Drawings & Paintings ppower arts

The forums were a bit in a vocal state last month, and I felt affected by the forum community more than the changes made to the forums. So I took a short break to reconsider.

Makes sense. I haven't been active, either but it's mostly to focus more on schoolwork (and to question the state of the community as a whole (I would love to talk to a veteran about this, but something tells me that it isn't necessary to think too deep into)>

Aso SMO is a VERY great Mario game. And I have yet to finish it since it's release in 2017.

I've talked about Cave Story earlier around half-a-year ago:
Drawings & Paintings - ppower arts

Some time ago, in 2017, I was in a metroidvania mood and was looking to find a new one.
At that time, someone suggested me to play Cave Story, a small, humble indie game.

And since that time, I keep coming back to that one from time to time again.
Sometimes as a player, sometimes as a challenger, and sometimes as a gamedev. Just to give this game a little more appreciation.
Since I learned that a single dev has made a game of this scale, then it's something that I already find impressive at my time.
And after knowing my own limits on gamedev, then it's something I find only more impressive for that dev to pull it off.

Even though I've often made several doodles of Cave Story in the past, I've not given it a proper drawing on it's own. So here I went, giving it a little more appreciation. :)
cave story.png

In case you don't know about Cave Story:
It's basically the game where the Robot Hat originates from:
1692306113313.png

It's a story-driven Metroidvania where you explore through levels, find weapons you can switch between and level up, and fight bosses to make progress on the story.
What I think that sets it apart from other Metroidvanias is on how cute it is. Not just the sprites, but also the music, the effects, and collectable items have all kind of a cozy charm to it, and it's story goes pretty deep for an indie.
It's a game that honestly stands the test of time pretty well, (with at worst been unskippable cutscenes)

My biggest part is probably that a single dev has made it though, over the course of 5 years. And even almost 19 years later, I still hear people talking about this.
It has been a huge inspiration for me and many other gamedevs as well.

So, maybe I'll draw some more of it in the future,
but if you feel like picking it up, the game is a freeware(!) and you can download it on this site:
www.cavestory.org
(this is not sponsored :p)

But since that time, there was actually a different drawing in mind that I also wanted to make for Cave Story as well. So consider this as the sequel part. :p
Happy 20th Anniversary, Cave Story!!

Undead Core.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom