tModLoader Simple Levels

hugojmaia

Terrarian
This mod gives you a barebones leveling system that's aimed at making the game easier.

You start at level 0 and that's equal in power to vanilla, you only grow from there.

To view your current level and some other info use the keybind.
Latest version has had its caps mostly removed, you are your own master.
Run with somewhat balanced defaults, explode the world, or make it barely feel that it's there.

I've made the mod open source on github: Simple Levels
Changelog

Compatibility Note:
The damage boost isn't visible on the tooltip, but it is done in a way that should be compatible with w/e new damage type a mod comes up with.
Tested with Thorium and it correctly boosted radiant, symphonic and true damages.

Feedback is appreciated and I try to fix issues as soon as I'm aware of them.

Last edited:
Really nice mod. Really good for people who just need a slight buff in playing Terraria but don't need a lot of features--been looking for this for a while...

Last edited:
I'm liking the mod so far, but I came across a possible issue. I was fighting Skeletron and after defeating him I went from around level 60 up to 13549! So I had a 67745% damage bonus, 135490 health and 99% damage reduction. It was kind of cool, but obviously not what was supposed to happen. I was playing on an expert world and have other mods installed which may have contributed to that bug.

Also it would be nice to have a config file or some way to adjust the growth rate of leveling. With a mod like Prefixes for Enemies installed I end up leveling a lot faster than I do with only your mod installed.

Oh dear, I see what went wrong. And I feel stupid for not seeing it earlier.
What happened is: you levelled up as if every level took the same xp as it would take to go to level 61.
Fixes pushed on this update, new command added so you can easily fix your level on your end and I increased the level up requirement so you shouldn't blaze through levels as fast now.
Doing configs is a bit tricky atm, some new tml features are right around the corner to make that easier. And I don't want to implement command based configs as those are really clunky and risk wiping the mod's saved data for everyone.

Is there a way to be able to edit how much of a bonus each level grants the player?
Currently only by editing the source code on SimplePlayer.cs.
I plan to make every aspect of the mod configurable. I'm just waiting for a proper tutorial on creating those config files.

hey can you make option to auto reset lvl to 0 each time new boss is defeated ?
I wrote this one down as "Level goes back to zero after each boss is defeated for the first time."
No promises for when I can deliver it.

Thanks for the bug fix. The level up rate feels like it's at a good pace now.

So while playing I thought: leveling up helps with the damage you deal, and the damage you get dealt, but what about player movement? Like an increase to movement speed or perhaps jump height?

Thanks for the bug fix. The level up rate feels like it's at a good pace now.

So while playing I thought: leveling up helps with the damage you deal, and the damage you get dealt, but what about player movement? Like an increase to movement speed or perhaps jump height?
That kind of buff crossed my mind, along with tools. I just haven't figured out on how to do it. The code part is easy enough to get done in 2 or 3 hours, but how the final result looks like is why I'd like feedback.
Having it kick in at set levels is one way and having it slowly scale up with level is another. And just how much it should boost is another point.

I've been doing some research on movement speed with in-game testing. I used the Stopwatch to measure my speed and here's what I've found:

Running on normal blocks:
15 mph - base speed
24 mph - max speed (movement speed >= 55%)
30 mph - max speed using Hermes or Spectre Boots (movement speed >= 0%)
34 mph - max speed using Lightning or Frostspark Boots (movement speed >= 0%)

Running on asphalt blocks:
53 mph - base speed
85 mph - max speed (movement speed >= 59%)
Boots don't raise the max speed on asphalt. Though Lightning and Frostspark boots can contribute their 8% movement speed bonus to reach the max of 59%.

My conclusion is that movement speed bonuses are most useful before obtaining any of the speed boots. After which it isn't useful unless you are running on asphalt. Since late game movement progression is based off getting better wings, I suggest a hybrid approach to movement and leveling. Early levels would add a movement speed bonus while later levels would increase wing effectiveness. I think increasing wing flight time (like the rocket boots do when used with wings) would be more balanced than increasing wing height or wing speed.

levels 1-50 : Plus 1% movement speed per level
levels 51+ : Plus 0.1 wing flight time per level (in seconds)

Helpful pages from the wiki I used:
https://terraria.wiki.gg/Player_stats#Horizontal_movement
https://terraria.wiki.gg/Wings#Types

I ran some testing, it'll now boost the player's movement speed, should apply a 50% boost on top of everything else you have equipped at level 50.
Added a boost to the player's acceleration to make the movement feel snappier.
And added the boost to wing time.

Update is live.

I appreciate the update. I like that with the movement speed bonus you don't have to rely on finding some boots in order to progress. I did notice that the "/simple" command listed the wing time but "/simplesetlevel" was missing that info. Not really necessary but it confused me at first when the wing time wasn't displayed.

While playing with your mod I've felt like there could be an adjustment with the health bonus. With the amount of health that's gained per level I feel it devalues finding Life Crystals. And having 1000 health at level 60 (including max Life Crystals) seems too early.

So I'm thinking lowering the health gained per level from 10 to 5 should be about right. So using Life Crystals would be equivalent to gaining 4 levels and you wouldn't reach 1000 health until level 120.

Along with that change I think there should be a boost to health regeneration. Every 10 levels would make things interesting and give an incentive to reaching those milestone levels. Based off the Band of Regeneration adding 0.5 regeneration per second (https://terraria.wiki.gg/Health), I'm thinking 0.1 per second every 10 levels would work. That would be like having a built in Band of Regeneration at level 50. And at level 100 like standing in honey.

I've changed the code around so that now life hearts and life fruits are relevant again. Rather than doing a fixed amount per level, it increases based on what your max health is at level 0. Giving 5 hp per level once you max out on life fruits.
Fun fact, lowest increment possible for life regen is 0.5 hp per second. Because of that, the extra regen only kicks in every 50 levels.

Update is live.

Thank you. This health boost feels really good now.

While testing the update I was changing levels with "simplesetlevel" and at some point I noticed the wing time was off. It showed 10's to 100's of seconds displayed, but the actual flight time wasn't that long.

This looks great, I've been trying to find a good replacement for Kalciphoz's RPG mod because it had too many bugs, I'm not hoping this to have as many features as his has, but I would appreciate some type of simple UI so I don't need commands to check level for example. (I haven't used it yet, I'm going to use it now and come back.)

I forgot to divide the time shown at the wing time by 60. It still boosted the same way.
As for the UI, I just haven't looked into it yet.

Well I went for a full play through with Calamity, must say, you do feel powerful, damage was fair enough but if I'm correct you get % damage reduction? And I had 80's, if I'm not wrong the numbers should be toned down a bit, I could literally sit down with 1.4k HP and just spam attack, taking 1 hp hits every 3 seconds or so (Not supreme calamitas, since you know, he has that trick).

This happens because the damage reduction occurs before the armor kicks in. I'll see about flipping that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom