tModLoader Terraria Overhaul - Gameplay enhancements and much more

Today I found a bug. If you are holding a gun on the slimy saddle mount, you will take fall damage,despite using cloud in a bottle. I found this when fighting the eye of Cthulhu.

This looks so cool! Gonna see if I can get my stuff to work with the rendering changes.
That would be incredibly useful and kind of you to do, thank you.

Once WeaponOut plays nicely with this overhaul, then it's merely wishing/waiting for Dual Wielding functionality to be working with or in this mod in some form. ;)

I just a finished a full play-through of this mod, and let me just say... This mod is AMAZING!!!
Before I go into my review proper, I'd like to preface everything by saying that the sheer amount of effort and love that went into making this mod is very apparent.
Any bugs I encountered or personal gripes I had are almost completely overshadowed by how much FUN I had playing this.

(Mods I was using: Dual Wielding v1.0, and Yet Another Boss Health bar v1.1.3)
(Everything pre-WoF was in Overhaul v1.0, everything after was in v1.0.2)

Getting right in from when I booted up a new world with a new character, The new momentum system took a bit of getting used to and was a bit restrictive before I
acquired any mobility tools, but once I got the hang of it, it felt great.

Weapons felt very hit-and-miss with me. The changes made to guns, for instance, felt very nice and added quite a bit of class identity to the ranger. The changes made to bows, however, I felt made them waaaaay too slow and therefore unusable next to guns. The damage bonus from a fully charged shot would have to be very, very high for me to consider using them.
The changes made to melee weapons would be great if not for the fact that broadsword type weapons freeze you in place for a fraction of a second after swinging them, killing all the speed and momentum I had built up for that apparent 3x damage (which I never saw, even with other melee weapons).
no amount of damage doubling can make up for the fact that bosses and end-game enemies necessitate high levels of mobility in order to avoid damage. I think it would feel fine if you could dodge roll out of the 'minus frames' after a strike, making it so melee users have to master the dodge roll, thus maybe adding some class identity to boot?
Spears and flails seem to be untouched by the weapon revamp, which is a shame since the nerf to broadswords would make them very much worth considering. If they do get revamped, I'd like to see spears maybe stay mostly the same as they are now, weak but accurate, fast, and usable while in the middle of a dodge roll. Flails would benefit very naturally from the changes to player momentum, they would feel more fun to swing around and the potential to get that 3x damage on top of their already high damage would make using them a valid choice.

Magic seems to basically be altogether untouched aside from the space gun (which was freakn' awesome!) and the fact that fire weapons now burn things and water weapons put out flames... I never tested it, but do cursed/shadow flame weapons set things on cursed/shadow fire that can't be put out? If so, that'd be pretty fun/evil!

The fire system was very fun to play around with in the early game, but the low damage of the DoT compared to hard-mode enemy HP makes it pretty useless in the end game.

Item suggestions:
-Metal Bow String accessories: (from iron all the way to titanium/adamantite) Makes your bow charge slower, but increase the damage of a fully charged shot and
makes it so you can hold that charged shot for longer. (The idea being that the player can choose how much speed they want to
sacrifice for power)

-Auto Reload Mechanism accessory: Makes reloading guns faster. (would be very mid-game, maybe the steampunker could sell it?)

-Ammo Drum accessory: Doubles the amount of ammo in a guns clip. 2x Ammo seems OP, but it's way more balanced than adding a flat number since weapons like the
Super Shotgun would only get one extra shot, and weapons like the BFOnyxBlaster9000 get no bonus. (Maybe the arms dealer could sell this
for a butt-tonne of money post Planterra?)

-Pyromancer's Tome accessory: All magic weapons deal more damage and make fire on impact. (made with a spell tome, magma stone, mage emblem, and souls of
night. would be ''''upgradeable'''' to a cursed flame version for only a smattering of cursed flames and souls of fright)

-Hydromancer's Tome accessory: All magic deals LESS damage, but put out flames. (made with a spell tome, water bucket, mage emblem, and souls of light.
would be upgradeable to a holy water version that can douse even cursed flames with holy water, more souls of light, and souls of sight)

-Master Ninja Gear/Tabi accessories: These accessories need to be overhauled, I think. the dash from the Tabi dash + evade chance + dodge rolling, I feel is a little too
much, so maybe these could increase the length of the dodge roll/make the dodge roll cancelable (by using a weapon) instead?

-VERY Illegal Gun Parts material: Hardmode version of the illegal gun parts only sold during full/blood moons. If the Auto Reload mechanism and Ammo Drum seem too
OP to just up and buy, maybe have them be craftable using this as a part of the recipe?

Enemy Suggestions:

-Goblin Pyromaniac: Goblin wielding a large torch that sets things on fire when it attacks. Shows up rarely in goblin invasions after Skeletron has been killed.

-Flaming Zombie: Zombie on fire that is immune to burning, sets things on fire then it attacks. Shows up rarely in bloodmoons after Skeletron has been killed.

-Clown: The old version of the clown with it's ability to break tiles restored. Can break soft tiles like dirt and wood, but not harder tiles like stone and brick.

These enemies may seem a little brutal, I feel they're fitting considering the tone of the mod. If the player is made to move and fight differently, why shouldn't they be made to build differently as well?

All in all, I think that the changes made by this mod would shine the most brightly in some kind of long adventure map similar to the ye-olde Red Cloud/Darksouls mod.
In the setting of an adventure map the player's power and progression speed could be finely controlled, allowing them to master the mods mechanics in an organic but very deliberate manner, as well as forcing the player to try out a variety of weapons that they wouldn't otherwise consider, and encounter situations they might not otherwise encounter.

So I just tried the new swimming mechanic for the first time, which was introduced in v1.0.3.

While it's in early stages right now, I'm enjoying it overall -- it makes water now seem much more like... water. Swimming up to the surface of a deep body of water is possible, but takes a bit of time and effort. This is a good thing, as it doesn't diminish the validity of swimming items the player can use later on (those which improve swimming ability). The animation still looks a bit too much like walking for my taste, but I'm sure that will be improved in the future.

The only thing that really frustrated me about it was trying to jump out of the water. As of right now, it's nearly impossible to do. While it's nice to not just feel like you're walking in thicker air like in vanilla, jumping doesn't work in water as it used to. So unless you have a smoothly-slopped exit, or some sort of land/block/tile near the surface of the water to jump off of, it's extremely difficult to get out if the surface outside is at a 90-degree cliff with a few blocks higher (or more) than the surface of the water. This makes fighting your way out of water or running away from anything in water far more deadly than it should be. Whereas before in vanilla, doing this was quite a simple process.

I think this can be remedied by allow the player to just jump a bit out of the water once at the surface of it, if this is possible. Otherwise though, loving the new mechanic!

@PolarStars -- Wait... unless I'm interpreting something wrong, are you saying you did an entire playthrough with Dual Wielding and Terraria Overhaul both enabled? These two mods are highly incompatible at this time, which has been stated early-on. Still having stubbornly trying to run both of them together anyway, the game immediately crashes whenever you try using using any weapons from the secondary slots. Despite all that, if you still got both of these mods to work somehow with functional dual wielding, that's... something. o_O

Otherwise great post, and I agree with the majority of what you've said -- albeit I haven't played through with the mod as long as you have.

Last edited:
@Lunatic Lobbyist Yep! I've had Dual Wielding installed and working perfectly fine since the beginning of my play-through with no crashes whatsoever!
I had no idea until now that people were having trouble with it!

Crazy... I wonder why it works for you -- so many have said it crashes their game. I'm running about 30 other mods (big and small) along-side this overhaul all with zero problems -- except for Dual Wielding... which does not play nicely whatsoever for me, even when I only run the 2 together with all other mods disabled. Can you tell I love both of these mods? ;)

Regardless, I'm sure Mirsario will find this interesting as well.

Dual Wielding works it's just well..... with the new character render, it looks like there's two instances of my character instead of one, one has the animated model and the one behind it is the vanilla character, it looks pretty weird but it's still playable.

This is a great mod, one of the best for sure! But I believe I found a bug. When I swap to the Demon Bow, my character model suddenly has no arms and bow isn't even there. It's small and doesn't affect gameplay, but just thought I'd point it out.

Attachments

• 20170803235035_1.jpg
    20170803235035_1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Ive tested it out and idk why but, my game seems to crash when kind slime teleports or when i kill the flying dutchman. Not sure why but when i disabled this mod it fixed the problem. This mod is absolutely amazing imo although not perfect I'd love this nod to be in all of my play throughs and can't wait to see the future of this mod :D

Dual Wielding works it's just well..... with the new character render, it looks like there's two instances of my character instead of one, one has the animated model and the one behind it is the vanilla character, it looks pretty weird but it's still playable.
Most of the problems people are reporting aren't so much minor visual issues, but complete CTD's -- aka it's completely unplayable. Like I said in an earlier post, I can technically use both together. Although after some time it'll eventually it'll crash my game the moment I try using the dual wielding functionality itself (seems a bit random), whereas neither of the mods crash for me on their own. Many others have reported immediate CTD's when trying to run the two together -- even the creator Mirsario has said they're incompatible.

Seems like those who have had some luck using them together have either been very lucky (maybe the CTD's only happen when using specific items; something like that), or just not using the dual wielding functionality as much. But that doesn't mean they're compatible.

This is incredible. I am looking forward to see how this develops further. Would love to see even more gore, if possible.

This is a great mod, one of the best for sure! But I believe I found a bug. When I swap to the Demon Bow, my character model suddenly has no arms and bow isn't even there. It's small and doesn't affect gameplay, but just thought I'd point it out.
It's some weird issue with arm textures being suddenly unloaded, or something like that. Re-enter your world.

So not sure if someone already had this, but nothing burns.
At all.
I put some wood blocks with a torch below them, torches below tree branches, even shot fire arrows around and nothing burned.
The torch thingy in the .json file is set to true.
I installed the mod from TModLoader, I guess that could be the issue? No other mods enabled.

I want to use this mod, but there is a problem where particles float in the air and follow the way camera moves, which is really annoying. Only other mod I have installed is Thorium.

Attachments

• damnit.png
    damnit.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 282
So not sure if someone already had this, but nothing burns.
At all.
I put some wood blocks with a torch below them, torches below tree branches, even shot fire arrows around and nothing burned.
The torch thingy in the .json file is set to true.
I installed the mod from TModLoader, I guess that could be the issue? No other mods enabled.
is "enableFireSystem" on true? are you in multiplayer?

Back
Top Bottom