tModLoader Reduced Grinding

im getting the smae problem with the update

Cannot get packet for ReducedGrinding because it does not exist on the other side
at Terraria.ModLoader.Mod.GetPacket(Int32 capacity)
at ReducedGrinding.ReducedGrindingPlayer.PreUpdate() in c:\Users\cntdr\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\ReducedGrinding\ReducedGrindingPlayer.cs:line 84
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.PreUpdate(Player player)
at Terraria.Player.Update(Int32 i)
at Terraria.WorldGen.do_playWorldCallBack(Object threadContext)
at Terraria.WorldGen.playWorldCallBack(Object threadContext)

Cannot get packet for ReducedGrinding because it does not exist on the other side
at ReducedGrinding.ReducedGrindingPlayer.PreUpdate() in c:\Users\cntdr\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\ReducedGrinding\ReducedGrindingPlayer.cs:line 84
Im currently using version 4.43 right now and waiting for a fix

Getting this error too. Hope it gets fixed, this mod is by far one of the most useful out there.

I am also getting this and I hope it gets fixed soon, this mod is very useful and I don't think I can play without it now.

Sorry about that, I updated my mod to 4.45. I wasn't getting any crash, but I think I fixed it. Can you tell me if this new version is still crashing?

I updated again:

Changes:
- Fixed Multiplayer issues with Rain Potion, Christmas Spirit, Halloween Spirit.
- Removed Expert Potion Configuration. Made Expert Potion usable and purchasable only in single-player.
- Made Goblin and Pirate Retreat items run smoother (although sometimes they're not consumed, no clue why).
- Bug Fix: The last bug fix for the game not recognizing what biome chest have been obtained while in multiplayer didn't actually fix it. I think it's actually fixed this time.

I'm in pickle when it comes to my mod. The configurations are working fine in single-player, but for some reason some of them aren't working correctly in multiplayer while others are. Players aren't able to exploit the server and use the own configurations, but some configurations aren't being taken from the server runner's json and are getting it directly from the mod's default configurations instead. I'm not an expert programmer, and I don't understand why it's happening. I have them all going through the same processing in my mod's coding.

I can leave it how it is, but I feel like the configuration syncing is messy and not working like it should for multiplayer (I'm starting to see why configurations are rarely used in tmodloader mods). I have an idea (but I'm unsure about it): I could split my mod into 4 separate mods: 1 Fully Configurable Mod and 3 Server Versions (Lightly Boosted, Normally Boosted, and Heavily Boosted content). Any thoughts or other ideas? Should I leave it how it is now?

Hello, just downloaded this mod to try out, and clicking "new" on the character select screen gives me this error:

Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.GetModPlayer(Player player, Type type)
at Terraria.Player.GetModPlayer[T]()
at ReducedGrinding.ReducedGrindingPlayer.SetupStartInventory(IList`1 items) in c:\Users\cntdr\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\ReducedGrinding\ReducedGrindingPlayer.cs:line 3723
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.SetupStartInventory(Player player, Boolean mediumcoreDeath)
at Terraria.Player..ctor(Boolean startupInventory)
at Terraria.GameContent.UI.States.UICharacterSelect.NewCharacterClick(UIMouseEvent evt, UIElement listeningElement)
at Terraria.UI.UIElement.Click(UIMouseEvent evt)
at Terraria.UI.UserInterface.Update(GameTime time)
at Terraria.Main.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Update(GameTime gameTime)

Any idea what's causing this? I tried both 4.45 and 4.47, and also reinstalling Terraria to no avail. Before uninstalling terraria I had several other mods, but upon deleting everything including the files in Documents/My Games, I tried it a second time with no other mods installed and got the same error.

Edit: If I make a character while this mod is disabled, then enable it and play the character, it works fine. Seems new characters can't be made with this mod enabled.

If I can set my mod up to tell whether the game is in multiplayer or not during the configuration loading, I could prevent it from loading configurations during multiplayer; this would prevent any issues that is happening during multiplayer which means I'd only split my mod up into 2-3 versions of item drops boosting rates. If anyone has suggestions to get around the problem I'm having with my mod, please post them here. I think I'll wait a week and then make a poll to see what I should do.

I'm in pickle when it comes to my mod. The configurations are working fine in single-player, but for some reason some of them aren't working correctly in multiplayer while others are. Players aren't able to exploit the server and use the own configurations, but some configurations aren't being taken from the server runner's json and are getting it directly from the mod's default configurations instead. I'm not an expert programmer, and I don't understand why it's happening. I have them all going through the same processing in my mod's coding.

I can leave it how it is, but I feel like the configuration syncing is messy and not working like it should for multiplayer (I'm starting to see why configurations are rarely used in tmodloader mods). I have an idea (but I'm unsure about it): I could split my mod into 4 separate mods: 1 Fully Configurable Mod and 3 Server Versions (Lightly Boosted, Normally Boosted, and Heavily Boosted content). Any thoughts or other ideas? Should I leave it how it is now?

Hello, just downloaded this mod to try out, and clicking "new" on the character select screen gives me this error:

Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.GetModPlayer(Player player, Type type)
at Terraria.Player.GetModPlayer[T]()
at ReducedGrinding.ReducedGrindingPlayer.SetupStartInventory(IList`1 items) in c:\Users\cntdr\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mod Sources\ReducedGrinding\ReducedGrindingPlayer.cs:line 3723
at Terraria.ModLoader.PlayerHooks.SetupStartInventory(Player player, Boolean mediumcoreDeath)
at Terraria.Player..ctor(Boolean startupInventory)
at Terraria.GameContent.UI.States.UICharacterSelect.NewCharacterClick(UIMouseEvent evt, UIElement listeningElement)
at Terraria.UI.UIElement.Click(UIMouseEvent evt)
at Terraria.UI.UserInterface.Update(GameTime time)
at Terraria.Main.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Update(GameTime gameTime)

Any idea what's causing this? I tried both 4.45 and 4.47, and also reinstalling Terraria to no avail. Before uninstalling terraria I had several other mods, but upon deleting everything including the files in Documents/My Games, I tried it a second time with no other mods installed and got the same error.

Edit: If I make a character while this mod is disabled, then enable it and play the character, it works fine. Seems new characters can't be made with this mod enabled.
My mod has the option to add items to starting characters (by default it's 3 mining potions); for some reason it this feature isn't playing nice with some mods. Can you give me a list of the mods you're using? If you make a mod pack then "Open Mods folder" in the mod list menu you can find the Mod Packs folder which should have a list of the mods you're using.

Last edited:
If I can set my mod up to tell whether the game is in multiplayer or not during the configuration loading, I could prevent it from loading configurations during multiplayer; this would prevent any issues that is happening during multiplayer which means I'd only split my mod up into 2-3 versions of item drops boosting rates. If anyone has suggestions to get around the problem I'm having with my mod, please post them here. I think I'll wait a week and then make a poll to see what I should do.

My mod has the option to add items to starting characters (by default it's 3 mining potions); for some reason it this feature isn't playing nice with some mods. Can you give me a list of the mods you're using? If you make a mod pack then "Open Mods folder" in the mod list menu you can find the Mod Packs folder which should have a list of the mods you're using.
As I said, even with only this mod installed (none others even downloaded), that crash still happens. However, the other mods I am using are: Terraria Overhaul, Rewards, Expeditions, Expeditions Content Pack, Leveled, Unleveled, Antiaris, World Gen Preview, Auto Trash, Mod Helpers, Boss Checklist, and this mod.

The amount of mods that are having compatibility problems is bringing me closer to the idea of making multiplayer unaffected by configurations. These compatibility problems appeared after I fixed the problem where server clients would use their own configs for multiplayer. I'm trying to keep this message bumped:

If anyone has suggestions to get around the problem I'm having with my mod, please post them here. I think I'll wait a week and then make a poll to see what I should do.

I can leave it how it is, but I feel like the configuration syncing is messy and not working like it should for multiplayer (I'm starting to see why configurations are rarely used in tmodloader mods). I have an idea (but I'm unsure about it): I could split my mod into 4 separate mods: 1 Fully Configurable Mod and 2-3 Server Versions (Lightly, Normaly, and Heavily Boosted content). Any thoughts or other ideas? Should I leave it how it is now?

As I said, even with only this mod installed (none others even downloaded), that crash still happens. However, the other mods I am using are: Terraria Overhaul, Rewards, Expeditions, Expeditions Content Pack, Leveled, Unleveled, Antiaris, World Gen Preview, Auto Trash, Mod Helpers, Boss Checklist, and this mod.
I updated my mod with these Changes:

To allow compatiblitiy with other mods, starting items for new players are now disabled when using:
- Antiaris
- Auto Trash
- Expeditions
- Leveled
- Rewards
- Terraria Overhaul
- Terraria Overload
- Unleveled
- WorldGenPreviewer
EDIT: Dang, I just understood what you meant. The mod by itself is also crashing. I don't understand it, I had my mod and all the others work when I made a new character when I was fixing it, but just now I was testing it by itself and with other mods and sometimes it'd crash and sometimes it wouldn't. I'm going to work on fixing it.

Last edited:
If anyone has suggestions to get around the problem I'm having with my mod, please post them here. I think I'll wait a week and then make a poll to see what I should do.

I can leave it how it is, but I feel like the configuration syncing is messy and not working like it should for multiplayer (I'm starting to see why configurations are rarely used in tmodloader mods). I have an idea (but I'm unsure about it): I could disable configurations for multiplayer and split my mod into 2-3 separate mods: (Lightly, Normaly, and Heavily Boosted multiplayer content). Any thoughts or other ideas? Should I leave it how it is now?

I updated my mod and disabled the Starting Item feature to prevent crashes. I'll add it back in if I can do so without causing crashes.

Last edited:
which configs are affected by this multiplayer bug?
you say it isnt all, so listing what doesnt work might help with a decision.

which configs are affected by this multiplayer bug?
you say it isnt all, so listing what doesnt work might help with a decision.
Oh yeah, I didn't think of think of that. It seems like it's everything from "AllEnemiesLootBiomeMatchingFoundOnlyChestDrop" downward, but I could be wrong. I guess I'll start testing them out. I've never seen any mod with as much configurations as this one, and I think that's because configuration syncing is hard and messy.

EDIT: I'm unable to test more at the moment, but from the start of the configuration all the way down to "LootTheAxeIncrease" isn't working.

Last edited:
none of that seems too critical to be honest. you could release a separate mod that has just new features like items and NPCs, but anything more is excessive in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom