Game Mechanics Slime Staff can now be Crafted.

Should this be creatable?

• Total voters

WyattRodebaugh

Official Terrarian
As you guys all know, the slime staff is one of the rarest, if not, the rarest item in the game. And its a pre-hardmode summoner item, with only doing around 7 damage. I don't think anybody likes how it is extremely rare, so how about make it creatable?

The recipe for the Slime Staff is
20 gel & 6 wood at the Solidifier.
The damage for the Slime Staff is 3-4 dph. (Damage per hit) Critically, around 5-6 dph.
Well what do you think about the update for the Slime Staff? Do you agree or disagree? Do you have a problem with this or want an addition? Comment or pick a response!

Last edited:
I'd probably get this in one night, and it'd make the start of the game rather easy, allowing players to go almost anywhere they please right from the bat.

I think it's a better idea to have the slime king drop this (perhaps with slightly increased stats) or add something slightly harder to find to the recipe.

I'd probably get this in one night, and it'd make the start of the game rather easy, allowing players to go almost anywhere they please right from the bat.

I think it's a better idea to have the slime king drop this (perhaps with slightly increased stats) or add something slightly harder to find to the recipe.
fine.. But that would mean the entire concept of this thread would be changed!

If you could get this first night then, what should be added that would make it harder to get?
Since it's a green slime (and thus possibly a jungle slime), how about something from the jungle? Like a jungle grass seed or whatnot.

But I'm sure your imagination can come up with ideas yourself. :)

Since it's a green slime (and thus possibly a jungle slime), how about something from the jungle? Like a jungle grass seed or whatnot.

But I'm sure your imagination can come up with ideas yourself. :)
I use to be able to come up with ideas..

Having even a simple crafting recipe for a rare item destroys the value, rarity and novelty of that item.
The ability to craft a Slime Staff and make it obtainable does not diminish the raw humor that comes from getting three Slime Staff drops while farming Gel for your flamethrower. Similarly, the only value this item has is as a collectable, so making it more obtainable is only a good thing.

Furthermore, all Terraria items in general have zero base value because of freely-available inventory editors and the potential to AFK farm. Making an item more available through means such as this is helpful towards the player since then there's less incentive to use methods such as those to obtain some small thing for their collection.

They are adding some new Summoner weapons that will hopefully fill the early-game where the Slime Staff is currently the only Summoning weapon.

Having even a simple crafting recipe for a rare item destroys the value, rarity and novelty of that item.
It really doesn't matter for something weak. Imagine obtaining this in hardmode while you already got better summoning items! Also by the time you defeat king slime, you already have good weapons that do like around 10, 20 damage! Nobody would want a slime staff right when they get better stuff! Heck, its already hard enough using slime statues to get it!

You need to change the recipe because it would be unfair to people that try to get this item out of a slime because it is a very rare item.

You need to change the recipe because it would be unfair to people that try to get this item out of a slime because it is a very rare item.
personally, I don't think it needs anything else. The solidifier already requires the player to defeat king slime. Consider it a summon weapon from king slime. What do you think about it being crafted from the solidifier?

I'm fine with this as long as you buff he damage to like 15.
Seems a little too OP, especially how the slime hops around dealing a lot of dps to ground enemies. Even the item states that the slime hops around so much that enemies would have to kinda dodge some of the attacks. Also, even a hornet staff does less damage!
In Pokémon, you have these things called "Shiny Pokémon", you might know about them, they have a 1/4096 chance of appearing every time you encounter a pokemon.
Yeah but that's different. You fight more Pokémon than you do king slime. Also I bet it would be easier finding a shiny pokemon because of how many battles happen just by coming face to face with a random person than it is using 3 powered slime statue farms or just farming slime.

The solution, which seems to be what they're doing, is to make there be at least one (maybe more) early-game Summons that replace the Slime Staff as the Summoner's starter weapon. Then the Slime Staff can stay as it should be, a rare collector's thing.

Inventory editors are a form of cheating and thus do not count at all.
Unfortunately, the sad truth is that all items have zero value in a game where your inventories are client-sided. They very much so are cheating, but they ultimately exist and must always be considered.

Not really sure what the relevance of this is, since I never made that point.
The relevance of an incredibly rare item's humor value from it dropping is always relevant when the drop rate is 1/10k but it has an obtainable crafting alternative. Kind of like Rod of Discord, but more stupid.

In Pokémon, you have these things called "Shiny Pokémon", you might know about them, they have a 1/4096 chance of appearing every time you encounter a pokemon.
Many people treat these pokemon as collectables, they're called Shiny hunters. And the sheer enjoyment of grinding for them and the value of them comes from the fact that they are extremely rare. If they were more common it wouldn't be a good thing, it destroys the grind and enjoyment when you finally earn that item.
Yeah, and they used to be 1/8192, so that's also a bad example - shiny Pokemon have only been made more and more obtainable as time passes because allowing people to obtain things they want keeps them engaged in the grind. Here's how shinies evolved in Pokemon!

GSC, FR, LG, RSE - Flat 1/8192 across the board.
GSC shinies were pure collectables due to low stats, and it always spit out a shiny Gyarados anyway just so you knew they existed.
People cracked Emerald's RNG in order to bypass this for competitively viable shinies. Thus, shinies had no value outside of random encounters.

DPPT, BW/2 - The Masuda Method. Breeding Pokemon obtained in different global regions (such as a JP Pokemon with a NA Pokemon) increased the rate of a shiny appearing by adding extra rolls on shininess.

- In DPPT this effectively increased shiny rate to 1/1,638.4
- In BW/2 the rate was 1/1,365.3.
- In XY/SM fter the shiny rate was doubled, the chance of getting a shiny like this is a mere 1/682.7.

XY Friend Safari Pokemon have a 1/819.2 chance to be shiny at base.

Chain fishing in XY was capable of pushing the shiny rate to an utterly staggering 1/100, making it among the easiest games to ever obtain a shiny in.

Lastly, BW/2 introduced the Shiny Charm, which increases the chances of encountering a shiny. It adds another two rolls for shininess, bumping the wild shiny encounter rate to 1/4096 in BW/2 and 1/2048 in XY/SM. This applies to the Masuda Method as well, bringing the XY/SM shiny rate down to 1/512 if you have the shiny charm.

DexNav chaining in XY was capable of producing a shiny rate upwards of 1/241, but that required a very high chain to do.

In conclusion, and moving on to the last part of your post to cap this off...

So if anything, if the slime staff is ONLY treated as a collectable by the vast majority of players, then it only makes sense to make it MORE rare, though that's unnecessary with a 1 in 10k chance already.

Shiny Pokemon are valuable for two reasons:

- As a random encounter, they're funny
- As something you farm for with proper stats via breeding, a vast amount of the RNG on forcing natures/IVs was removed and you're mostly just rolling against a rough 1/700 chance compared to the base 1/8192 that we used to have when it was realized that people like obtaining shiny Pokemon.

Slime Staff should be a craftable item. If you want to retain its rarity, don't let it be craftable without Luminite or some other absurd ingredients. The simple fact is that if I'm playing some kind of collection run where I collect every weapon that does minion damage, I shouldn't have to have a Slime grinder going while i'm asleep to have a reasonable chance of finishing my collection.

No... That's like saying all bosses are easy because anybody can hack godmode in.

There is literally 0 point in having a 1 in 10k drop chance if you can just craft the item anyway. Enough said.
The only time it's not unnecessary is when the item is a rare crafting material that is also difficult to craft (<--for example), that way players can choose to craft or grind for it and it's balanced.

It's not a bad example AT ALL, because even if the odds were 1/2000, my point would still be very much valid.
The value of shiny pokemon are relative to their encounter rates. And many people consider things like the shiny charm etc. to be unfair, many people go full odds. In fact, most players I've seen who shiny hunt go full odds. But even those who don't, the games RARELY hand out shinies (exceptions are the Red Gyarados and Events).
So even if you lower your shiny odds to 1/200, it's still going to take you a while, not just simply crafting the item and having it handed to you.
So again, for all the odds you mentioned above, whether it's full traditional odds, or the easiest fishing method, the value is always relative to the Pokémon and the player.
What I mean by that is, the value we're talking about is personal, like the value of beating the moon lord, if you cheat and beat him illegitimately, there is no value, if you give yourself unlimited items in terraria, you lose the sense of achievement from the tasks you complete. The same goes for what I've just been talking about, if you're someone who ALWAYS goes for highest odds, then you're not going to appreciate shiny pokemon as much as someone who spends potentially MONTHS grinding for a shiny. Because let's face it, 1/100 chance is absolutely feasible in one night, 1 in 8k can take months since obviously it can easily go above 8k REs.
Can I also point out that yes, Pokémon has ways of making the grind easier, such as the Breeding etc. ... But so does Terraria, you can sit around kill slimes that spawn, or you can use a slime banner to make it faster, or wait for slime rain, then beat the slime rain and kill the king slime, or just make loads of king slime spawns. Killing King slimes is like the Masuda Method of Terraria.
So anyway, the value of grinding for a slime staff is EXACTLY the same as grinding for a shiny.
The slime staff is an impractical summoner's weapon that you might be lucky enough to get very early game to help boost early game, past that it's merely a collectable. The joy of having collectables is to have to work for them, so unless the recipe was EQUALLY as difficult, the slime still will totally lose it's value alongside it's need to even have such an absurd drop chance, because then who would even grind for it? When you can just craft it?
You seem to have troubles understanding the value of items in video games and how working for them is literally what makes them valuable.
It works the exact same in real life, if somehow we could smash atoms together so fast that we can create 10 grams of gold every hour, the price and value of gold would plummet. I hope these examples are enough for you to understand why adding a recipe is TOTALLY unnecessary and if the purpose is as a collectable as you said yourself, then a recipe defeats the purpose of it's existence as a collectable.

1. That's your opinion, everybody has their own reasons for seeing value in shiny pokémon.
2. No comment.

The Slime staff should not be craftable. The rarity is what makes it valuable. If you're collecting the item then when you finally find it, it will pay off, you'll feel like you've achieved something, rather than having it handed to you on a silver platter, which I think Re-Logic are aware of, which is why rare items exist at all, in my opinion.
You're ignoring the fact that it has more than collecting value. It's an early game powerful summon weapon.

You're ignoring the fact that it has more than collecting value. It's an early game powerful summon weapon.
But the rarity of this item is so rare that you might just obtain it in hardmode and not at all early game. Besides, you will already have better summoning items once you obtain a slime staff. The rarity for the slime staff is possibly... pointless. It would rather be a good idea for the item be creatable.

Like I said, it's not practical to farm for a slime staff since it's almost instantly outclassed by other items. It only serves as a collectable.
But where is the value of that collectable if it's just handed out to you?
Why would the creators of Terraria decide to make an item and use it just as a collectable? Its pointless to own a collectable without possibly using it!

Trophies are actively used to decorate your buildings.

Developer armors are functional cosmetics at worst.

Platinum ring is a collectable that, unlike Slime Staff, is actually reasonably obtainable.

Slime Staff's rarity is based off of how often and quickly you can kill simes. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it may be best that we agree to disagree and move on; it's clear neither side is really capable of convincing the other side in this case. We all seem to be firmly rooted in our beliefs.

For all we know, this subject may very well be pointless as Journey's End could have made the Slime Staff more available.

Back
Top Bottom