tModLoader Prefixes for Enemies

Great mod, adds a lot more challenge for those who think Expert Mode still isn't enough.

Small bug: Spider-type enemies re-roll their prefix(es) everytime they latch on or off a wall. Not sure it can be fixed, though. If not, let's call it a special spider sense thingy or something.

Most frustrating moment: Was fighting Queen Bee, everything was going well. Then the Bee attack came up. THREE of them spawned with Martyr and the hive was filled with one big explosion (as well as my entrails). I'm not even mad, don't change that please.

On a side note, is there a way for a mod to detect whether or not an NPC is a boss? If so, maybe preventing them from getting suffixes would be better. Some extra projectiles or even health regen on the Moon Lord wouldn't be so bad, but 9 lives would be nuts. Time-restricted bosses would be even worse.

Also, how does the "splitter" prefix behave on boss segments? For example, if a Skeletron Hand has it, would he get more hands? Or would we get a whole new Skeletron? Or even a crash?

Great mod, adds a lot more challenge for those who think Expert Mode still isn't enough.

Small bug: Spider-type enemies re-roll their prefix(es) everytime they latch on or off a wall. Not sure it can be fixed, though. If not, let's call it a special spider sense thingy or something.

Most frustrating moment: Was fighting Queen Bee, everything was going well. Then the Bee attack came up. THREE of them spawned with Martyr and the hive was filled with one big explosion (as well as my entrails). I'm not even mad, don't change that please.

On a side note, is there a way for a mod to detect whether or not an NPC is a boss? If so, maybe preventing them from getting suffixes would be better. Some extra projectiles or even health regen on the Moon Lord wouldn't be so bad, but 9 lives would be nuts. Time-restricted bosses would be even worse.

Also, how does the "splitter" prefix behave on boss segments? For example, if a Skeletron Hand has it, would he get more hands? Or would we get a whole new Skeletron? Or even a crash?

Huh, the wall-spider and ground-spider must be totally different npcs. Not sure how I would go about fixing that, might take a look at the vanilla code and see if I can pass info for prefixes when it switches.

Hah, at least it gives you a chance to get out of the way. In a tight space like a hive, though, I imagine it would be rough.

I'm open to restricting suffixes from bosses, and have been on the fence about it for a while. Thanks for the feedback - I'll probably end up doing that and maybe enabling a way to summon them with suffixes for a challenge.

It depends how the npc is coded. For Skeletron, I would imagine that a splitter hand would spawn more hands, but a splitter head would probably spawn heads and hands, since I think the head spawns two hands when it spawns. I'd have to check the vanilla code. I'll probably exclude this prefix from bosses, too, since it could potentially cause all sorts of issues.

Last edited:
It would be very nice if bosses didn't have prefixes on them. Especially if you prepared all day for a boss fight at night, then the boss you summon is super beefed up with a prefix, it seems that all the preparation and gathering was wasted because of the unfair fight.

It would be very nice if bosses didn't have prefixes on them. Especially if you prepared all day for a boss fight at night, then the boss you summon is super beefed up with a prefix, it seems that all the preparation and gathering was wasted because of the unfair fight.

Do you mean prefix or suffix? Bosses getting prefixes is pretty core, though some of them may be kind of broken (like splitter). Suffixes, though, are all a little too strong to get stuck with one, even if they're 1/100.

Do you mean prefix or suffix? Bosses getting prefixes is pretty core, though some of them may be kind of broken (like splitter). Suffixes, though, are all a little too strong to get stuck with one, even if they're 1/100.
the prefixes arent that bad, but some bosses are already hard enough in expert and having an op suffix (sometime prefix) makes it hard.

well, about splitter on bosses. yes it can cause a few glitches.
happened to me on the ancient cultist. resulting in 3 more cultists
it spawned the lunar event 3 times in total though (1 missing) and completing the lunar event only worked once (even after killing the moon lord)

getting splitter on moonlord could be fun though xD
so far my worst experience was when i started my summoner run and was "ready" for the EoC... it got regenerating and tough... that was fun as i couldnt kill it and it couldnt kill me, so in the end it despawned into the day.

are there ways to implement prefixes which bypass things like dodging? Rockos ARPG mod adds several increasements for dodging, so you can end up with over 100% dodge.. currently my ranger is invulnerable there. thats kind of why im asking xD

2) Infinite Eater of Worlds.

Not sure what to say about this. I'm assuming the "Split" prefix is simply spawning an entirely new eater of worlds. This was hilarious when I was doing it with my decked out character. Not so funny on my first kill and I have ~500 fragments of the Eater of World chasing me down.

well, about splitter on bosses. yes it can cause a few glitches.
happened to me on the ancient cultist. resulting in 3 more cultists
it spawned the lunar event 3 times in total though (1 missing) and completing the lunar event only worked once (even after killing the moon lord)

getting splitter on moonlord could be fun though xD

I knew the dangers of the Splitter prefix when I suggested it, I too faced the wrath of the eternal EoW, it was surprising and fun when it happened to me, And I do agree that the EoW should be blacklisted from the Splitter prefix

That lunatic cultist bug sounds pretty dang cool if I do say so myself, And Splitter Moon Lord is something I now feel like striving to see... 6/9/12 True Eyes of Cthulhu hunting you down when they all reach phase 2, Two to four Death Lasers at once... It sounds like hell, But I want to see it so badly

I knew the dangers of the Splitter prefix when I suggested it, I too faced the wrath of the eternal EoW, it was surprising and fun when it happened to me, And I do agree that the EoW should be blacklisted from the Splitter prefix

