Terraria State of the Game - January 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Loki
I know this is a dumb question, but is there any chance the game could add more official translations for languages than just russian, brazil portuguese, japanese, chinese (simplified), german, spanish, italian, french, and english?

I would hope languages like korean, irish, welsh, hindi, arabic, etc. would get translations. I would hope they would not be forced to learn one of the others just to play the game?

I would hope languages like korean, irish, welsh, hindi, arabic, etc. would get translations. I would hope they would not be forced to learn one of the others just to play the game?
Korean is probably a large enough market to be potentially worth it. Roughly comparable with Italian.
Irish and Welsh aren't. Basically every speaker of these languages also speaks English.
Hindi has a lot of speakers, but realistically, most of those who are rich enough to own gaming devices will also know English.
Arabic is complicated. There's a standard literary Arabic, but it's the native language of no one. Instead, there are around 30 different native Arabic language "dialects" spoken by various people from Northern Africa to Western Asia, and they're not necessarily mutually intelligible. Imagine if Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, French, Italian, and Romanian were all just called "Latin" instead of being known by their specific names; that'd be similar to what we have with Arabic today. Quite often, Arabic speakers will actually be better at reading English, French, or Spanish than literary Arabic; in the same way that a native Italian or French speaker will generally be better at reading English than at reading Latin.

@Loki
I know this is a dumb question, but is there any chance the game could add more official translations for languages than just russian, brazil portuguese, japanese, chinese (simplified), german, spanish, italian, french, and english?

We are looking into adding a few more around 1.4.5 - but likely won't cover your list. Language packs are a fantastic way (on PC at least) to fill the gap as well in the meantime - several great ones on the workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom