Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Making Rain More Interesting

I wonder if you could make it so that the cute little cloud would rain different colors depending on the biome it's in (red for crimson/blood moons, yellow for desert, purple for corruption).

Anyways, I would support this if it were just the cloud and nothing else. It's tied with the baby eater for "cutest pet" award.

@Corenality I made the Jester Banner for you!View attachment 26509
EDIT: oh, you already have one... *cries*
I'll still put it up for you :).
I love it. One thing however: when it rains in the desert (which barely happens) it pours like absolute hell. So maybe rain should happen less commonly in the desert?

• "Rain will be noticeably less dense in the desert and slightly more dense in the jungle."
Already mentioned it. It was one of the first things that felt off when I was making this suggestion.
I kind of like the rain as it is, just a little event, just a little rain. But these ideas are also pretty cool!
Most of the changes are pretty subtle. In pre-hardmode the only noticeable change is probably the new zombie variants. Even most of the new hardmode enemies are spread out across several biomes so you probably won't come across more than one or two at a time. And of course if you want to listen to the sound of rain, you could always stick by your house where you'd be perfectly safe.

I'll still put it up for you :).

• "Rain will be noticeably less dense in the desert and slightly more dense in the jungle."
Already mentioned it. It was one of the first things that felt off when I was making this suggestion.

Most of the changes are pretty subtle. In pre-hardmode the only noticeable change is probably the new zombie variants. Even most of the new hardmode enemies are spread out across several biomes so you probably won't come across more than one or two at a time. And of course if you want to listen to the sound of rain, you could always stick by your house where you'd be perfectly safe.
It actually rains very hard in the desert. Super hard. But it just happens so rarely that people assume it never rains there (some deserts haven't had rain for 500 years).

Why isn't this in the game yet!?!
Anyways, I love the jester outfit, I would probably make a new character named Cicero, just to wear that outfit without making the unroyal Wyverntamer bend his knees for others.

Okay, I can roll with this.
Can we make rain a bit rarer then? Cause rain is really common nowadays.

I like almost everything in this thread. There are only two exceptions.

First, is that I would like the Jester painting more if it weren't only available during the event. I don't know about you, but I find that, once I hit hardmode, the only reasonable response to a Blood Moon is running as far from my NPCs as possible before they get slaughtered. So, for the sake of those like me, and also consistency, I'd like it if the painting were just unlocked for purchase when you kill a Jester, similar to how the clown vanity is sold after defeating your first Clown.

The other concern is the Frozen Nimbus...just, generally. Maybe it's just that my armour is bad, but even with a strong ranged melee weapon, the regular Nimbus enemies give me trouble, so a stronger one has me really worried. Add to that the fact it can slow you, and that it moves faster, and I'm worried that it would be incredibly difficult to get out from under it. Also, there's the fact you're pegging the slow chance at 30%. If their attack speed is anything like their rainy counterparts, that's as good as 100%.

EDIT SECTION
---------------

Make it rarer, but give it a summoning item.
Pile of cash to make it rain?

I'm actually cool with this. Maybe a "rain stick", that can be crafted with jungle materials early on, and is later sold by the witch doctor (who needs more stuff for his shop)? Adding to this, there could maybe be a recipe to enhance the rain stick at an imbuing station...leading to my second idea.

What if, in Hardmode, you started getting rare special rain events? Basically, a heavier "Hurricane/Ice Storm" event, where certain harder enemies spawn, and there are added weather effects, like making every surface slippery. Or there might be one similar to the "Acid Rain" suggestion, or other kinds of special storms that don't happen often, but carry other special conditions. The empowered rain stick(s) would be able to summon these storms, making it possible to farm the enemies that spawn in them.

Last edited:
This would actually be a very cool addition to the game and i think this is one of the few suggestions on the forums the devs should actually acknowledge and should at least consider adding it :3
+ Those sprites are freaking amazing

OMG! I need that Rain Cloud Pet. It can only be described as:
walter_white_is_kawaii_by_bdenpirateplz-d6qqk9r.png

I really like the Diving Suit! I always found it kinda sad how crabs and squid attack you, and sharks especially, since they're usually just curious in reality.

I like almost everything in this thread. There are only two exceptions.

First, is that I would like the Jester painting more if it weren't only available during the event. I don't know about you, but I find that, once I hit hardmode, the only reasonable response to a Blood Moon is running as far from my NPCs as possible before they get slaughtered. So, for the sake of those like me, and also consistency, I'd like it if the painting were just unlocked for purchase when you kill a Jester, similar to how the clown vanity is sold after defeating your first Clown.
That's a valid point. However, it's not unheard of for NPC's to sell certain items during a Blood Moon (silver bullets from Arms Dealer, Vile powder from Dryad, etc.). And unlike many of those blood moon -only items, The Jester painting doesn't have much value outside of decorating or collecting. It'll just take a bit more luck getting it.

The other concern is the Frozen Nimbus...just, generally. Maybe it's just that my armour is bad, but even with a strong ranged melee weapon, the regular Nimbus enemies give me trouble, so a stronger one has me really worried. Add to that the fact it can slow you, and that it moves faster, and I'm worried that it would be incredibly difficult to get out from under it. Also, there's the fact you're pegging the slow chance at 30%. If their attack speed is anything like their rainy counterparts, that's as good as 100%.
Now that I can get behind. I guess to offset the fact that it can track you indefinitely while chilled, is for it to be slightly slower than the normal Nimbus. That way, he's less dangerous up until you actually get under him.

That's a valid point. However, it's not unheard of for NPC's to sell certain items during a Blood Moon (silver bullets from Arms Dealer, Vile powder from Dryad, etc.). And unlike many of those blood moon -only items, The Jester painting doesn't have much value outside of decorating or collecting. It'll just take a bit more luck getting it.

That's a fair point. However, might I offer a counterpoint? The clown set also has no value outside of aesthetics, and is simply unlocked. Both the Silver Bullets and Vile Powder are things that have alternate means of obtaining, and indeed can be crafted. Also, most other items that are restricted in such a way are ones that do have mechanical usefulness. I think the fact that a rain-bloodmoon combination is a somewhat rare event should be taken into account. I mean, I suppose that it's not that big a deal, and there is already a bloodmoon restricted painting. So, if it is also available pre-hardmode, as it sounds like it's meant to be, then I can live with that, but I did want to at least make one more effort at making my case.

I feel that since the Jester is so rare it should be buffed a bit and become a bit of a mini-boss. Also, what if it could juggle and throw back any thrown item (dropped item and things like shurikens, throwing knives, I wonder if anyone gets this reference)
Sounds like that cheap cash-in, Plants vs. Zombies 2. The only game I've ever played that intentionally makes its levels SO HARD that you're practically forced to spend money on it.

Back
Top Bottom