Other Rename Expert to Standard, Master to Expert, create a new Master Mode

I recently played a 1.2.4.1 playthrough for nostalgia sake, and I can say without a doubt that it is harder than 1.4.3.6 Expert Mode. 1.2.3- is probably even harder because there's no fishing, but I haven't tested it. Regardless, due to general powercreep, 1.4 expert mode is much easier than 1.2.4.1.
I think we should keep Classic mode as it is, but expert mode should be renamed to 'standard' as expert really is the standard terraria experience in 1.4.

I recently played a 1.2.4.1 playthrough for nostalgia sake, and I can say without a doubt that it is harder than 1.4.3.6 Expert Mode. 1.2.3- is probably even harder because there's no fishing, but I haven't tested it. Regardless, due to general powercreep, 1.4 expert mode is much easier than 1.2.4.1.
I think we should keep Classic mode as it is, but expert mode should be renamed to 'standard' as expert really is the standard terraria experience in 1.4.
Never played expert or master mode

There is already a "new mastermode" in the For the Worthy/Get Fixed Boi seeds, where everything already scales one difficulity up.

Practically this already exists

To be honest, ever since expert mode was added, I've considered it to be the default difficulty level, if for no other reason than because some of its exclusive drops feel absolutely necessary. Most noteworthy is the shield of Cthulhu's dash ability, which gives the player a huge mobility upgrade. Before that you had to use hooks to accelerate which could be quite finicky, or outright impossible depending on the situation. By the time the master ninja gear becomes available, you're probably ~90% done with that playthrough. The shield solves this by being available much earlier, giving the player some much needed mobility and simple QoL such as getting around one's home faster. The crystal assassin armor set also gives a dash, but it's available much later and is likely to be replaced not that long after being obtained. It was also added later than the shield.
That said, my solution would be to just make the more vital items available in normal mode. I think normal mode is a good starting point for new players, exclusive items aside, because expert mode has some difficulty spikes that those that are learning the ropes probably shouldn't be subjected to right away.
Never played expert or master mode
I think that explains why you keep asking for changes that would make the game harder. Why not try at least expert mode first?

Would Mastermode's name be changed in this case? I'm not so sure about standard as a replacement for expert though, but I like the concept

I thought you had made several suggestions to make the game harder. Maybe I confused you with another user. If so, my apologies.
I only propose things that make the game better. So if there is something that does not make sense, it should be fixed, even if that would make it harder/unable to cheese bosses which I am aware that ofc people won't like.

Back
Top Bottom