Console Terraria Console 1.3 Update: Playstation 4 Submitted, Xbox One Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loki

Consigliere
Staff member
Re-Logic
Administrator
Good day, Terrarians!

We have some pretty big news to share today with all of you - especially our console players!

Final-RGB (Pixel Logo).png

Terraria 1.3 Console Launch Window

After a long development cycle in order to completely rewrite the entire Terraria codebase for Xbox One and Playstation 4, Re-Logic, Pipeworks, and 505 Games are very pleased to announce that the Terraria Console 1.3 update has been officially submitted to Sony for certification & approval to launch on the Playstation 4!!! This means that - depending on how that approval process proceeds - we are in the final milestone before having all of the amazing content that you have been waiting so patiently for in the hands of PS4 players. Xbox One is going to run a bit behind Playstation, we are afraid - read on below for the full details around what is happening, when, and why!

PLAYSTATION 4
Submitted to Sony (12/6/17) - Estimated to launch prior to end of 2017

There is a chance that the date will slip a bit (this is out of our control, unfortunately), but we have spent a ton of time in QA across all three companies to try and make this update/rewrite as clean as we can. Hopefully, that will make for a fast and smooth certification! Of course, the team is already standing by for hotfixes for any bugs that are inevitably uncovered when you move from interior QA to a live build being played by millions of gamers. ;)

divider.png

XBOX ONE

Working on Final Critical Path Bugs (see below) - Submission TBD, Planned Launch in 2017, pending resolution of final bug

So, what about Xbox One?

Over the weekend, we had a couple of issues pop up that are isolated to the XB1 build and are also big enough of a deal that we feel we need to have these addressed prior to submission to Microsoft. The good news is that we are down to one last problem at this point. The team is currently wholly focused on this critical item - and we wanted to share a bit about what it is and how long we estimate it might take to get things sorted and XB1 off to submission. This may be more info than some people want, but we figured that some extra transparency couldn't hurt:

• Console "Suspended State" - Currently, if you "suspend" your XB1 without Saving & Exiting, etc. (power down the console, but not all the way) and try to restart Terraria later, the game will place you back into the main menu. The root cause for this is that the console logs off your profile (and saves are tied to profiles) when you power down. This could potentially cause a player to lose any progress since their last save (again, if they did not Save & Exit prior to suspending the console).
    • The team is looking to match the way other games handle this suspended state (if you log back in and do not change profiles, you can rejoin the game at the spot you left off)
    • NOTE: If you enable Auto Sign-in in your XB1 settings, you can get around this issue entirely - so note that for later - but we wanted a solution that worked for everyone, not just those that are able and willing to make that settings tweak.
ESTIMATED TIMING: Friday, barring any further setbacks

divider.png

Once this issue is sorted out - barring any additional unforeseen critical bugs popping up - 505 is planning to submit the Xbox One version to Microsoft immediately thereafter. Again, hopefully, that will be a quick and painless process and we will have XB1 out in 2017 as well. However, you can see that these are not small "nuisance" bugs, and the Pipeworks team wants to take care to be certain that these are sorted out.

Please accept an apology on behalf of all three teams for what will hopefully be a minor delay for our Xbox fans. We will let you know immediately once it enters submission.

index.php

WHAT'S NEXT?

Once the console versions make it to launch, Pipeworks/505/Re-Logic will diligently collect any post-launch bugs that crop up or are found by you guys and start the process of having them addressed immediately. The teams are planning and ready for a set of hotfixes to cover these as well as any minor bugs that the team decided to defer to post-launch in order to get this update into your hands sooner vs later.

After that, Mobile & Switch will officially be "on the clock" - and our Mobile/Switch Terrarians can look forward to new updates on their platform soon! We hope to have updated general timing estimates for Mobile and the Nintendo Switch version in the near future. Once all that is sorted, the team will be getting together to lay out the future update cadence so that we can keep get those post-1.3 content updates to you in a timely fashion.

In closing, on behalf of everyone working on Terraria, thank you for your patience during this rewrite, and we are all beyond excited to see you all experience what this new version has to offer (1.3 content and beyond), to bring console up to speed as soon as possible with PC, and for what the future holds for the console platform!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see you working so diligently to create a perfect port despite all the haters on console complaining that you should release a buggy product.

Hype for the update! ... Even if I'm waiting for the Switch version. c: But hey, I'm a patient man and I have the PC version to tide me over until then.

I'm just happy that the PS4/XBone users will finally have their update that they've been waiting so long for. :D Here's to good videogame ports!

For the people who complain and believe the company's been dragging their feet the whole time...

It takes a CRAPTON more effort to port a game from one platform to another than you think. There's no magic wand, no hocus pocus. You have to make sure the code you write/adapt works on the target platform's HARDWARE, or sludge hits the flywheel.