That lunatic cultist bug sounds pretty dang cool if I do say so myself, And Splitter Moon Lord is something I now feel like striving to see... 6/9/12 True Eyes of Cthulhu hunting you down when they all reach phase 2, Two to four Death Lasers at once... It sounds like hell, But I want to see it so badly
if i could i would make a video of it xD i could go for it and make a fun screenshot though

Indeed you could, I'd like to see it if you do
Maybe I'll be lucky enough to run into it... And then die to it
ok no need to see anything as you cant see anything.
moon lord is a bit special as his parts arent exactly dying. they simply get disabled and an eye spawns. at the end the disabled parts simply get removed and the drops are spawned in the center of the disappeared moon lord together with the gore

so long story short: splitter has no effect on moon lord

ok no need to see anything as you cant see anything.
moon lord is a bit special as his parts arent exactly dying. they simply get disabled and an eye spawns. at the end the disabled parts simply get removed and the drops are spawned in the center of the disappeared moon lord together with the gore

so long story short: splitter has no effect on moon lord

Oh, alright, Thanks for clearing that up

as i thought it could be fun to see what happens if you set the chance for splitter to 100% (sry hiccup for messing around with your code)
here a screenshot after a second of firing a minigun into a splitter slime
baab086fb2.jpg

just btw: my game ran on 1 fps while firing with luminite bullets xD

Edit: wyvern look awesome aswell, but since theyre not multipart which split up like EoW does not that bad
21819bcb31.jpg

Last edited:
New update up! Mostly a bugfix and balancing patch. Apart from issues reported here, I also fixed imp/dark caster type projectiles from spawning with prefixes (they're actually 1HP enemies - crazy, right?) and kept master ninja off some enemies that don't want me messing with their invincibility. The biggest balance change is the removal of suffixes from all bosses. Note that this only includes the actual boss - some bosses with multiple parts, like Skeletron, can still have suffixes on their smaller parts. In the future, I may add a way to summon bosses with predetermined prefixes and a suffix for the challenge.

I added something of an Easter egg this patch, since it seemed timely to do so. First person to find it in-game and demonstrate what it does with screenshots or a .gfy will be officially recognized as a pretty cool dude.

so far my worst experience was when i started my summoner run and was "ready" for the EoC... it got regenerating and tough... that was fun as i couldnt kill it and it couldnt kill me, so in the end it despawned into the day.

are there ways to implement prefixes which bypass things like dodging? Rockos ARPG mod adds several increasements for dodging, so you can end up with over 100% dodge.. currently my ranger is invulnerable there. thats kind of why im asking xD
I'm 50% sure it doesn't regenerate if it's set on fire, so that should be an option for EoC - I'll ensure this is the case next patch. As far as overriding dodges goes, it depends on how it's coded in the ARPG mod. If he does it like vanilla does it, I don't think there's a way for me to reliably override it. This sounds like more of an issue within that mod, anyway; there should really be diminishing returns with a hard cap at 85% dodge or something.
as i thought it could be fun to see what happens if you set the chance for splitter to 100% (sry hiccup for messing around with your code)
There's nothing wrong with messing with this mod for your own personal use.

New update up! Mostly a bugfix and balancing patch. Apart from issues reported here, I also fixed imp/dark caster type projectiles from spawning with prefixes (they're actually 1HP enemies - crazy, right?) and kept master ninja off some enemies that don't want me messing with their invincibility. The biggest balance change is the removal of suffixes from all bosses. Note that this only includes the actual boss - some bosses with multiple parts, like Skeletron, can still have suffixes on their smaller parts. In the future, I may add a way to summon bosses with predetermined prefixes and a suffix for the challenge.

I added something of an Easter egg this patch, since it seemed timely to do so. First person to find it in-game and demonstrate what it does with screenshots or a .gfy will be officially recognized as a pretty cool dude.

I'm 50% sure it doesn't regenerate if it's set on fire, so that should be an option for EoC - I'll ensure this is the case next patch. As far as overriding dodges goes, it depends on how it's coded in the ARPG mod. If he does it like vanilla does it, I don't think there's a way for me to reliably override it. This sounds like more of an issue within that mod, anyway; there should really be diminishing returns with a hard cap at 85% dodge or something.

There's nothing wrong with messing with this mod for your own personal use.

about the easter egg.. any hints or completely up to us to find it?

about the easter egg.. any hints or completely up to us to find it?
Hmmm... You can find it naturally, don't need to fulfill any special conditions; it's just very uncommon. It'll be easiest to find closer to the start of the game.

hmm i think i found something:
389fdc4504.jpg

i didnt actually find out what it does...

BTW the Frenzied is a thing i added, just in case you are wondering

Edit: found another one:
e9e26ffe68.jpg

hmm i think i found something:
389fdc4504.jpg

i didnt actually find out what it does...

BTW the Frenzied is a thing i added, just in case you are wondering

Edit: found another one:
e9e26ffe68.jpg

Alright, now you just have to figure out what it does.

Alright, now you just have to figure out what it does.
after thinking a bit and actually using my brain, especially for the prefixes... i came to the conclusion that they might actually behave like birds/penguins.. and if my guess is right.. then i might have solved this easter egg quiz xD

actually look at these V

637327dfc3.jpg
de37452539.jpg
magic-02.jpg

after thinking a bit and actually using my brain, especially for the prefixes... i came to the conclusion that they might actually behave like birds/penguins.. and if my guess is right.. then i might have solved this easter egg quiz xD

actually look at these V

637327dfc3.jpg
de37452539.jpg
magic-02.jpg

Congratulations, you are officially a pretty cool dude!

Back
Top Bottom