PC Teleporters and sensors, how do they work with each other?

Arlwiss

Spazmatism
I've got a problem and that problem is that the logic sensor for Player Above doesn't want to work with the teleporter.
What I'm trying to do is have it detect the player and trigger the teleporter, moving him to the other one. What happens is nothing.
Capture 2017-04-23 15_32_47.png
Before anyone asks, yes, the sensor is able to detect the player. I just have to press down and drop through the platform, on the edge of the frame, and it is triggered. And yes, it has to be that far down, it's what the build this is a part of requires.
I've read on the wiki and I've tried YouTube tutorials and stuff but no one seems to have done a teleporter that is triggered using this sensor.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain to me why it doesn't work, and how it could work while retaining the usage of the logic sensor and the distance between it and the teleporter. My best guess right now is that I need to use timers but that also doesn't seem to work.

try connecting the wire from the sensor to a logic gate with a single lamp on it and then to the teleporters

EDIT: no, that doesn't work either
[doublepost=1492956943,1492953436][/doublepost]The sensors basically trigger every time you get teleported in an infinitely small time period, so that could be the reason the developers have made them to not activate the teleporters. A dart trap would give the necessary delay, but when you get teleported the other sensor triggers teleporting you back, so when you get teleported, the other sensors signal needs to be blocked. And the sensor activates twice- when stepping on and stepping off the field (making you teleport back when stepping off the teleporter), so a small circuit is needed to take only the stepping on signal.
k8nKbkP.png

You can change the 1 second timer to a 3 or 5 second timer if you tend to get teleported back when stepping off.
[doublepost=1492959297][/doublepost]
xZFTZXV.png

This one, once teleported, will deactivate the teleporters until you step out of the fields. Teleporting back and forth will result in it not working for a bit because of the dart trap cooldown. you can replace the dart traps with portal gun stations, which have the smallest shooting cooldown resulting in fewer malfunctions, but it might not work in multiplayer (don't quote me on that. I'm not sure)

try connecting the wire from the sensor to a logic gate with a single lamp on it and then to the teleporters

EDIT: no, that doesn't work either
[doublepost=1492956943,1492953436][/doublepost]The sensors basically trigger every time you get teleported in an infinitely small time period, so that could be the reason the developers have made them to not activate the teleporters. A dart trap would give the necessary delay, but when you get teleported the other sensor triggers teleporting you back, so when you get teleported, the other sensors signal needs to be blocked. And the sensor activates twice- when stepping on and stepping off the field (making you teleport back when stepping off the teleporter), so a small circuit is needed to take only the stepping on signal.
k8nKbkP.png

You can change the 1 second timer to a 3 or 5 second timer if you tend to get teleported back when stepping off.
[doublepost=1492959297][/doublepost]
xZFTZXV.png

This one, once teleported, will deactivate the teleporters until you step out of the fields. Teleporting back and forth will result in it not working for a bit because of the dart trap cooldown. you can replace the dart traps with portal gun stations, which have the smallest shooting cooldown resulting in fewer malfunctions, but it might not work in multiplayer (don't quote me on that. I'm not sure)
Well I'll be damned. Thanks! You just saved my teleportation system and it's still gonna take me some time to figure out what exactly the components of your circuits do, but I will.

Edit: I'm sorry but can I trouble you to send 2 more snapshots, one with just two of the wires visible, one with just the other two? These pics are really too confusing, I'm having a hard time making out the lamps and colours
Really sorry for the time waste.

Last edited:
It's not really a time waste since I wanted to figure out why wouldn't the signals from the sensors trigger the teleporters.
I'm not very keen on suggesting anything that has to do with hoiks, but this version works the best (I can still see that there is a small delay between the teleporting because the dummy needs to travel to the pressure plate before I get teleported)
TFzfZTX.png
Hq3y4X1.png
kw5hNbh.png
Msdj4vv.png

Thanks, glad I could provide a problem to a solver. I'm not a fan of hoiks either so I'll use the previous post, assuming the dart+pressure pad bit is the hoiking dummy ghost here

a little bit interesting is if you move fast enough and jump after teleporting, the sensor won't detect the player making the circuit malfunction the next time used. Luckily if you try to use the teleporter, it will correct itself and be functional again.

yeah I know, but the "drop below the platform" wouldn't work so well. It's more of an aesthetic choice
[doublepost=1492964750,1492964270][/doublepost]something more interesting is that you can use the benefits of the sensor and the teleporter still working if you are a tile above it to make a secret entrance to something
jf0MqzT.gif

Aesthetics choice is fine. I've done similar once: I just replaced the center platform with the plate. Not as nice, but just as effective. (I'll go for functionality over aesthetics if getting it how I want it to look takes too much effort.:p)

Well, to each his own. Maybe somebody is just that pedantic that they need it done the hard way.
Correct. And my stubbornness woud have gotten me a hell of a headache. Now I just have to figure out how to link one pod to a couple and I'll be set.

Meaning what exactly? like linking three teleporters?
Actually it's a main hub with a lot of switches. A different combination, a different destination, but the sensor of the teleport pod (which must again follow the aesthetic design) is the final part of every combination, when turnt on it will trigger the selected combination. I plan to use Logic Gates of course, but it's tricky.
And for now it's 6 destinations.

sounds like a very exquisite hub. Shouldn't be hard to make if its only 6 destinations. I might make one myself.
[doublepost=1492969492,1492969426][/doublepost]are you planning a binary or decimal input?

Yeah, I would just use Player-Only Pressure Plates. When it comes to wiring devices I prefer functionality over aesthetics.

You know what I would do in this instance? Use two Player Above sensors so the only valid space is directly on the teleporter, and they each feed into a lamp over an AND gate. When the AND gate triggers, it can send the signal to teleporter.

Yeah, I would just use Player-Only Pressure Plates. When it comes to wiring devices I prefer functionality over aesthetics.
Well I'm all about aesthetics in this build, and I want it to be right.
You know what I would do in this instance? Use two Player Above sensors so the only valid space is directly on the teleporter, and they each feed into a lamp over an AND gate. When the AND gate triggers, it can send the signal to teleporter.
That works if you want one specific spot to be sensed, which is a wonderful idea that I might use, but it still doesn't solve the problem as well as ekinator's version did.
sounds like a very exquisite hub. Shouldn't be hard to make if its only 6 destinations. I might make one myself.
[doublepost=1492969492,1492969426][/doublepost]are you planning a binary or decimal input?
What? I never even thought of binary and decimal inputs. I just wanted a pad of switches. Something like, three to select the level (Space/Overworld/Underground), three to select the region (Overworld:Snow, Overworld:Left Ocean), three if one's gotta be more specific. This is just an example, it's what my confused brain conjured up after three weeks of struggling with different broken designs.
Also...how did you record the clip? I don't think the camera has that option

a decimal input is basically a pad of switches and I record gifs with the game being in windowed borderless mode and screen to gif
[doublepost=1493049438,1493046856][/doublepost]I made the 6 destination hub (with binary input) and it was a bit harder to figure out than expected.
dRGWSnT.png

if I decide to make another one, there would be a lot of things I would have done differently.

a decimal input is basically a pad of switches and I record gifs with the game being in windowed borderless mode and screen to gif
[doublepost=1493049438,1493046856][/doublepost]I made the 6 destination hub (with binary input) and it was a bit harder to figure out than expected.
dRGWSnT.png

if I decide to make another one, there would be a lot of things I would have done differently.
can you show this without wires? and possibly having two versions with Red/Green lit, then Blue/Yellow lit?
just so we can see a bit more detail of what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom