Biomes & Nature The Depression: A Land of Sadness (Alt. Corruption)

Do you like this suggestion?

• Totally!!

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • It's ok, But not the best (explain why)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Definitely Not!

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Rainbows!?

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Brick Creeper

Duke Fishron
Hello members of TCF!

Before I start I would like to thank @Snickerbobble, @Zoomo, @Vikri, and many others for giving me inspiration to make this biome! Thanks guys!

I know what you might be thinking, "Oh great, another Corruption alternate that will never be added to the game". I have to agree with you, there are currently a ton of infecting biome alternates. I also understand that this will never under any circumstances be added to the game (well, maybe... *winks in developers direction ;)*). The reason I created this was because I'm a big fan of biomes in general and wanted to test out my creativity. It's my biggest project so for so I hope you enjoy it!

"Making The World Gloomy"
Let's start of with a bit of Terrarian lore. A long long time ago, In a galaxy far far away there were two great beings. They both fought for control of the land called Terraria. One was the creater of the land, the other, Lord of the ocean, went by the name Cthulhu. Cthulhu, a greedy and despicable being, wanted the land all for himself. After many years of war the creator was able to defeat him. As his dying body feel towards the ground, Cthulhu shed a single tear. The body was left on the ground to rot, and become what is now the Crimson. Just like his body, the tear had a mind of its own. It slowly spread across the land, squeezing the joy and life out of anything it touched. This new evil was given the name, The Depression.

The Depression is land full of sadness and death. The grass is grey, void of any color. The trees are also grey, covered with pale leaves that droop towards the ground. The sky is covered in a blanket of dark ran clouds, creating an endless rain.

~Music Inspirations~
(Listen why you read!)
~Underground~
In the Depression, large caves spawn in groups with the shape of tears with the tops sticking out above the ground. Inside these caves Great Tears spawn which can only be destroyed with a hammer. When three are broken it summons the biome's boss.
Depressed Grass
Gray grass that droops toward the ground, Spreads the Depression.

Lugubrious Pedal
Herb found in the Depression, hangs from the bottom of Depressed Grass or Depressed Stone, blooms when it rains.

Melancholy Mushroom
A type of mushroom found in the Depression.

Weeping Willow Tree
Grey, leaning trees with pale leaves. Drops Willow Wood upon destruction.

Willow Wood
Grey wood covered in willow vines, dropped by Weeping Willow Trees.

Depressed Stone
Dark grey stone that's been worn away by centuries of tears, Spreads the Depression.

Depressed Sand
The grey sand the makes up the Depressed Deserts, Spreads the Depression.

Crying Cactus
A grey cactus. Very Boring

Grey Ice
Tears that have been frozen together by the cold, Spreads the Depression.

Gloomite
Info: The Depressions Metal, gives off a faint light, spawns deep underground.

Land of Eternal Sorrow
Painting sold by the painter when in the Depression for one Gold.

Depression Fountain
Fountain sold by the Witch Doctor for free.
Depressed Bunny
Sad, grey bunnies infected by the Depression

Depressed Goldfish
Sad, grey fish infection by the Depression

Weeper
Weeping Tree Spirits, Fighter AI,
Damage: 24
Health: 44
Defense: 9
Drops: Ancient Gloomite Armor, Greyscale

Mime
More powerful versions of the Weeper.
Damage: 32
Health: 50
Defense: 11

Bell Ringer
Sad Spirits of the Depression. Comes in small medium, and large varieties, Cursed Skull AI,
Damage: 29
Health: 48
Defense: 10

~Hard Mode~

Gloomslime
Slimes trapped within the Depression,
Damage: 60
Heath: 220
Defence: 24

Wail
Beings Made of pure grief, inflicts "Weak", Drops Vitamins,
Damage: 64
Health: 260
Defence: 16

Lacrimation
Beautiful Creatures made of crystalline liquid, Inflicts " Ethereal Tears", Drops Ethereal Tears,
Damage: 60 (melee)
Damage: 76 (ranged)
Health: 300
Defence: 28

Downcast Mummy
Mummies That morn their horrible fate, drops Megaphone, Dark Shard, And Blindfold,
Damage: 60
Health: 175
Defence: 20

Depression Mimic
Depression Biome Mimic, Drops Dart Revolver, Tear Hook, ...

Weeping Ghoul
Weeping Ghouls that reside in the desert, Drops Ethereal Tears and Dark Shards,
Damage: 62
Health: 230
Defence: 30
Willow Wood Tools
Info: Tools crafted from Willow Wood.

Death
Info: Sword crafted from Gloomite Bars.
Damage: 17
Knockback: 7

Fear
Info: Ax crafted from Gloomite Bars, 76% Ax power.
Damage: 20

Pain
Info: Bow crafted from Gloomite Bars.
Damage: 15
Knockback: 2

Shock
Info: Yoyo crafted from Gloomite Bars, drips damaging tears.
Velocity: 18

Anguish
Info: Picax crafted from Gloomite Bars and Broken Clay, 66% Picax power.
Damage: 10
Knockback: 4

Agony
Info: Spear crafted from Gloomite Bars and Broken Clay.
Damage: 13

Misery
Info: Flail crafted from Gloomite Bars and Broken Clay.
Knockback: 8

~Hard Mode~
Coming Soon!
Gloom and Doom
Info: Two large masks, one with a sad expression and one with a angry expression.
Summoning: Can be summoned by breaking three Great Tears or by using a Suspicious Looking Mask in the Depression.
Fight: In the beginning of the fight Gloom will float above you dropping tears that deal damage. When you bring him down to half health, Gloom will spin around reveling Doom who will spit fire balls.
Damage: 30 (Gloom) 38 (Doom)
Health: 1,000 (Gloom) 460 (Doom)
Defense: 12 (Gloom) 18 (Doom)
Drops: Gloom an Doom Mask, Gloom Trophy, Doom Trophy, Gloomite Ore, Lesser Healing Potion, Broken Clay
Downcaster
Info: The Depression's fishing pole, 23% fishing power

Salt Fish
Info: Material, Used in Anger Potions

Lacrimite
Info: Material, used in Duplication Potions

Maidmer
Into: Quest Fish
"There are stories of humans with the tail of a fish, but I once heard a story about a fish... with the legs of a human! I would love see the look an (name of drayad)'s face when she sees it walking all over her precious plants! Go find it for me!"

Depression Crate
Info: Obtained from fishing in the Depression
Depression Seeds
Info: Seeds bought from the Dryad during a blood moon, spreads the Depression.

Melancholy Powder
Info: Removes the Hallow, crafted from Melancholy Mushrooms

Lugubrious Pedal Planter
Info: Planter Box sold by the Dryad once Gloom And Doom have been defeated.

Greyscale
Info: Crafting Material dropped by mobs in the Depression.

Gloomite Bars
Info: Crafting Material made from gloomite ore.

Broken Clay
Info: Crafting Material dropped by Gloom and Doom.

Suspicious Looking Mask
Info: Summons Gloom and Doom, crafted from Greyscales and Melancholy Powder.

~Hard Mode~

Ethereal Tear
Info: Crafting Material dropped by Lacrimations.

Tear Water
Info: Spreads the Depression to nearby blocks, crafted from one Bottled Water, one Depression Seeds, and one Depressed Sand.

Flask of Tears
Info: Melee attacks inflict Ethereal Tears, crafted from 1 Bottled Water and five Ethereal Tears, fifteen minute duration.

Debuff: Ethereal Tears
Inflicted by Lacrimations, Lake of Tears, and Flask of Tears.
-Decreases movement and melee speed by 60%
That's all I have for now, If you have any suggestions do not hesitate to tell me. I will continually updating it when I have the time. If you would like to now when I do, please follow the thread!

I hope you enjoyed the Depression as much as I did making it. If you did, Please leave a Comment and remember to like! Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Since he can't post here, I'd like to post on his behalf: @CraftedNightmare Here! had a biome like this.

However, I wouldn't consider this a dupe, since it has original content, just saying.
I actually had no idea this existed, but I'd like to point out that that biome is fear and sorrow themed while this is depression and sadness. But I could see why you would think they are similar.

Last edited:
Not bad, but feel free to grab your thesaurus, as I see the word depressed far too many times. Here are some good words. Melancholy, lugubrious, depressed, disconcerted, woeful, doleful, disconsolate, downcast, despondent, crestfallen. These all basically mean sad or depressed, but there are also quite a few other good words out there.

Not bad, but feel free to grab your thesaurus, as I see the word depressed far too many times. Here are some good words. Melancholy, lugubrious, depressed, disconcerted, woeful, doleful, disconsolate, downcast, despondent, crestfallen. These all basically mean sad or depressed, but there are also quite a few other good words out there.
Thank you! I tried to use words that were easily understandable but ill see what I can do :)

If you plan on expanding this then I highly recommend finding a spriter to collaborate with... It's not that bad reading a few short paragraphs but a full blown biome suggestion is going to get tiresome without some visual aid.

If you plan on expanding this then I highly recommend finding a spriter to collaborate with... It's not that bad reading a few short paragraphs but a full blown biome suggestion is going to get tiresome without some visual aid.
I know, I asked @Milt69466 and he said to make the thread first.

This is looking good so far, can't wait for you to update with weapons and other such loots.
If you ever need some sprites, I'm willing to give some a go, although NPCs and mobs aren't my best.
I like this, and I can't wait for the nex update!

First Update!

~Update~
  • Fixed some Grammar/Spelling issues
  • Fixed some formatting stuff
  • Re-wrote certain parts
  • Added stats to the boss and mobs!
  • Added fishing section!
Thank you for you support and feedback! Ill try to get sprites as soon as possible! :)

This is really good! even though it isn't finished, it is still great! although, Doom has such low health. 4 Defence and 6 Damage more isn't much to half health.

This is really good! even though it isn't finished, it is still great! although, Doom has such low health. 4 Defence and 6 Damage more isn't much to half health.
I meant for it to be a slightly harder change than Gloom, but now that I think about it the stats are a little to low. I'll increase them slightly :)

Back
Top Bottom