Pipeworks unleashed quite a bit of blood, sweat and tears getting the rewrite to work. This, my friends, is the so-called "foot dragging" you claim. The process is brutal, and they really want a product that is playable at launch time, not broken/incomplete and riddled with bugs.

You should be thankin' them for their hard work, instead of complaining.

As a person who has designed content for some games (in an era where modifications had no magic program to use), it's no cakewalk.

Nice! I go to my dad's house nearly every weekend and the kids want to play games with me. I told them we can play Terraria again when the update comes out so I can show them what I experienced on PC. My friends are also planning to get XB1s to get Terraria and play. Finally I can enjoy multiplayer Terraria with 1.3!

Good day, Terrarians!

We have some pretty big news to share today with all of you - especially our console players!

View attachment 189134

Terraria 1.3 Console Launch Window

After a long development cycle in order to completely rewrite the entire Terraria codebase for Xbox One and Playstation 4, Re-Logic, Pipeworks, and 505 Games are very pleased to announce that the Terraria Console 1.3 update has been officially submitted to Sony for certification & approval to launch on the Playstation 4!!! This means that - depending on how that approval process proceeds - we are in the final milestone before having all of the amazing content that you have been waiting so patiently for in the hands of PS4 players. Xbox One is going to run a bit behind Playstation, we are afraid - read on below for the full details around what is happening, when, and why!

PLAYSTATION 4
Submitted to Sony (12/6/17) - Estimated to launch prior to end of 2017

There is a chance that the date will slip a bit (this is out of our control, unfortunately), but we have spent a ton of time in QA across all three companies to try and make this update/rewrite as clean as we can. Hopefully, that will make for a fast and smooth certification! Of course, the team is already standing by for hotfixes for any bugs that are inevitably uncovered when you move from interior QA to a live build being played by millions of gamers. ;)

divider.png

XBOX ONE

Working on Final Critical Path Bugs (see below) - Submission TBD, Planned Launch in 2017, pending resolution of final bug

So, what about Xbox One?

Over the weekend, we had a couple of issues pop up that are isolated to the XB1 build and are also big enough of a deal that we feel we need to have these addressed prior to submission to Microsoft. The good news is that we are down to one last problem at this point. The team is currently wholly focused on this critical item - and we wanted to share a bit about what it is and how long we estimate it might take to get things sorted and XB1 off to submission. This may be more info than some people want, but we figured that some extra transparency couldn't hurt:

• Console "Suspended State" - Currently, if you "suspend" your XB1 without Saving & Exiting, etc. (power down the console, but not all the way) and try to restart Terraria later, the game will place you back into the main menu. The root cause for this is that the console logs off your profile (and saves are tied to profiles) when you power down. This could potentially cause a player to lose any progress since their last save (again, if they did not Save & Exit prior to suspending the console).
    • The team is looking to match the way other games handle this suspended state (if you log back in and do not change profiles, you can rejoin the game at the spot you left off)
    • NOTE: If you enable Auto Sign-in in your XB1 settings, you can get around this issue entirely - so note that for later - but we wanted a solution that worked for everyone, not just those that are able and willing to make that settings tweak.
ESTIMATED TIMING: Friday, barring any further setbacks

divider.png

Once this issue is sorted out - barring any additional unforeseen critical bugs popping up - 505 is planning to submit the Xbox One version to Microsoft immediately thereafter. Again, hopefully, that will be a quick and painless process and we will have XB1 out in 2017 as well. However, you can see that these are not small "nuisance" bugs, and the Pipeworks team wants to take care to be certain that these are sorted out.

Please accept an apology on behalf of all three teams for what will hopefully be a minor delay for our Xbox fans. We will let you know immediately once it enters submission.

index.php

WHAT'S NEXT?

Once the console versions make it to launch, Pipeworks/505/Re-Logic will diligently collect any post-launch bugs that crop up or are found by you guys and start the process of having them addressed immediately. The teams are planning and ready for a set of hotfixes to cover these as well as any minor bugs that the team decided to defer to post-launch in order to get this update into your hands sooner vs later.

After that, Mobile & Switch will officially be "on the clock" - and our Mobile/Switch Terrarians can look forward to new updates on their platform soon! We hope to have updated general timing estimates for Mobile and the Nintendo Switch version in the near future. Once all that is sorted, the team will be getting together to lay out the future update cadence so that we can keep get those post-1.3 content updates to you in a timely fashion.

In closing, on behalf of everyone working on Terraria, thank you for your patience during this rewrite, and we are all beyond excited to see you all experience what this new version has to offer (1.3 content and beyond), to bring console up to speed as soon as possible with PC, and for what the future holds for the console platform!!!
I am a bit disappointed at the slight delay Xbox will be getting, with me playing exclusively on Xbox and all.

But I know Pipeworks will be working their butts off to make sure they reach their goal. :)
Other than that...
Finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom