Biomes & Nature [Sprites] Making Rain More Interesting

New update!

Rain Spirit
280i71z.png

Damage: 50 (Projectile), 70 (Contact)
Health: 200
Defense: 6
Drops: Rain Spirit Banner (0.5%)
Description: They are similar to Wraiths, but can "swim" through both blocks and air. Unlike Wraiths, they can spawn at any time of day as long as it's raining. They fire waterbolt-like projectiles at the player if the spirit is not inside a block and there is no obstacles between her and the player. The projectiles disappear after hitting any surface. They are also very transparent, making them difficult to spot in the rain. However, their body shimmers for a moment every time they fire a projectile, giving away their position.

New Banners!
1yvfc7.png
23waejr.png
2ql7khe.png
2drwbww.png
2r3gyva.png
1z1w9s8.png
otfel1.png

Puffy Wand
2r5ddag.png

Dropped by Angry Nimbus and Frozen Nimbus
Summons a Pet Rain Cloud

Rain Cloud
25jyy6p.gif

Description: This little guy will float behind you and follow you everywhere. Look how cute he is!

Strolling Through the Rain
aoqjhj.png

Sold by the Painter for 1 Gold during the Rain

The Last Laugh
28vpov6.png

Sold by the Painter for 1 Gold during the Rain and a Blood Moon

Also not really rain themed, but certainly helpful for preparing for possible Clowns and Jesters
Phase Clock
122hgnr.gif

Sold by the Mechanic for 2 Gold during a Blood Moon
Description: It's basically a clock that tells you the phase of the moon. During the day it remains on the "New Moon" phase. Whenever there is a blood moon, the moon indicator changes to red and sends out a constant signal to any wires connected to it. This is particularly helpful for automating house defense against enemies during a Blood Moon.

I love the new update stuff, but the rain spirit kind of looks like a thing from the show Steven Universe when holding that floating water ball. Is that its inspiration?

I love the new update stuff, but the rain spirit kind of looks like a thing from the show Steven Universe when holding that floating water ball. Is that its inspiration?
Not really. It's the first thing that came to my mind when I thought "Rain Spirit". And so I decided to just go with it.

I like it, but you've missed the huge opportunity of having the cloud pet float right above your head and constantly rain on you.

i love all of your ideas.

In addition, I think the rain (and snow) itself could look more intense. Perhaps have different degrees of precipitation intensity (drizzle, sleet, all the way to a severe downpour/blizzard (doesn't quite make things hard to see, but is dense enough to have a more physiological response to the player.

This also inspires more weather effects in general. Terraria is chock full of particle effects, but the weather just seems too minor both visually and how it makes the player feel. I believe increased weather dynamism would be relatively easy to implement, but such as rope, slanted blocks etc. dynamic weather could drastically improve the feel of longevity to the game... ie, making the world "come alive" more through something as timeless as dynamic weather could make the game seem longer even if youve done everything, just like a few alternate music tracks can do. Some more weather effects:

-more dynamic precipitation as above
-fog (early morning or late night, thins out around light sources) (fog machine item from party girl)
-cavernous dripping water from stalactites
-more in depth cloud formations
-thunder and lightning (lightning is VERY unlikely to strike you, but can do up to half health or something)
-sandstorms as desert precipitation (I think desert biome could use more oomph)
-waterfalls create mist
-snow biome requires more than just your sprite clothing, can take pretty minimal damage if not wearing armor, damage can increase during a blizzard (severe snow biome precipitation)
-desert biome can give a timer where you have to drink a bottle of water or something after a long period of time
- infrequent downpours in jungle that can slow movement and flight speed

-at first I was thinking that maybe these types of weather effects could have too much change in pvp, but given more thought this is how I see it: the weather effects could add just the right touch of depth and spice to pvp that could require the player to think more about adding more complexity to their own setup, such as rethinking how a melee fighter's style could be worked further in the chance of a downpour, or simply more items can be developed to help balance out new weather effects for certain classes.

maybe I should create a weather thread? I feel increased weather would add SO MUCH to terraria whilst not requiring a plethora of new items to add length to the feel of the game

Last edited:
This is really good, but wouldn't it make early game a bit too difficult? Also, I don't have any trouble finding dye plants, so I don't see the need for them to spawn more.

This is really good, but wouldn't it make early game a bit too difficult? Also, I don't have any trouble finding dye plants, so I don't see the need for them to spawn more.
You mean early hardmode? It was always pretty difficult starting out. I based most of the stats around other enemies in that biome. Note that NPC's still prevent these enemies from spawning around your house, and you could avoid them entirely just by going underground until the rain stops.

As for dyes, it's a small change and it's geared towards collectors who want to create a myriad of dye combinations. You need a ridiculous amount of ingredients to do that, so the rain would help with that.

You mean early hardmode? It was always pretty difficult starting out. I based most of the stats around other enemies in that biome. Note that NPC's still prevent these enemies from spawning around your house, and you could avoid them entirely just by going underground until the rain stops.

As for dyes, it's a small change and it's geared towards collectors who want to create a myriad of dye combinations. You need a ridiculous amount of ingredients to do that, so the rain would help with that.
Did I miss that this was hardmode only? My bad.

:eek: "Rain Cloud" I want pet version of it!!!

or even army of it, I just want to corrupt it, so much corrupt it!

i fell in love with those vanity sets :passionate:
this is incredible, really. great sprites as well!

definitely support!

I love it. One thing however: when it rains in the desert (which barely happens) it pours like absolute hell. So maybe rain should happen less commonly in the desert?

I kind of like the rain as it is, just a little event, just a little rain. But these ideas are also pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom