Game Mechanics Something to do on the death screen.

Blastthemast

Steampunker
There's nothing I hate more about Terraria than having to sit on the death screen for a solid 30 seconds after loosing to a boss fight.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Terraria, but the whole point of a video game is to entertain those with a short attention span, and sitting there staring at an unmoving screen for 30 seconds isn't all that entertaining. Now I realize it's really not all that much of an issue and REALLY doesn't need to change, but perhaps if there was something super simple to do while on the death screen I be a bit more satisfied, like being able to move the sun and moon around on the title screen.

A little particle effect that all players could see and follows the mouse might be neat.

Ibb & Obb makes a good demonstration of this ability, and although it is designed for communication purposes in puzzle solving, it is still fun nonetheless...

48e81437bc2045d2d0c153493b3acdc6.gif

( There are too particle effects because I was controlling both characters on a single mouse and keyboard. )

Now imagine having the ability to do this on the death screen and all players could see it. (And also imagine it as a different particle effect. Not something so bubbly and weird.) It's nothing too extreme, and it provides that tiny bit of entertainment you need whilst on the death screen. Now of course you would have the ability to turn down the opacity of your own and other players trails, meaning it getting in the way wouldn't be too much of an issue, and it would be the same colour as the players cursor.

This is only one of many other things that could be implemented onto the death screen, so if you have any ideas as to what could cure the boring death screen, lemme know^^ :merchantgrin:

30 seconds is REALLY long, I have never experienced something as long as that before.

So far as I know, staying dead is longer during bossfights, expert mode and multiplayer.

Though, in my opinion, I think it's better to modify it this way:
- Let you respawn immidately after a boss has left the area.
- Let you 'death spectate' an other player while waiting to respawn.

Because it'll either be the boss/event is alive and the other players remain alive that stops you from respawninig.
If it's outside that criteria, then I don't see the reason to wait for such a long time to respawn.

30 seconds is REALLY long, I have never experienced something as long as that before.

So far as I know, staying dead is longer during bossfights, expert mode and multiplayer.

Though, in my opinion, I think it's better to modify it this way:
- Let you respawn immidately after a boss has left the area.
- Let you 'death spectate' an other player while waiting to respawn.

Because it'll either be the boss/event is alive and the other players remain alive that stops you from respawninig.
If it's outside that criteria, then I don't see the reason to wait for such a long time to respawn.

That would definitely make a lot more sense. A traditional spectate mode would be a lot less boring and easy to implement as well. Another neat option would be the ability to become a ghost on death, allowing you to still move around fly after death, all while being incapable of interacting with various items and enemies.^^

Another neat option would be the ability to become a ghost on death, allowing you to still move around fly after death, all while being incapable of interacting with various items and enemies.^^
That's actually already a feature, except that you get this only if you're playing hardcore (pernament death).

That's actually already a feature, except that you get this only if you're playing hardcore (pernament death).
Haha, I just went to go check that myself and laughed. That's actually fantastic that it's already a thing. If they were to add that as a single player death feature and the spectator thing as a multiplayer feature I would be a lot more satisfied. Although I feel like the ghost thing should happen IMMEDIATELY upon death, opposed to having the "You were slain" message appear and waiting to turn into a ghost.

I'm pretty sure you're only dead for 10 seconds? Betsy got me a few times in expert mode and I don't recall me waiting for a half minute to get back up on my feet.
Am I going senile?

So here I am, grabbing the phone to call my local old folks home to reserve a spot. I dial, get halfway through the number and hung up, thinking: Waaait a minute...
I start up Terraria, go to an Expert mode map, tell Golem the whole story and he tells me he has absolutely no problem stomping on my head to get to the bottom of this.
He stomps on my head and I die. Lo and behold, I was dead for 12 seconds.

So:
1) I have no idea where Blastthemast gets this 30 seconds from.
2) No cookie for you, mister Shear_Epicness!

So here I am, grabbing the phone to call my local old folks home to reserve a spot. I dial, get halfway through the number and hung up, thinking: Waaait a minute...
I start up Terraria, go to an Expert mode map, tell Golem the whole story and he tells me he has absolutely no problem stomping on my head to get to the bottom of this.

So:
Really? They must have changed it since 1.3.1, when I timed it and it was 30 secs on expert bossfights. The more you know!

P.S.
what If I don't want a cookie? I want a CUPCAKE!

I'm pretty sure you're only dead for 10 seconds? Betsy got me a few times in expert mode and I don't recall me waiting for a half minute to get back up on my feet.
Am I going senile?

So:

Although I think it was 30 seconds at one point and time (perhaps a patched glitch), I was just being over dramatic. I think it's pretty damn funny that you guys are taking that seriously though xD

Why wouldn't I take this suggestion seriously?
There's nothing I hate more about Terraria than having to sit on the death screen for a solid 30 seconds after loosing to a boss fight.
and sitting there staring at an unmoving screen for 30 seconds
So basically you're trying to sell a debunkt fact here, telling people 30 seconds is too long to wait for a respawn. Meanwhile it has become apparent that you can't sit still for 10-12 seconds because you have ADHD or are sitting on a pile of thumbtacks.
Or you just made a joke suggestion, which wouldn't be allowed. So...
"
23c.gif
"
Yup, hilarious. I am truly entertained. The cries of laughter echoing in my room have been heard by people in a radius of 51.4 miles and today will go down in history as the day solid brick walls cracked and were brought down by the vibrations of this average human's vocal cords.

No cookie/cupcake/soup for you either.

Instead, why don't you take a picture of every death you get? Maybe it could take up some time.

Why wouldn't I take this suggestion seriously?

So basically you're trying to sell a debunkt fact here, telling people 30 seconds is too long to wait for a respawn. Meanwhile it has become apparent that you can't sit still for 10-12 seconds because you have ADHD or are sitting on a pile of thumbtacks.
Or you just made a joke suggestion, which wouldn't be allowed. So...
"
23c.gif
"
Yup, hilarious. I am truly entertained. The cries of laughter echoing in my room have been heard by people in a radius of 51.4 miles and today will go down in history as the day solid brick walls cracked and were brought down by the vibrations of this average human's vocal cords.

No cookie/cupcake/soup for you either.
When you said ADHD can't sit still, I know it is the truth but that is extremely offensive to us...
Plz, just no, no...

Instead, why don't you take a picture of every death you get? Maybe it could take up some time.

When you said ADHD can't sit still, I know it is the truth but that is extremely offensive to us...
Plz, just no, no...
I hope you're kidding/being sarcastic. I know it's all the rage to get offended by everything these days, even when it's not offensive to begin with, so I'm not following that trend.

Back
Top Bottom