can change the user's type after the attack ends and not before (nerf Greninja without touching Keckleon) and Gale Wings could also halve the power of any Flying type attack.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this point. Most of the Pokemon that get Pure Power/Huge Power need it to have any form of value when battling against other people. For instance, Azumarill without Huge Power has an attack stat of 75. Azumarill needs Huge Power to do any damage, and if it got nerfed Azumarill suddenly goes from a bulky yet hard hitting Pokemon to just another wall that does worse than other walls. The -ilate abilities are unique, and allow you to use moves you normally wouldn't. That Protean nerf doesn't make sense. If your gonna nerf one type changing move, nerf them both. If you halved the power of any Flying type move with Gale Wings, then suddenly it's worthless. You might aswell use an actual priority move, since every attack you do, regardless if you needed the priority, is suddenly half as strong.
These random nerfs won't fix anything, they'd just screw a couple of Pokemon over.

Less catering towards the metagame, at the expense of the main story. Pokemon was never designed to have a proper metagame and it should never be designed like that over a singleplayer experience. X/Y were pretty bad for focusing on the metagame instead of the main story, as it is very easy to just force your way through as quickly as possible to reach the postgame which players get access to the metagame. Just don't let the metagame get in the way of the main game.

Pokemon has always been designed to be a competitive game. That's part of what many people play Pokemon for: to catch and train their team to beat their friends/other people's teams. Gen 2 didn't have to introduce Steel/Dark type to balance Psychic, or have held items, or split the Special stat. Gen 3 didn't have to introduce double battles, or abilities. Gen 4 could've not introduced the physical/special split. Gen 5 could've just not introduced Hidden Abilities. Gen 6 didn't need the Fairy type.

Pokemon has always been a game for multiplayer interaction, and the metagame has been constantly evolving with each new generation.

More RPG elements out of battle, and a more in-depth story than "kill everything without remorse and somehow are still the hero."
  • More out of battle puzzles, quest lines that change depending on a select able course of action (adding replay value), becoming the champion or not, etc.
Honestly I'd love for their to be more puzzles than just Strength boulder pushing, and I'd love for a story like Black and White's. In those games, you knew from the instant N told you he was king of Team Plasma that he was gonna attack the Pokemon League, and it provides great motivation to get there. No longer was it "hey the evil team is here and the Elite Four won't do anything so beat them and then beat the Elite Four" It's now that the Elite Four and Champion tried to stop him, and failed. You tried to stop him at Dragonspiral Tower, and failed. So now, you gotta storm his castle and climb your way up to him.
Speaking of Black and White, the games were honestly hard. Lenora's Watchog, N, Ghetsis, and then the postgame superbosses were all especially difficult.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this point. Most of the Pokemon that get Pure Power/Huge Power need it to have any form of value when battling against other people. For instance, Azumarill without Huge Power has an attack stat of 75. Azumarill needs Huge Power to do any damage, and if it got nerfed Azumarill suddenly goes from a bulky yet hard hitting Pokemon to just another wall that does worse than other walls. The -ilate abilities are unique, and allow you to use moves you normally wouldn't. That Protean nerf doesn't make sense. If your gonna nerf one type changing move, nerf them both. If you halved the power of any Flying type move with Gale Wings, then suddenly it's worthless. You might aswell use an actual priority move, since every attack you do, regardless if you needed the priority, is suddenly half as strong.
These random nerfs won't fix anything, they'd just screw a couple of Pokemon over.

The problem here is that Huge/Pure Power is solely why Azumarill is OU material and why all it's other abilities and Special Moves are useless. Azumarill has a Base 50 Attack stat normally. Huge Power gives it a whopping Base 150 Attack stat. That's right, it gives Azumarill an artifical 100 BST boost and the ability to singlehandedly carry trainers through the main game for the most part. Furthermore, the sheer OPness of the same ability is why Mega Mawile got banned by Smogon and Mega Medicham is such a huge threat. If Huge/Pure Power is to be nerfed; the pokemon who relied on the ability (Azumarill line, Medicham line) will need buffs to their attack stats, as both lines lack in BST (Azumarill has 420 and Medicham has 410 before Mega, around 100 BST below most fully evolved pokemon) because of Huge Power.
The -ilate abilities let you use moves you normally wouldn't because the user usually gets STAB out of it, before the stupid Power increase. Quick Attack and Double Edge would still be useful on Mega Pinsir without the boost while Hyper Voice would be still useful on Mega Gardevoir and Sylveon in Doubles because it hits multiple Pokemon as opposed to Moonblast hitting one. In their current state, with the 1.3x boost, they have broken far more pokemon than what they have balanced. It made Mega Salamence become so broken that Smogon had to ban it from Doubles on addition to Singles and IIRC Mega Gardevoir got banned because it's Hyper Voice made it too powerful. Others that didn't become broken, it either will be their only viable ability (in the case of Sylveon) or it is the main reason it is threatening (eg. Mega Pinsir). Nerfing those abilities will probably make Mega Salamence manageable, Mega Gardevoir and Pinsir being in line with most of OU and give Sylveon more of a reason to use other abilities. If those abilities were to get the nerfbat, I would add in more Special Normal moves so Specially-based users have more reason to use their -ilate ability, give Sylveon another good ability.
Protean is the only reason why Greninja became as OP as it became, especially when OR/AS came out when it had access to Gunk Shot so it can screw over the fairies that walled it, as Greninja would be bottom-tier material without the ability. My suggested nerf will nerf Greninja so it will become a managable threat and not an OP monster while the other pokemon that gets the ability, Keckleon, will remain untouched for the most part (Since when are you going to be using Keckleon in an offensive role?). By the way, what other type-changing abilities are there? Colour Change and Multitype are the only ones I know of; Colour Change happening after you take the attack and Multitype changing type depending on what plate Arceus is holding.
Gale Wings, on a fundamental level, is broken and is the sole reason why Talonflame is so powerful in OU (IIRC, it even got banned over it). Like Shadow Tag (which I, by the way, also want to see nerfed so Mega Gengar and Gothitelle wouldn't be so OP), the ability Gale Wings grants is nigh impossible to nerf without making it useless. The best way I thought I could go about it is by halving the power of Flying-type moves, as it still gives Talonflame (and potential future Pokemon that has it) the ability to revenge-kill just about anything that has low HP without giving it a Choice Scarf, while making it balanced and gives reason for the user to use it's other abilities.

Pokemon has always been designed to be a competitive game. That's part of what many people play Pokemon for: to catch and train their team to beat their friends/other people's teams. Gen 2 didn't have to introduce Steel/Dark type to balance Psychic, or have held items, or split the Special stat. Gen 3 didn't have to introduce double battles, or abilities. Gen 4 could've not introduced the physical/special split. Gen 5 could've just not introduced Hidden Abilities. Gen 6 didn't need the Fairy type.

Pokemon has always been a game for multiplayer interaction, and the metagame has been constantly evolving with each new generation.

Sure, if that's how you played the game. But it is a fact that Pokemon was never designed to have a metagame in the first place but rather the metagaming aspect really took off with Pokemon Platinum, or else we would have been seeing more balance on Gamefreak's part early on.
Gen I's metagame was a complete and utter trainwreck. Your only options were offense and you had to be fast; with Alakazam taking the cake because not only did it hit ridiculously hard with it's unresisted STAB but because it was so fast it crit at an insane rate. Gen II fixed a lot of issues, but there came problems like the Female Attack IV issue and several types still had a huge lack of representatives and moves (IIRC Bug, Dragon and Steel each had like 3 moves all up). Beyond that I can't comment.
Then we get to Gen III, with all of its new additions and whatnot was IIRC when the competitive scene started becoming noticeable. Gamefreak started catering to them with Gen IV, by adding in numerous features like the EV boosting equipment and the Choice items in the postgame, and that's when competitive really took off. Gen V was when Gamefreak started catering to the metagame at large, but it still felt like something to do on the side after you beaten the games. Finally with X/Y, Gamefreak made it so easy to just force your way through the main story so you can get to playing in the metagame ASAP; where it felt that the point of the game was largely to get you out of the main story ASAP and play the metagame and the main story suffered from it.
I am not saying to throw out the metagame, but I rather I am saying that I want to see a good singleplayer main game experience and think of playing competitive as a side thing instead of said metagame being the main attraction. I don't want Pokemon going the way of many online shooters that you play only for multiplayer.

Edit: The innovations that you mentioned that the later gens did that you listed, except for the Fairy type and arguably Hidden Abilities, were not made with competitive in mind; but rather with ingame flavour and/or balance. The Psychic nerf in Gen II was needed because Psychic was obscenely overpowered even for ingame while the Special stat did not make much sense being dual Attack/Defense and held items allowed for far much more flavour and depth in the games. Double Battles were introduced to make battles more than just 1v1 and Abilties were added in to add flavour to pokemon. The Physical/Special Split was introduced because the attack category designation based on types was simply was not going to cut it with the ever expanding variety of pokemon (case in point: Weavile would be useless if the split did not occur; as both it's STABs would have been Special then) and it simply does not make sense to have things like Fire Punch run off Special Attack and Hyper Beam run off Physical Attack.

Last edited:
TBH I'll probably be happy with Sun & Moon as long as there's a Battle Factory mode in the postgame. Battle Factory's the only reason I play Emerald still, and the main story is probably going to be as easy as X/Y based on Hau's starter always being weak to yours, so really the only important thing to me is having something to do in the postgame.

Hmm, so I had an interesting thought, what if Sun/Moon and Pokemon GO had some sort of cross-play thing. Like, Pokemon you catch in GO could be transferred to Sun/Moon or Bank and then used in an actual game. I think that would be pretty neat and would add some flavor to events, "Get this fancy new event Pikachu by booting up Pokemon GO and finding it in the wild."

Back
Top Bottom