Other Screen resolution should not change view distance.

Etotheipi

Retinazer
Currently, you can see a longer or shorter distance away depending on your resolution. This gives players with higher resolution monitors an advantage, which isn't really fair. I'm assuming the view changes are there to make sure the player isn't an ant on smaller screens, but the player should at least be able to choose to zoom past the default zoom to what other players might get from having a better monitor. The zoom limit could then be moved to a constant block value across all screen sizes, while the default could remain as is, and depend on resolution.

Agreed, although I assume the reason they still haven't implemented this feature yet is because of technical limitations? But at the same time they still added that zoom feature, I really thought it'd be added in one of the QoL updates by now.

Agreed, although I assume the reason they still haven't implemented this feature yet is because of technical limitations? But at the same time they still added that zoom feature, I really thought it'd be added in one of the QoL updates by now.
Maybe, I don't quite see how it could be very hard, but things do tend to be harder than they seem in programming.

Actually, the resolution is justified because if you do have a higher resolution, more enemies will be able to spawn.
That still doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to zoom out further depending on screen size. Plus, more enemies spawning is an advantage at most stages of the game for farming purposes.

It's still a disadvantage to have more enemies spawn during boss battles.
The disadvantage would be heavily outweighed by the advantage of being able to see further away. Plus, if this change were added you could just zoom in a bit if you prefer, I, and many others, would definitely prefer being able to see more than have the mild inconvenience of +2 mob spawns.

You'll think differently when you fight the WoF or Plantera, considering where you have to battle them at. The dumps of enemy spawns.

Oh, and Golem, in fact, Golem could possibly be the worst.
Eh, I find when I fight him that he's generally out of view except when he jump's, since I fight on a platform on the ceiling of the room, I'd definitely zoom out for him if I were able.

How does a larger resolution give more mob spawns? It only moves the mobs away from your character, and even if it did have more enemy spawns, the benefits of a larger field of view would outweigh the "cons". And if it's justified having a lower field of view, then why don't 1080p screens have a lower field of view? Because it impacts the visual quality of the game and makes it less enjoyable.

IIRC it's the way it is because of a technical issue and the engine can't handle downscaling pixels.
Oh darn it. I wouldn't mind much if tModLoader were 1.4, cause then it'd be pretty easy to find a mod, but it could take a long time before it gets updated and it would be nice to have in vanilla.

Last edited:
If anyone's interested, there's a mod for tmodloader called Better Zoom, that allows for zooming out way more than vanilla. However, it will only load enemies and projectiles. It will not load terrain or blocks. The developed said it is not a bug, so I assume it's a limitation of some sort. I think it's still worth checking out.

tModLoader - Better Zoom

If anyone's interested, there's a mod for tmodloader called Better Zoom, that allows for zooming out way more than vanilla. However, it will only load enemies and projectiles. It will not load terrain or blocks. The developed said it is not a bug, so I assume it's a limitation of some sort. I think it's still worth checking out.

tModLoader - Better Zoom
Nice! Do you know when tmodloader will be updated to 1.4? I would be perfectly fine using a mod except my current worlds are 1.4 and so wouldn't be compatible.

Back
Top Bottom