Weapons & Equip Ranged may require some tweaks...

Does Ranged require any changes?

• Give them mobility, this game is like Touhou, it's all about dodging!

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • Give them new weapons! Anything that isn't a fish or a firework.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Mobility or better weapons? Why not both! Mages have both too...

Votes: 66 50.4%
  • Give rangers nothing, I don't think they deserve it.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • Or give rangers the ability to build sentry like minions and arm them with ranged weaponry!

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Change/give Vortex Armor a set bonus which grants damage bonus based on how fast the player moves!

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Change the movement speed penalties to defense penalties on Vortex Armor.

Votes: 27 20.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? That's weird. Everyone's saying it has lower DPS but that's obviously not true from what I've been testing out, I'll provide comparison screenshots later between the two. There's actually a good 1-2k DPS difference between the two, with the Celebration at the lead.
It heavily depends on situation. I did my testing while writing this post (and later editing it).
Though I still consider these Celebration problems to be most important (even more than it's DPS):
1. Badassery, which Celebration don't have. Not even a little bit. It's damned joke.
2. Low range. What do I have to say? It explodes before reaching edge of screen.
3. Low accuracy, somehow compensated by hige hitbox. Still, not fun to use.

It heavily depends on situation. I did my testing while writing this post (and later editing it).
Though I still consider these Celebration problems to be most important (even more than it's DPS):
1. Badassery, which Celebration don't have. Not even a little bit. It's damned joke.
2. Low range. What do I have to say? It explodes before reaching edge of screen.

I think the range is my only complaint, and it's also difficult to aim with the rather low projectile velocity. I'd rather that be increased as well as the range to make it easier to shoot things. As for it being a joke, I see many people complaining about stuff that isn't "badass" enough. Well, this is Terraria, are you sure you're playing the right game?
Celebration looks fine as is, just the mechanics need a bit of reworking.

As for it being a joke, I see many people complaining about stuff that isn't "badass" enough. Well, this is Terraria, are you sure you're playing the right game?
Tell that to Mages sweeping over screen with their deathray or bombarding everything with all-reaching Lunar Flare, as well as to Warriors raining down stars from heavens and obliterating everything with dual Terrarian.

I'm hearing lots of people complain about ranged being underpowered, but I think it's just a bit too generic. We shoot bullets with guns. Yay.
There's not really much underpowered-ness going on here if I can take down Ice Queen with the SDMG in 10secs without stealthing in Vortex armor.
My fastest Moon Lord kill was in Vortex, with the SDMG and Luminite Bullets. I guess you can say mage class DPS is superior to ranged at the moment, but ranged has much better sustained DPS, which makes it worth when you're fighting bosses and events.

That being said, ranged isn't the only "use this weapon, or don't get superior DPS" class. Last Prism, anyone?

Actually sustained 8k DPS on each target with manasick Last Prism that pierces infinite enemies can't be beaten. Unstealthed you kill the Ice Queen in 10s? How cute, it doesn't even take 5s for a mage to kill them.
In order to do anything similar, you may require around ~4k Luminite Bullets to have stable piercing damage with S.D.M.G. and you'd need stealth as S.D.M.G. has a pathetic base damage and a low rate of fire. Yeah, 15 shots with a base damage of 111 (89+22) can't be compared to fully piercing 36 shots of 115 base damage. Last Prism deals more than double the DPS of S.D.M.G. even the 80% damage bonus from stealth can't help that.

If you can't be bothered to "cheat", then you can just craft ammo res potions.
As we already talked about it, farming Ammo Reservation potion takes time away as well. Sooo if you farm Ammo Res potions, you spend the same time you would have spent by farming the ammo you didn't farm. Almost. Chlorophyte may grow while you fish for Ammo Res potions, but I won't use Chlorophyte ever again. There's no way that would happen, unless the next patch gives us Endless Chlorophyte.

EDIT: As for the SDMG being "lame", it's also powerful, which means it and the Meowmere are pretty much in the same boat here. That being said, the SDMG can be placed nearly on par with the Last Prism in terms of DPS if you have the correct gear on, no need for stealth. I was able to deal 18K DPS on a single target dummy with Luminite Bullets and an Unreal SDMG. I won't list the exact accessories and stuff I used for the sake of making long story short. However, in my opinion, the SDMG is in no way a "lame" fishgun. It's just boring.
Obviously modded. S.D.M.G. won't even reach 10k in this dimension with a combination of all Menacing nor with all Lucky: Ranger Emblem, Sniper Scope, Destroyer Emblem, Avenger Emblem. Not even close to possible. Even if you use all menacing and all of your shots crit at the same time, you won't see anything over 10,5k against a target dummy with Luminite Bullets. Impossibru.
Even Crystal Bullets, the best single target bullet I can think of won't reach 10k most of the time.
Actually you can't even deal 18k DPS to 2 target dummies either, as the 2nd one won't take damage more than 6x a second as the second target is only hit with the secondary piercing, not the original Luminite projectile.
Even with your best luck, you'd be stuck around ~15k DPS on two target dummies.

Sooo extremely modded...
At least, tell us what did you mod in to make your damage that high, 18k is so much that even Nebula buffs won't increase your DPS to that level.

Really? That's weird. Everyone's saying it has lower DPS but that's obviously not true from what I've been testing out, I'll provide comparison screenshots later between the two. There's actually a good 1-2k DPS difference between the two, with the Celebration at the lead.
Again, modded as everyone else playing it without patchers and other mods state the opposite. Even basic numbers tell you that, the Snowman Cannon has a higher base damage, the use time is exactly the half of Celebration which shoots 2 rockets. In the end it is mathematically impossible for the Snowman Cannon to be weaker. Maybe you should try to uninstall your mods and test again. Celebration is definitely the weaker one in the vanilla game.

Actually the hitbox isn't as large as the animation. Don't let that fool you, it has the same hitbox as every other rocket launcher. Just sayin'.

Actually sustained 8k DPS on each target with manasick Last Prism that pierces infinite enemies can't be beaten. Unstealthed you kill the Ice Queen in 10s? How cute, it doesn't even take 5s for a mage to kill them.
In order to do anything similar, you may require around ~4k Luminite Bullets to have stable piercing damage with S.D.M.G. and you'd need stealth as S.D.M.G. has a pathetic base damage and a low rate of fire. Yeah, 15 shots with a base damage of 111 (89+22) can't be compared to fully piercing 36 shots of 115 base damage. Last Prism deals more than double the DPS of S.D.M.G. even the 80% damage bonus from stealth can't help that.

As we already talked about it, farming Ammo Reservation potion takes time away as well. Sooo if you farm Ammo Res potions, you spend the same time you would have spent by farming the ammo you didn't farm. Almost. Chlorophyte may grow while you fish for Ammo Res potions, but I won't use Chlorophyte ever again. There's no way that would happen, unless the next patch gives us Endless Chlorophyte.

Obviously modded. S.D.M.G. won't even reach 10k in this dimension with a combination of all Menacing nor with all Lucky: Ranger Emblem, Sniper Scope, Destroyer Emblem, Avenger Emblem. Not even close to possible. Even if you use all menacing and all of your shots crit at the same time, you won't see anything over 10,5k against a target dummy with Luminite Bullets. Impossibru.
Even Crystal Bullets, the best single target bullet I can think of won't reach 10k most of the time.
Actually you can't even deal 18k DPS to 2 target dummies either, as the 2nd one won't take damage more than 6x a second as the second target is only hit with the secondary piercing, not the original Luminite projectile.
Even with your best luck, you'd be stuck around ~15k DPS on two target dummies.

Sooo extremely modded...
At least, tell us what did you mod in to make your damage that high, 18k is so much that even Nebula buffs won't increase your DPS to that level.

Again, modded as everyone else playing it without patchers and other mods state the opposite. Even basic numbers tell you that, the Snowman Cannon has a higher base damage, the use time is exactly the half of Celebration which shoots 2 rockets. In the end it is mathematically impossible for the Snowman Cannon to be weaker. Maybe you should try to uninstall your mods and test again. Celebration is definitely the weaker one in the vanilla game.

Actually the hitbox isn't as large as the animation. Don't let that fool you, it has the same hitbox as every other rocket launcher. Just sayin'.
Atleast we can use the Celebration to Light up caves with ease...

Wait. I just realised something.

Guys, we've made it to the 20th page! Wohooo! Someone bring the champagne (or, at least, Molotov cocktails...), we're going to party!

Ok, back to the topic:
As with modifiers, Menacing and Lucky, even with different effect, have exactly the same impact on DPS, just with Lucky making more RNG. I prefer Menacing though, as it's not based on luck as the former (pun intended).

If I'm right, then it would follow this pattern:
4% chance to get double damage is equal to 4% more damage because:
24*100 + 200 = 25*104
Though when it comes to Crit Chance, You can't be sure if it will always go according to your plan ;)

EDIT: Sorry, wanted my posts to merge
Man, I'm impressed that You've found use for it.

Last edited:
Man, I'm impressed that You've found use for it.
Thats the Only reason i have the Celebration in my Inventory...
Anyways..my Problem is that...I dunno..Ranger has Only three Endgame Weapons...while Solar Flare Wielders and Nebula Mages have atleast 4-6 Endgame Weapons which are Effective ( Not like the Celebration..)

Actually I believe the Lunar Flare is much better at that. xD
Now that I think about it, Esmeralda the Slimegirl suggested her idea about Airstrike... ...which is pretty much a ranged version of Lunar Flare. At the moment, from all the weapons, Meowmere and Lunar Flare are my favourite ones.
Well, if we had something like that I couldn't care any less what the other ranged drops are. xD

If I'm right, then it would follow this pattern:
4% chance to get double damage is equal to 4% more damage because:
24*100 + 200 = 25*104
Though when it comes to Crit Chance, You can't be sure if it will always go according to your plan ;)
Actually damage increase is slightly better as crits are doubling the damage after defense.
Added to 100 base damage against 20 defense, the difference between 4% crit and 4% damage is like:
(100*1.04)-30/2=89
vs
(100-30/2)*1.04=88.4

Of course, as damage bonus and critical hit chance are multiplicative modifiers to each other. Increasing the lower one offers the better DPS increase generally.
If you have to choose between 20% crit and 20% damage you should always consider increasing your lower percentage. Of course crit chance beyond 100% won't increase your DPS, after that, only damage bonuses help you any further.

An example of 36% damage and 27% crit chance you want to choose between increasing damage and crit from accessories:
All meancing: 156%*127% => 198,12%
All lucky: 136%*147% => 199,92%
Menacing x2 and Lucky x3: 144%*139% => 200,16%
As you can see, in case of ranged, mixed with Lucky might prove better on paper first, but after consideration of how defense is subtracted from critical hits twice, decreasing the effect of crits on DPS in general, I'd say Lucky and Menacing are perfectly equal in the end, it's a matter of personal preference.

Ironically, I use All Lucky in order to decrease randomness in my DPS. As of 1.3 ranged can reach around 100% crit with the use of all Lucky accessories and Rage potion, using several weapons, completely removing the random nature of crits. Even weapons with base crit tend to reach around 90% crit chance after Rage potion which is quite stable.

Edit: As for spelunking goes, I use the Clentaminator instead. Whenever I take a world seriously I cleanse it completely first which draws it on my map as well. =^-^=

Last edited:
Ironically, I use All Lucky in order to decrease randomness in my DPS. As of 1.3 ranged can reach around 100% crit with the use of all Lucky accessories and Rage potion, using several weapons, completely removing the random nature of crits. Even weapons with base crit tend to reach around 90% crit chance after Rage potion which is quite stable.
If You reach 100% crit chance, Crit chance randomness is ultimately eliminated from it, thus leavin only standard damage fluctuation, so that it's logical. Though it must be 100% to eliminate anything at all.

Well, I'll be honest, I had a Wrath and a Rage potion on at the time, as well as:
Avenger Emblem (12% +4)
Destroyer Emblem (10% +4)
Sniper Scope (10% +4)
Ranger Emblem (15% +4)
as well as my Vortex Booster (+4)
They're all Menacing, and I had Vortex armor (+36% damage) on. I was able to put the SDMG past 200 damage per shot. I might've made a mistake and typed 18K DPS instead of 8K or something, since I'm pretty sure I didn't do 18K on a single target... I'll have to actually go in-game and check later though.

However, you all seem rather disgusted with how OP mage class is right now, and honestly, I think you're making this more difficult than it has to be. I feel like what needs to be balanced right now is the magic class. Ranged is only "unbalanced' in comparison. I'm not even going to get into how much less "cool" the ranged weapons are, it's just not even worth arguing about. I didn't have any "mods" on though, I can assure you. The patcher was vanilla, I had some increase patched into the Spectre Armor heal rate, since I felt it was UP. Other than that and the persistent Ammo Reservation buff, I had nothing else increasing my damage (besides the potions I drank). I'd make a video to prove the Celebration's DPS is indeed higher, but honestly, I can't be bothered. I'll go in-game and take screenshots though.

EDIT: Practically speaking though, I do agree Snowman Cannon is better. It has homing projectiles, and the Celebration needs both shots to hit in order to do decent damage.

Well, I'll be honest, I had a Wrath and a Rage potion on at the time, as well as:
Avenger Emblem (12% +4)
Sniper Scope (10% +4)
Ranger Emblem (15% +4)
They're all Menacing, and I had Vortex armor on. I was able to put the SDMG past 200 damage per shot. I might've made a mistake and typed 18K DPS instead of 8K or something, since I'm pretty sure I didn't do 18K on a single target... I'll have to actually go in-game and check later though.

However, you all seem rather disgusted with how OP mage class is right now, and honestly, I think you're making this more difficult than it has to be. I feel like what needs to be balanced right now is the magic class. Ranged is only "unbalanced' in comparison. I'm not even going to get into how much less "cool" the ranged weapons are, it's just not even worth arguing about. I didn't have any "mods" on though, I can assure you. The patcher was vanilla, I had some increase patched into the Spectre Armor heal rate, since I felt it was UP. Other than that and the persistent Ammo Reservation buff, I had nothing else increasing my damage (besides the potions I drank). I'd make a video to prove the Celebration's DPS is indeed higher, but honestly, I can't be bothered. I'll go in-game and take screenshots though.
Ok, going with this again:
Nerfing mages won't make our set bonuses useful, our weapons awesome and our ammo less painful to make.
Also, warriors would need to be nerfed as well. They don't do so high DPS (1-2k less with proper equipment), but make for it with durability.'
Don't even start discussion about how balanced/unbalanced Warriors and Mages are, it would be off-top. If you're going to reply, please take only blue text into account.

Avenger Emblem (12% +4)
Sniper Scope (10% +4)
Ranger Emblem (15% +4)
They're all Menacing, and I had Vortex armor (+36% damage) on. I was able to put the SDMG past 200 damage per shot. I might've made a mistake and typed 18K DPS instead of 8K or something, since I'm pretty sure I didn't do 18K on a single target... I'll have to actually go in-game and check later though.

EDIT: Practically speaking though, I do agree Snowman Cannon is better. It has homing projectiles, and the Celebration needs both shots to hit in order to do decent damage.

Well, if 18k was a typo, that explains a lot.

On the other hand, only the weirdest crit RNG can make Celebration's DPS higher than what Snowman Cannon does, especially that all those who commented in the topic previously - it was somewhere in the first five pages - experienced that Celebration had the lower DPS.

Nerfing mages won't make our set bonuses useful, our weapons awesome and our ammo less painful to make.
Nuff said. xD

Set bonus, yeah, that too. I only find it useful in multiplayer. As for the ammo....
Idk :confused:
Complain to devs? Only solution imo. There's really no workaround for this.

As for the Celebration/Snowman Cannon DPS comparisons...
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.46.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.46.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.46.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.47.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 5.47.01 PM.png

EDIT: I did have Wrath and Rage potions on, still. I don't think that really affected the results because both weapons had the same increase in stats though.

Ranger needs a few tweaks here and there due to the, needing a bit more power :/
Ranger just has Boring Weapons and Boring Setbonuses...You know? Those things that are the Best apart about a Full Armor set? Yeah...stealth is just Bad/Boring

As for the Celebration/Snowman Cannon DPS comparisons...

EDIT: I did have Wrath and Rage potions on, still. I don't think that really affected the results because both weapons had the same increase in stats though.
Can't tell what's happening there and why is it happening.
One thing is sure, I did more DPS with Snowman Cannon than that even without potions in Shroomite! xD
Sooo something doesn't really work there, Snowman Cannon, while wearing Vortex under the effect of those potions should be doing like ~2x as much damage.

nbC6yJ.png

tNg9Kv.png
So, that's how it goes. Though I must agree that Celebration does more damage on single target, what You have proven. But I tested it on mutitarget, and it's no match for Snowman Cannon.
But this is not DPS that makes it worse, but it's unability to home, low range, terrible accuracy and no badassery. Yeah, You surely see that from such low range, Celebration still missed shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom