Terraria State of the Game - January 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about Master Mode. What I am inferring from what little we know is Master Mode may be like Terrarian Dark Souls.

What is wrong with that?

It has been said Master Mode is just for those who want more of a challenge, i believe. If you don't like it don't play it when it comes out then, all there is to it really.

I love the game and it has great replayability as it is, but Journey's end seems like it will add more, which is nice.

All this talk about Master Mode. What I am inferring from what little we know is Master Mode may be like Terrarian Dark Souls.

What is wrong with that?

It has been said Master Mode is just for those who want more of a challenge, i believe. If you don't like it don't play it when it comes out then, all there is to it really.

I love the game and it has great replayability as it is, but Journey's end seems like it will add more, which is nice.
I shouldn’t be legally allowed to say that I’ve already beaten it just because the devs don’t want to do anything more than buff stats (I nohitted all bosses, therefore I get literally no unique content out of it unless they change the “nothing new” part of it.)

I shouldn’t be legally allowed to say that I’ve already beaten it just because the devs don’t want to do anything more than buff stats (I nohitted all bosses, therefore I get literally no unique content out of it unless they change the “nothing new” part of it.)
We don't know that there will be no unique content, or that it will just be a stat increase, all we know for certain at this point it that it will be for hardcore players.

This could mean a simple stat increase, or it could mean a behavour revamp for certain enemies, or it could mean something else entirely.

We don't know that there will be no unique content, or that it will just be a stat increase, all we know for certain at this point it that it will be for hardcore players.

This could mean a simple stat increase, or it could mean a behavour revamp for certain enemies, or it could mean something else entirely.
They said “nothing new”. I’m pretty sure that means that there will be nothing new.

They said “nothing new”. I’m pretty sure that means that there will be nothing new.
What is said and what is meant can be different things. That being said i am not familiar with the original post/mention of Master Mode.

Still we do not really know much beyond the fact that it will be more difficult.

I'm aware they've been working on it. I've been hearing it regularly for 7 months now.

You're wrong Loki, even when you come here saying that split screen is being released I will feel the same. My perception of PW, ReL, and 505 will be the same.

The damage is done. I spent $30 on a rushed port which didn't contain features as advertised. As always though, I appreciate your communications. They're fortunate to have you.

Understood and not unexpected. Regardless, will continue to press forward on those paths with all that I can influence.

I disagree with the notion that something being harder needs to be more rewarding. It's a bragging rights mode like how older games treated "hard" modes. Nothing more.

Also, while I understand not wanting to play it due to the lack of rewards, but.. if it had extra rewards, wouldn't people be upset that you have to play a "lazy stat bloated difficulty" just to get new, possibly essential items as well?
It's less that we want rewards, and more that we want new attack patterns so we actually have new things to see. Bry-ccentric and I in particular just wanted new attack patterns so the mode couldn't be considered just "expert mode but everything takes longer to die and you're punished for your mistakes more". That's not genuinely more difficult, that's just more unforgiving in the laziest way possible.

I honestly would prefer it if Master Mode was never a thing and instead they put that effort into balancing Expert mode a little more.
Yeah, I agree with you.
Expert mode should just be getting the Master mode updates (some of them at least) instead of just making it a separate mode. That way players could still get expert mode items WITHOUT making another world and playing in that too. Tweaks and changes would be really good in Expert mode since now that 1.3 is in mobile, the bosses seem kinda tough.
You act as if the two have to be mutually exclusive - working on master mode does not suddenly mean that they're never going to touch expert again.

This thread is full of people assuming they know exactly what Master Mode will be like, when in fact very little has been revealed. ReLogic have a pretty good track record with PC updates - I would reccomend that you sit back and wait until you're actually aware of how it will work.

And I got scared again

By no means am I assuming Re-Logic won't touch expert mode in this update, I'd be very surprised if they didn't actually.

Also Cenx did state in a discord post that Master will likely have no new content, so we're not going off of what we think will happen, we're going off what has been stated.

Last edited:
You act as if the two have to be mutually exclusive - working on master mode does not suddenly mean that they're never going to touch expert again.
I know this, but it doesn't really change the fact that I don't have any reason to touch master mode. I don't care about loot, I care about being challenged in ways I haven't before. If expert is updated in order to do this with the new update, then what's the point of master mode to begin with?

What is said and what is meant can be different things. That being said i am not familiar with the original post/mention of Master Mode.

Still we do not really know much beyond the fact that it will be more difficult.
I am pretty sure that means nothing new. It is said in both the video posted and the stream they did that it will not have changes. Expert mode itself could change but that still means nothing for master mode itself. "To curb your expectations" I believe is one way they put it. Also my displeasure comes from the fact that Master mode design was announced very late, later then the patch was originally suppose to come out. As it was my favorite of the few features shown.

This thread is full of people assuming they know exactly what Master Mode will be like, when in fact very little has been revealed. ReLogic have a pretty good track record with PC updates - I would reccomend that you sit back and wait until you're actually aware of how it will work.
And I got scared again

By no means am I assuming Re-Logic won't touch expert mode in this update, I'd be very surprised if they didn't actually.

Also Cenx did state in a discord post that Master will likely have no new content, so we're not going off of what we think will happen, we're going off what has been stated.
Yeah, as @Storm Diver_102 said, we are going on what is currently stated.
I’m aware that they might touch it again in this update but I am not certain, so we’re just making assumptions.

For those who don't want to watch a 10-minute "summary" video: Relevant snips from Discord:
Master Mode drops:
1580378151075.png

Release Date:
1580378192819.png

Desert:
1580378235069.png

Desert Biome Chest:
1580378287235.png

Stuffs:
1580378319038.png

Achievements:
1580378353711.png