Official Terraria: Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1.3 thing being a prevalent thing in this thread is like the paint in the last spoiler.

What can you say, people refuse to read.

All I can say is...why?

Because Terraria is rapidly reaching fundamental limitations in its code that are limiting the creativity of the development team, both in terms of graphics, potential complexity, and quantity of content. It was never designed to be as big as it was, and its too late to rewrite it.

Would focusing all efforts to create one polished game not be a better idea??

No. The dev team focusing on T1 has things well under control.

Now efforts will be split between Terraia, Terraria OW, and Terraria 2. ?
Nope; T1's keeping its current development team, at least as it was going to anyway. A new dev team is working TOW, and T2 is not under development. Its not splitting anything at all.

Speaking of which, why is any sort of sequel/spinoff necessary? Rewrite some engine if it poses limitations, change the art-style to the nasty Starbound-looking theme if you must, but why does that warrant a new game?

You aren't serious are you? You don't rewrite a 4 year old game from scratch so that you can expand its limitations, or redo all the art assets of a 4-year old game, for a massive graphical overhaul. That is the definition of clinging to the past. It would probably be HARDER to do this than just starting fresh. Furthermore, the results are even less satisfactory; you break EVERYTHING in the process, so you end up making a whole new game anyway . . . might as well just do that and not ruin T1.

Why not? They can do whatever they want to the game, but why make it a whole new game? What's wrong with a large update?

I think you underestimate the sheer quantity and scope of the changes going into this . . . you can't just "update Terraria". Its harder to tear through years of code to completely rewrite it while holding onto some stability, than it is to just make a new game. And the end results are two good games, rather than one unstable hodgepodge mess.

As for "profit motivated", anyone who accuses a team that has provided years worth of free updates to their only game of being profit motivated needs to branch out into the video game world and see what true profit motivated companies do. What a ludicrous assumption.

Last edited:
Is there a chance for a Wii U or 3DS version? i really think at least 3DS :D
Nintendo does not have a very good reputation lately of attracting third party devs to their systems. I would guess not. Shame really, Terraria would be fun to play on a touchscreen, besides the iOS version.

Why do some people here seem to think that you can just, completely change the entire focus of a game a couple years after release? Why would you want them to shove stuff into the old game that wouldn't fit in it, rather than start anew and make a completely new experience? Sure it might look like a simple graphical upgrade now, but it's in it's pre-alpha stages, it could end up being a RPG with story telling that rivals the best of the genre, it could be a beat 'em up, it could be a hybrid of the two, they can't do that in the original Terraria without completely changing it's focus.

I wonder if the amount of acorns that drop from trees will be changed from what we saw in the trailer? Most trees drop like 1-3 acorns in Terraria but the trailer looked it had the tree dropping 11 acorns. I think acorn drops will be nerfed. :(

For those that may be concerned about Terraria and the 1.3 update - don't worry a bit. We are still working as feverishly as ever to bring what we think is the most amazing update yet to Terrarians everywhere.
You should put this at the top of the page, and rewrite it like this:
For those that may be concerned about Terraria and the 1.3 update - don't worry a bit. We are still working as feverishly as ever to bring what we think is the most amazing update yet to Terrarians everywhere.

WHAT!!!!!!!! THEY ARE MAKING TERRARIA 2 AND THIS RPG VERSION!?!?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! HYPE TRAIN INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To make sure that there are no misunderstandings, this is not Terraria 2. You're welcome to think of it this way, but Terraria 2 will likely appear later down the line and be developed solely by Re-logic (probably).
This is a spin-off, a different take on how to handle the game.

To make sure that there are no misunderstandings, this is not Terraria 2. You're welcome to think of it this way, but Terraria 2 will likely appear later down the line and be developed solely by Re-logic (probably).
This is a spin-off, a different take on how to handle the game.
He said Terraria 2 and this spinoff (at first I missed that part as well)

Why do some people here seem to think that you can just, completely change the entire focus of a game a couple years after release? Why would you want them to shove stuff into the old game that wouldn't fit in it, rather than start anew and make a completely new experience? Sure it might look like a simple graphical upgrade now, but it's in it's pre-alpha stages, it could end up being a RPG with story telling that rivals the best of the genre, it could be a beat 'em up, it could be a hybrid of the two, they can't do that in the original Terraria without completely changing it's focus.
I agree.
If the would change the complete art style, it would upset a lot of players.
I have already tried to make a game with mechanics like in Terraria and I know, that sometime, it is better to rewrite it completely, than trying to add to the existing game.
As long as we do not have played it, we can't say if it is good or bad. As I tried starbound I was really disappointed, not because of the art style, but because the weapons fealt all the same and the boss fights were boring.

And if you wonder, how it can be, that none of the 1.3 Team is working on Terrara : OW. It is simple. They can just afford to invest money in new developers for this new game, because they are going to get it back, once it is finished. And the best Part is, that once Terrara 1.3 and Terraria : Otherworld is finished, they have experienced developers, who can give their best on a new game, namely Terraria 2.

i say it early but it has been burried in an avalanche of posts
see this "buble"
screenshot_1-857e2879d7deb45948a80e2d5c823164.jpg

now watch the video teaser betwhen 0.20 and 0.22 you can see the character walking trougth the "bubble" we can see that inside this buble the world is clean, but outside remains corrupted. so this machine, will be a way to clean the corruption. and since the the machine in the image is another diferent from the one in the video, who was in the surface, i can now assume that you have to find this machines around the world and go activating it to create more and more clean areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom