Texture Pack Terraria - The Simplicity Pack

What do you think of the texture pack so far?

• Total voters

_T1G

Steampunker
Hello! It's _T1G here, and today I decided to start something new and hopefully something everyone'll enjoy. This is a brand new texture pack I started called "Simplicity" - all the sprites are very simple, and somewhat retro in style. They lack most major color-blending and shading, but hopefully this'll turn out the way I expect :p

For an example, here's the item with ID 1, the Iron Pickaxe:
[Left is the original, right is the new]
0001 - Iron Pickaxe.png 0001.S - Iron Pickaxe.png

[Paused for a while. I accidentally lost the sprites I was working on ;-;]

Update #1 - Pickaxes [Release date TBA]

Thanks for reading and have a good day!

Last edited:
Hello! It's _T1G here, and today I decided to start something new and hopefully something everyone'll enjoy. This is a brand new texture pack I started called "Simplicity" - all the sprites are monotonous, and somewhat retro in style. They lack most major color-blending and shading, but hopefully this'll turn out the way I expect :p

For an example, here's the item with ID 1, the Iron Pickaxe:
[Left is the original, right is the new]
View attachment 139175 View attachment 139177
Usually, I'll complete a group of about 100 or so sprites before warranting an update - for example, the first release will likely be item IDs 1-99. Also, if possible, help is greatly appreciated!

Progress: 56/3,796 item sprites complete [0.014% completion]

Update #1 [TBA] - Item IDs #0001 - #0099
Update #2 [TBA] - Item IDs #0100 - #0197 [IDs 198-203 (Phaseblades) will be lumped into the third update]

Thanks for reading and have a good day!
This is very interesting, this will be very nice for people with old computers, or people just looking for a dead simple pack! Support!

I think this pack has a lot of potential, the main charm in this is the limiting color pallet so that some sprites aren't an eyesore, but I do have some criticism:

Simple doesn't mean you can't add shading, shading makes things look a little better, something simple can have some shading that gives it more depth and makes it look a lot nicer:
index.php
139338-c67be097e20363ff29ec2e75b7018444.jpg

I tried tweaking you sprite and added 2 more colors, that's all I really have to say

I think this pack has potential, and I look forward to seeing this grow!

Attachments

• SimpleIronPick.png
    SimpleIronPick.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 169
While I understand your ideas about doing simple shading, I had one thing in mind - to give it a more retro, 8-bit-like feel. If you think about it, did most games in the '80's have fancy graphics in mind? No, of course not - which is why most games from that time *cough cough* Super Mario Bros. *cough* had very simple sprites. (Then again, they had very simple TVs back then.) I'm trying to aim for the classic feel of old games in this texture pack. And yes, I do understand the sprites look monotonous, but didn't most games look like that at some point?

I appreciate the suggestion though, and I might experiment with it a little! ^^

While I understand your ideas about doing simple shading, I had one thing in mind - to give it a more retro, 8-bit-like feel. If you think about it, did most games in the '80's have fancy graphics in mind? No, of course not - which is why most games from that time *cough cough* Super Mario Bros. *cough* had very simple sprites. (Then again, they had very simple TVs back then.) I'm trying to aim for the classic feel of old games in this texture pack. And yes, I do understand the sprites look monotonous, but didn't most games look like that at some point?

I appreciate the suggestion though, and I might experiment with it a little! ^^
Then again if you wanted Mario Bros tier sprites, those involved dithering.

I'm closely watching this pack, whatever you chose to do with this I'll support.

It's an interesting concept, but why would I choose to have the second pickaxe over the first one, which obviously looks significantly better. Maybe if you added some kind of shading to it?

I've been experimenting a little bit with manipulating the sprites, and tested this.
On the left is Item 28 - the Lesser Healing Potion. In the middle is the one in the pack. On the right is a revised sprite.
Item_28_Original.png Item_28.png Item_28_Revision.png (hooray for transparency fails)

In the middle sprite, I did what I've been doing other sprites - picking one color out of their palette and making the sprite look monotonous as always.
On the right, however, I took the color of the bottleneck's outline and brought it all the way around - and made the original outline into a small stripe across the bottle. Which do you like better? Let me know!

Status update: Update #1 was done, but the majority of files got corrupted and broken and don't work right. Oh well, I needed to rework the sprites anyways

Would you be interested in having another spriter?

I started work on my own simplicity texture pack but then realized that you are doing the same exact thing.

Would you be interested in having another spriter?

I started work on my own simplicity texture pack but then realized that you are doing the same exact thing.
lol haha that's cool. and no, I wouldn't mind more spriters for stuff!

It really depends on what era of games you are trying to portray.
l8gP5DT.png Mega_Man_2_-_NES_-_Stage_Select.png chrono_trigger_ds-aug191.jpg

Back
Top Bottom