tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

It's the last time i'm training all guardians into killing machines, oh boy, no fun at all, changing their equipments alone would kill me, the mod is fine, only here to write some experience, i'd better focus on few mail guardians next time, by far the ranged route is most efficient, espacially with bosses, for they all fly around, and right now the ai thing is not quiet working out, they don't seem to like to jump to attack enemies above their head that often anymore, maybe with the update it'll be better.
And why brutus was always running and jumping to one side of the map when first met player, it's wierd, lucky i got it stuck with a dirt walling tactic. Otherwise i wouldn't even be able to keep the chatting menu open.
Well, It adds an extra challenge trying to gear all the guardians and increase their max health, and possibly more playtime too If you try to give them gear, but that certainly isn't a thing that adds replay value.

I'm still trying to think of ways of solving that issue, either by making it easier to get gear for them, or by making all guardians used by the player is the same for all characters (and end up op If you geared them on another playthrough).

If you find that AI problem troublesome, then good thing you aren't trying the new combat AI, the guardians are having problems doing melee attacks on enemies lower than their position. I fixed that bug on the indev version, though.

And by the look of it, I forgot to deplete the counter of the AI timer of guardian recruitable npcs, so they most likelly end up running around non stop.
Fixed too. Pay attention, because I'm sure Brutus isn't the only guardian with Idle AI support.

Edit:. There is also another problem, they are supposed to walk. Possibly now those issues are fixed.
Oh The Mod Doesn't Has One? *Waiting For One... Sounds Elevator Music*
As I said, text also works. Or take a screenshot of your character with your favorite guardians, cut it and place "TerraGuardians Powered" in it on your signature. :3

I Normally Use The Mod With Some Others That Let Me Craft Accesories So I Can Equip Them As They Should Like Mabel, Leopold Or Blue I Equip Them Different Thing Cause Ihave Them On Different Classes So Is Pretty Nice To Have A Mod To Craft Accesories So You Don't Need To Grind A Lot, But Still Want That TerraGuardians Could Have Modded Accesories

Capture 2020-04-21 22_25_29.png
I Wanted To Put That One But It Want An URL :'v

I Normally Use The Mod With Some Others That Let Me Craft Accesories So I Can Equip Them As They Should Like Mabel, Leopold Or Blue I Equip Them Different Thing Cause Ihave Them On Different Classes So Is Pretty Nice To Have A Mod To Craft Accesories So You Don't Need To Grind A Lot, But Still Want That TerraGuardians Could Have Modded Accesories
The problem with adding support to other mods, is not only because I have no idea of how I'll save other mod related data within the mod, but also I don't have the time or resources to make the port of those mod features to TerraGuardians. If I manage to find how I can save and load other mod related data within the mod, I may add a way of allowing a third mod to make the "translation" of what the equipments of the mods does to TerraGuardians, so anyone who can make a mod could make their own compatibility mods.
View attachment 267903I Wanted To Put That One But It Want An URL :'v
Here you go:

Just place the following code on your signature.
Code:
[URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraguardians-terrarian-companions.81757/'][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/A3mfQ53.png[/IMG][/URL]

Enjoy. :)

Edit:. @Topic, be sure to build a pretty big house before next update, guys.

Last edited:
If you find that AI problem troublesome, then good thing you aren't trying the new combat AI, the guardians are having problems doing melee attacks on enemies lower than their position. I fixed that bug on the indev version, though.
I am using the new combat AI, as always. i actually posted that melee attack issue if you look it up, so i know, right now by my experience in the game, the issue is kinda better, kind of, they already attack low positioning enemies, just a little clumsy, so rangers are still better.(uppish white cat laugh)

And the problem why gearing guardians up is so frustrating, is because every guardian has his/her own set of armor, and different combat styles, and i don't want to change that or it'll remove their personalities. So i have to prepare all types of armors and accessories and weapons, it's like playing all classes at the very same time. Of course it would be tiresome. Yeah i can give same armors and same type of weapons but it's not military so, no. It's not your fault, i envisioned too much, and forgot time is a measurement as well. I don't know how to solve it, the real probelm though, is player not only needs to give those equipments, but also needs to upgrade them update them when game progresses, or their defence or damage would be too low, that's the main issue here, with three guardians, it's OK at least, but with 9 or 10, hoho it's nightmare, how would you change that? i don't think that's possible in this manner.

I don't think make guardians the same with all characters is a good idea, however you are right when replaying multiple times it's not fun anymore. Cause of the grinding.

Well with all that said, perhaps i CAN at least give some ideas in this trying time, yeah "trying time", i don't know if it's possible, but maybe you can nullify the defence number that guardians recieve from items and instead give guardians their own set denfense numbers, which grows over time with their skills or with progress with the game or even friendship(like "friendship number x #" or something like that) , it doesn't affect all other stats like crits or speed or everything, this means you don't need to constantly upgrade their armors just because new ones give more defense points, now you only need to change their armors when you find new ones with better stat benefits. And why it's about armor is weapon changing is easy, normally they only have one or two, and low damge doesn't kill guardians but low denfense does. With this they would be able to wear more vanity stuffs as well. And armors come in sets , which are 3 pieces normally, so in numbers at least they are hard to prepare. Don't even get me started with the number of all the accessaries. Like lucky horseshoes to keep them from falling to deaaaaaaath. Mayhaps you can add a, well, a "public usage" accessary slots, so player can put some function-for-all items in it, like those items you would possibly prepare for all guardians ,and they are benefit from it, this you don't need to grind for every guardian anymore.(do you know how many bunnies i killed?) (Special ones like class basics you still need to)

Or another solution, with their friendship with you grows, they get additional benefits like more denfense more attack more hp more mana, or damage reduction, or special abilities like they can breathe in water or not take fall damage any more, or immune to lava ( friendship is magic ), right now the friendship benefit is pretty lame, i get damage reduction when riding on them, come on, i don't care about me, i care about them, i have good armor and good dodge skill, while they got nothing, and to be honest, though they are named "guardians", sometimes it is the player who "guards" them. To keep them from danger source. And most importantly, there is no real points doing requests for them after some points in the game, you know the feeling, it's like unnecessary. Even birthdays are not so appealing anymore. So change someting around the friendship thing would be nice and more encouraging. This way with every playthrough you may have more progression feeling than lone grinding. Items should not be the main course of this mod but the animal guardians themselves. Of course, with the changes implied, the details of the friendship system like how much they grow in time may need to change as well.

Huuuuuuuuu that's a lot of words, quarantine did make some impact on my mental wellbeing, can't imagine if we didn't have internet or any games. Still those are ideas alone, unrealistic to be sure. But sometimes all we need is ideas, man would not be man if not for crazy ideas.

Off topic, why setting brutus's test to five seconds ? What kind of duel was that? (i didn't use any guardians to help, don't know if i could). And no "cheating", come one he's the one who's cheating for setting the timer so short and doesn't allow debuffs. Next time i want to try with explosives or fireworks , and see if that's cheaing. Right now i am teaming him with bree, big cats and small :red:(pushy), rifle and pistol, see how that works.

Hello, sorry to bring this up. I put the ether hearts and life crystals into multiple terra guardians' inventories. But none of them are consuming them. I was looking over your first post on this forum and seeing you said to simply put it in their inventory but I don't know what else to do because they're simply not taking them.

Hello, sorry to bring this up. I put the ether hearts and life crystals into multiple terra guardians' inventories. But none of them are consuming them. I was looking over your first post on this forum and seeing you said to simply put it in their inventory but I don't know what else to do because they're simply not taking them.
Have You Oredered Them To Use Those With The Command Button?

I am using the new combat AI, as always. i actually posted that melee attack issue if you look it up, so i know, right now by my experience in the game, the issue is kinda better, kind of, they already attack low positioning enemies, just a little clumsy, so rangers are still better.(uppish white cat laugh)

And the problem why gearing guardians up is so frustrating, is because every guardian has his/her own set of armor, and different combat styles, and i don't want to change that or it'll remove their personalities. So i have to prepare all types of armors and accessories and weapons, it's like playing all classes at the very same time. Of course it would be tiresome. Yeah i can give same armors and same type of weapons but it's not military so, no. It's not your fault, i envisioned too much, and forgot time is a measurement as well. I don't know how to solve it, the real probelm though, is player not only needs to give those equipments, but also needs to upgrade them update them when game progresses, or their defence or damage would be too low, that's the main issue here, with three guardians, it's OK at least, but with 9 or 10, hoho it's nightmare, how would you change that? i don't think that's possible in this manner.

I don't think make guardians the same with all characters is a good idea, however you are right when replaying multiple times it's not fun anymore. Cause of the grinding.

Well with all that said, perhaps i CAN at least give some ideas in this trying time, yeah "trying time", i don't know if it's possible, but maybe you can nullify the defence number that guardians recieve from items and instead give guardians their own set denfense numbers, which grows over time with their skills or with progress with the game or even friendship(like "friendship number x #" or something like that) , it doesn't affect all other stats like crits or speed or everything, this means you don't need to constantly upgrade their armors just because new ones give more defense points, now you only need to change their armors when you find new ones with better stat benefits. And why it's about armor is weapon changing is easy, normally they only have one or two, and low damge doesn't kill guardians but low denfense does. With this they would be able to wear more vanity stuffs as well. And armors come in sets , which are 3 pieces normally, so in numbers at least they are hard to prepare. Don't even get me started with the number of all the accessaries. Like lucky horseshoes to keep them from falling to deaaaaaaath. Mayhaps you can add a, well, a "public usage" accessary slots, so player can put some function-for-all items in it, like those items you would possibly prepare for all guardians ,and they are benefit from it, this you don't need to grind for every guardian anymore.(do you know how many bunnies i killed?) (Special ones like class basics you still need to)

Or another solution, with their friendship with you grows, they get additional benefits like more denfense more attack more hp more mana, or damage reduction, or special abilities like they can breathe in water or not take fall damage any more, or immune to lava ( friendship is magic ), right now the friendship benefit is pretty lame, i get damage reduction when riding on them, come on, i don't care about me, i care about them, i have good armor and good dodge skill, while they got nothing, and to be honest, though they are named "guardians", sometimes it is the player who "guards" them. To keep them from danger source. And most importantly, there is no real points doing requests for them after some points in the game, you know the feeling, it's like unnecessary. Even birthdays are not so appealing anymore. So change someting around the friendship thing would be nice and more encouraging. This way with every playthrough you may have more progression feeling than lone grinding. Items should not be the main course of this mod but the animal guardians themselves. Of course, with the changes implied, the details of the friendship system like how much they grow in time may need to change as well.

Huuuuuuuuu that's a lot of words, quarantine did make some impact on my mental wellbeing, can't imagine if we didn't have internet or any games. Still those are ideas alone, unrealistic to be sure. But sometimes all we need is ideas, man would not be man if not for crazy ideas.

Off topic, why setting brutus's test to five seconds ? What kind of duel was that? (i didn't use any guardians to help, don't know if i could). And no "cheating", come one he's the one who's cheating for setting the timer so short and doesn't allow debuffs. Next time i want to try with explosives or fireworks , and see if that's cheaing. Right now i am teaming him with bree, big cats and small :red:(pushy), rifle and pistol, see how that works.
Holy wall of text!!! It's passing through the forum!

By the way, a number of ideas are actually good, maybe they will need some a few changes upon implementation, but possibly can fix a number of problems the mod gives. You're right about the requests and the birthday parties, and I agree that there could be ways of the player helping the guardians, since they most likelly end up helping the player.

The ideas of strengthening guardians based on friendship level isn't really good, but It gives a base to look for ways of strengthening the guardians without making them overpowered for everyone.

Currently, other than getting health increase items (and some times magic mirrors), the requests are only to help boosting friendship. Birthday parties in the end, they give you a lot of items to sell, because after a certain point in the game, there isn't much use for crate loots.

I'll have to review the requests and birthday parties, for sure.

Ps:. Brutus isn't dueling with you, he's testing your damage. If you want to have him as a companion, either pay, or show how strong you and your team is.
And by knowing that the guardians are using the new combat AI, set them on the assist combat AI before doing so.
Yes, you need to place them on their inventory, but you need to give them the order to use those items.
You most likelly don't know how to, so try holding right mouse button. If nothing happens, go in the mod options and change the keybinding of the order hud to a key of easy access, then hold it in-game to open the order hud, and move the mouse in the direction of the order.

Wonder if there's anything like a Discord chat for this.

I know I already mentioned the missing head thing, but this shot was amusing, so I wanted to share it.

It looks like I'm being chased by a creepy shadowy doppelganger.
View attachment 267958

That would actually be a fun idea for an enemy in another mod. Shadows that resemble players in various outfits, with big creepy open mouths on them.
Nope, there isn't. There's only a Steam Group chat.

Just for information, the reason why Nemesis looks like that in the game is due to a bug. It were fixed on the update I'm finishing.

Also... There's Eye of Cthulhu mask in the game, or Wall of Flesh mask.

Ps:. the bug is smiling, though.

Nakano I Thinked Something Right Now And It Was That It Would Be Really Cool If You Could Combine One Of Your Mod The Custom Player Sprites Mod So You Can Customize Nemesis Sprite :)

Nakano I Thinked Something Right Now And It Was That It Would Be Really Cool If You Could Combine One Of Your Mod The Custom Player Sprites Mod So You Can Customize Nemesis Sprite :)
If there are any plans to make Terraguardians work in multiplayer, the Custom Player Sprites bit would need fixing before inclusion.

Alternately there could just be another guardian similar to Nemesis, without being pitch black. Not sure what that one's story would be. Maybe a doppelganger copying the gender, hairstyle, and colors of a player to begin with, unless it's easier to just make it bald and stuff like Nemesis is. We'll be dressing them up anyway.
CPS Mod codes are really messy, and they still need the player to be able to draw the sprites. (Beside that mod may need a remake in the future, but I need some more experience before I try that)

Actually, looks like there's no other way I can pass through this problem. If I want to be able to add Terrarian companions to the mod, I'll have to do scripts to allow storing variables for the companion Terrarian aspects, and make use of the game Terrarian graphics to make them visible.
That wont be impossible for me to do, but certainly will give me some time to try recreating the Terrarian.

Yep, you read that, I'll have to recreate the Terrarian drawing system.

I think I'm up for that challenge, I've had a kind of crazy idea like that some weeks ago, but more related to the TerraGuardians.

New TerraGuardians update is out!
Fixed guardians melee combat AI when using melee weapon.
Unrecruited Guardians will no longer run around non stop when Idling.
Nemesis face will no longer be cutdown when using Lamia Tail, Mermaid Tail or Djinn's Curse.
I subtracted the wrong variable, Oops.​
Changed the way guardians store coins in their inventory, after they sell items.
You can now give orders to your fifth guardian.
Reduced the difficulty to have certain items be found as reward on the bounty quests.
Added an option to allow guardians to enter Idle state faster when you afk inside towns.
Vladimir arrives.
You can get him freely until Terraria 1.4 launch date. (Terraria aniversary day, May 19th)​
The Spectre Hood set now works for TerraGuardians. I also added script supporting Spectre Mask and Nebula Set, but I didn't tested them.
Reduced maximum distance guardians stays in combat when fighting monsters, when they are set to guard some place.
Giving movement control to a guardian you're mounted on, will now set it to a guarding position state, on the place It was standing when you gave the order.
Monsters and bosses will now gain a bonus on difficulty If you have a titan guardian following you.
If you don't know what is this yet, this update will most likelly increases the chance of you finding out.​
Increased the chance of appearing rare accessories as bounty quests rewards.
You can no longer glitch guardians through the floor by telling them to sit in a chair, while their size is increased.

Finally! The melee combat AI is fixed on the new combat system. Also, the new Idle AI gained a number of tweaks, but only while playing you will see the effects of it, and possibly find bugs, so be sure to report them.

This update also introduces a new guardian, who has something many people now adays needs, even more with the recent issue our world is facing.
Vladimir1.png
Vladimir: "*Do you want a hug? I can give you as many hugs you may want, I don't mind.*"

This big guy really likes giving hugs to anyone who needs it, nobody knows the reason why he likes that, but I'm sure he'll tell the reasons If you spend some time to talk with him. He also hugs troubled TerraGuardians and Terrarians, and they most likelly end up confessing what troubles them, he may be able to tell you what they said anytime. That also makes him feel like a kind of therapist, without the part of talking with their patients mostly.

To unlock him, you just need to enter any world with your characters until Terraria's next birthday (May 19th), which is also the day Terraria 1.4 update is set to launch. Of course I'll have to add a recruitment method for him later, It is not my intention to make him "Pre-1.4 exclusive".

Enjoy :)

Oh yeah, I'm sure you guys will get a good reason to do more bounty quests on next update, since the rare accessories are now less rare. I say that because right after the change, I already found one after a few bounty quests I got.

Hey Nakano Do You Wanna See A Bug That I Don't Want That You Fix It?
Sure thing, but I can't promisse I wont fix it, depending on how the bug works, or what causes.
That is one big bear.

I hate to say it but there's still a bug going on with the troublesome parts like lamia or mermaid tails.

View attachment 268025 Nemesis no longer appears headless,
View attachment 268026 but the eye glow appears too high
View attachment 268027 or too low in certain movement frames.

Other than that, things are still a lot better though.
You may not believe what I will say, but the fix to Nemesis face broke his eyes. Hehe.
Good thing that I were already preparing the hotfix patch for the update. There were a number of things that needs to be fixed, and bizarrelly, I didn't bumped into, even though I spent the entire day debugging playing the mod.
Thank you both for the helpful tips with the order wheel, I appreciate it.
Heh, no problem.
Enjoy your gameplay :D

Back
Top Bottom