PC Terraria 1.3.0.6 is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah man, I just started doing the lunar events, on normal mode, and have successfully been defeated by ML twice. He's gonna get his wins first and then I'm gonna start getting my wins. It's a matter of patience, persistence and preparedness.

Very much the story of my run, as well. "Incremental improvements..."

Well, yes and no. They forced you to stay down, so if flying arround is actually considered a playstyle, then yes, that is also fake difficulty. On the other hand, it's at least equal to what ever class you play. I played that with a melee and a ranger character and I didn't get the impression that it favors one of them more than any other parts in the game. I just have to get used to not to fly, but actually it's similar to not to swim in lava instead of water or not to mine a bunch of sand blocks it you are standing right below them. Its more a game mechanic, it doesn't change whatever way you play the game. So I personally wouldn't this call fake difficulty.

I still fail to see how making you switch up your strategy is "fake difficulty" Some of my favorite enemies in games do this. Such as my earlier example of the Golem and the Bitterblack Isles Knights from Dragon's Dogma. The Golem is immune to magic damage, which was interesting as an Arcane Archer.

Excuse me?! Shortswords are the pinnacle of weapons technology. I mean, in the terraria universe, there are lazer machine guns, shadow flame hex dolls, and stardust dragons that exist. But despite all of that, you know what weapon the devs entrust with us to carry us through the game? A COPPER SHORTSWORD. If that isn't prophetic of what the best weapons in the game are, I don't know what would be.
Edit: thinking about it now, it would be great if the copper shortsword you start with does 10,000 damage to the final boss if you keep it in your inventory all the way. Kind of like the eggplant in spelunky.

The Moon Lord would never expect the coppor shortsword, and therefor never built any resistance to it! It was the chosen weapon all along v.v I'm sorry for doubting it's power!

Wanted to clarify something for the thread, as its been asked several times and I haven't seen an answer given (this information is being provided for me to share here).

The Stardust Dragon change is complicated and involved a few things, so bear with me.

1. Prefixes weren't working with the Stardust Dragon correctly. So your "Ruthless" Stardust Dragon staff wasn't dealing Ruthless damage, just normal. This is one of the things that was fixed.
2. It was seen that the Stardust Dragon Staff was performing VERY well at "1 minion count" use, possibly too well. As a result, its base damage was decreased.
3. However, the scaling wherein "each additional minion" increases the power of the weapon has been increased. This means that a higher minion count investment is more rewarding than it was before (each minion increase should show a proportionally higher increase in damage than before this version)

The above was made with the consideration of the new prefix damage issue included; by my rough estimates, if you are using a good prefix on your staff, you should expect a SLIGHT decrease in performance on a 1-minion count Dragon compared to the previous versions (in other words, a Dragon being used by a non-Summoner) but by 2 or 3 minion count, the overall damage should come out about the same. Above 3 minion count, you should be seeing an improvement in Stardust Dragon damage compared to previous versions.

I hope that helps clarify things!

Thanks for the clarification. Now I think this patch actually makes fighting Moon Lord easier for summoners, because the damage output is almost doubled.

The Moon Lord would never expect the coppor shortsword, and therefor never built any resistance to it! It was the chosen weapon all along v.v I'm sorry for doubting it's power!

That would be hilarious. Difficult, because dat short range, but absolutely hilarious.

I both agree and disagree at the same time. I agree that the final boss should be challenging. But most ppl that want to cheese it have already beaten him legit, and now just want to farm drops. So a simple solution to that would be to allow a drop from the moonlord give players an easier way to kill him the next time, so that farming him wont be such a chore.
Or have a way to very well easily allow the players to pick and choose what they want without wasting 5+ hours grinding for the weapons they want with this extreme tedium.

I've beaten ML on expert without the exploits. Hard? yes. Impossible? No. I don't even use a flying mount -- or Frost spark boots.

Beating the ML was supposed to be earned, not given to you. There are so many ways to avoid his attacks. Teleporters? Tiles for his head beam? Minecart?

He is supposed to require a lot from you -- He's the last boss.
Omnir got it down! Exactly the attitude all of us should have towards the "final boss" as he's so rightly called.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437443110,1437443057][/DOUBLEPOST]
720 ore actually :p You need 40 chlorophyte, 40 spectre, and 40 shroomite. At 6 ore per bar.
Just a quick though in my head, I did work it out at one stage, as I didn't have the full 160 bars in my possession when I wanted to make it...

I dont even use the nurse to kill him, so making the nurse unable to help, effects me not!

but sounds like a nice idea for her to die when moon lord appears.

On lifesteal being negated being fake difficulty
spin it how you like...it IS fake difficulty to make a boss suddenly ignore rules of how specific weapons/armor work. (may as well say shadowdodge doesn't work vs the destroyer)

I mean yeah, the class types are still idiots.... but it can be two things.

if specter helmet really had to be nerfed out of function for the final boss like that doncha think maybe its worth reexamining overall? then it could be properly balanced and moonlord wouldn't need to suddenly and without warning disable the gear of an unsuspecting mage who thought they were prepared to fight him.

(in that case i'd suggest:
-that helmet should have replaced the hood, its "attacking wisps" bonus is perfect for the set.
-add a single spell(spectral tome) with lifesteal:
--sends healing wisps to the lowest hp ally(20% damage done, same effect as specter)
--make it a direct fire attack and then balance its damage accordingly with the tier its obtained in. (stats:i donno...68 damage, 2 pierce, 11 mana, and fire a constant low knockback beam like life drain or last prisim for usetime...would that work?(obviously devs will be better at stats than me so tweak as needed))
--crafted with ectoplasm+book and using the same art it does now for the healing.
)

I dont even use the nurse to kill him, so making the nurse unable to help, effects me not!

but sounds like a nice idea for her to die when moon lord appears.

It's an awful idea. I don't use her either, but I wouldn't support that. Thankfully, the staff seems to agree.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437443625,1437443492][/DOUBLEPOST]
spin it how you like...it IS fake difficulty to make a boss suddenly ignore rules of how specific weapons/armor work. (may as well say shadowdodge doesn't work vs the destroyer)

if specter helmet really had to be nerfed out of function for the final boss like that doncha think maybe its worth reexamining overall? then it could be properly balanced and moonlord wouldn't need to suddenly and without warning disable the gear of an unsuspecting mage who thought they were prepared to fight him.

(in that case i'd suggest:
-that helmet should have replaced the hood, its "attacking wisps" bonus is perfect for the set.
-add a single spell(spectral tome) with lifesteal:
--sends healing wisps to the lowest hp ally(20% damage done, same effect as specter)
--make it a direct fire attack and then balance its damage accordingly with the tier its obtained in. (stats:i donno...68 damage, 2 pierce, 11 mana, and fire a constant low knockback beam like life drain or last prisim for usetime...would that work?(obviously devs will be better at stats than me so tweak as needed))
--crafted with ectoplasm+book and using the same art it does now for the healing.
)

But, it isn't unbalanced against other things. It is still fully possible to die against the events using the hood and "proper" tier weapons. It just allowed you to entirely cheese the Moon Lord.

Edit: Also, I stand by whatever the devs decide, as it's their decision.

And not sure what you mean by "Class types are idiots"

You don't have to be so passively agresive. I didn't mean to be offensive when I said lazy, take it easy. :[ Soul of Night said things better than I did, that's for sure. Anyway, we're getting a bit off subject here aren't we? :)
Good luck beating the Moon Lord.

I think in a lot of cases like this, passion aggressive would be more appropriate. When something someone likes and/or participates in is causing them to change their baseline emotional state to become aggressive. Others call it gamer/nerd rage and I'm sure there are other terms.

Some don't mind using cheap tactics, others really want to do it clean. Most want to do it clean but they don't have the skills to do it so they are feel like they are forced to use the cheap tactics. It is a sandbox game but the devs do have a vision of how they want the players to experience the game.

reply to the edit

theres nothing at all special about moon lord vs lifesteal.

If there wasn't an outstanding problem, they wouldn't have felt the need to nerf it. Lifesteal allowed you to facetank the boss. Facetanking shouldn't be possible against any boss with "proper tier" gear.

Eh, I'm probably just slow, then. That minute, to me, feels like long enough for the rush of taking down the Towers to wear off, but not long enough to prepare unless you've already got everything you want in your inventory.

EDIT: And once you get to a point you can defeat him reliably, that buildup gets old.

True. Maybe for the towers keep it 1 minute but like you had said for the sigil, change it to 20 seconds or instant. Though, I notice that when using a goblin/pirate invasion item they give you about 20 seconds before they arrive, so you can get your defenses turned on, your potions drank and you can take that breath before you dive in.

:dryadsmile:

:dryadcry:

I can see 1.3.0.7 now...

-Heart Statues no longer work during the final boss battle
-Moon Bite cancels Frozen Turtle Shell
-Charm of Myths no longer reduces Potion Sickness during the final boss battle
-If a player somehow dodges the Big Laser, a tentacle reaches out and drags him/her back into it again
well at least the moon beam still doesn't go through blocks... *cough*

True. Maybe for the towers keep it 1 minute but like you had said for the sigil, change it to 20 seconds or instant. Though, I notice that when using a goblin/pirate invasion item they give you about 20 seconds before they arrive, so you can get your defenses turned on, your potions drank and you can take that breath before you dive in.

Fair enough. Though if I'm summoning, I'm drinking my potions and finishing my setup before using the item. That's me, though, won't speak for others' playstyles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom