Items Rework Golden Delight

J Bame

Terrarian
1693007719853.png
Grants the Exquisitely Stuffed buff for 48 minutes.

The idea for this item is as simple as it gets. Super rare but super powerful; Except for one thing: It's almost never worth it.

There is a thing known as "too good to use syndrome". This is for items that have a powerful effect, but are very limited and hard to obtain, therefore you only end up using it on super tough bosses or sections because you are afraid of a powerful resource going to waste.

48 minutes of Exquisitely Stuffed fails to be a Powerful but Rare effect. Boss fights rarely go over two minutes, let alone forty-eight. So saving this for bosses is a waste, especially because there are other food items give the exact same buff, with a more balanced rarity-to-duration ratio.

Therefore you are better off saving this for a tough area; like the Dungeon or the Pillars. What's the problem there? That Terraria mobbing is hard. People die a lot in Terraria. You saved the Golden Delight for the tought area to be covered for 48 whole minutes, just to die in 5-10 minutes and waste 75% of the item.

What if you are good at the game and can stay alive for 48 minutes without dying? In that case, you would've been just fine without this item. Compared to a T2 buff you only get +1 defense, +1% crit chance and +2.5% damage. This is the main point: It's not strong enough to justify it rarity, and its niche of lasting for a long time just leads to the item getting wasted before even half of its duration expires.

So, how do you make Golden Delight a powerful and satisfying rare item without introducing much powercreep if any? I have 3 ideas:

1693007719853.png
Grants the Exquisitely Stuffed buff for 12 minutes. Recipe makes 4.
Splits the item in 4 consumables. If you died before it could wear off you lose up to 12 minutes instead of 48, and it gives you 4 guaranteed T3 foods for any boss or event. Boring solution but practical.

1693007719853.png
Grants a special version of Exquisitely Stuffed for 48 minutes. Persists after death.
Now it won't get wasted. You can even make this Tier 4 food buff that is twice as good as Plenty Satisfied if you are okay with a little powercreep.

1693007719853.png
Grants Exquisitely Stuffed and several buffs for 12 minutes. Buffs are: Ironskin, Regeneration, Swiftness, Endurance, Rage, Wrath, and Lifeforce.
My personal favorite of the three. This turns Golden Delight into a very significant powerup for a more balanced duration, without actually raising the power ceiling since all these buffs are given by potions. Though it's debatable if Lifeforce in prehardmode is acceptable, even if limited by such a rare item.

Last edited:
Having the recipe craft 4 smaller dishes is a WAYYY better implementation than it being PERMANENT, you know, as I explained if your post?

As an adamant hater of fishing, I very much like the last one. Those potions aren't difficult to get but fishing is so boring that I rarely bother with them. Having Golden Delight give those effects would make me quite happy, as I usually cook any extra golden critters I get after I put the first one on display.

Back
Top Bottom