Terrarian
The Hedgehog Sword
57 Melee Damage
Average Knockback (4)
Fast Speed (24)
9% Critical Chance
Auto-Swing: No
'Launches sharp quills in all directions.'

The sword fires 16 quills in all directions around your character. Each projectile does 14 damage.

Crafting: 3 Hedgehog Quills, 14 Cobalt/Palladium Bars; Mythril Anvil

Hedgehog Staff
23 Magic Damage
Extremely Weak Knockback (1)
Very Fast Speed (12)
Mana Usage: 6
4% Critical Chance
Auto-Swing: Yes
'Summons 2-4 non-piercing quills.'

Summons 2-4 quills in the direction of the cursor, similar to the Poison Staff.

Crafting: 6 Hedgehog Quills, 14 Cobalt/Palladium Bars; Mythril Anvil
(I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to Magic weapons. Please help! :))

Hedgehog
Forest Day
Hedgehog AI (Walks, jumps over holes, follows player. It will try to line up vertically first. Shoots quills at player occasionally. If it fails to reach its target, it will back up a bit, then re-attempt.)
Damage: 47 (Quills: 5)
Max Life: 170
Defense: 26
KB Resist: 70%
Coins: 5 Silver
Drops: Hedgehog Quills (1/10), Hedgehog Banner (1/200)

(I am not the best at making realistic, balanced stats for weapons and monsters. If it's unbalanced, tell me! :D)

Last edited:
For one thing, Hedgehogs need stats. (And I hope it doesn't go fas, plz no.)

For another, I'm personally against materials with only a single use.

Finally, this feels like a somewhat-gimmicky item that would be better suited for a mod than vanilla content. But that might just be me.

I decided not to go into detail on Hedgehogs because this isn't the correct forum.
If you have checked other suggestions this is not the case at all. If you actually are still against this then quickly make another thread about Hedgehogs and link that thread to this one.

I always bundle mobs and subsequent items as part of the same thread under NPCs & Enemies.

(I also bundle biomes and their subsequent enemies and drops under Biomes & Nature, but that's less relevant.)

I added stats for the Hedgehogs. I am tempted to make a 'Strange Blue Hedgehog', but that's for another post... :)

Maybe Porcupine is better? Since hedgehogs are small cute animals that are gonna be way better as critters or at least as pre-hm mobs.

I wanted to use Hedgehogs because there's a myth that they can shoot their quills. Also, in my opinion, Porcupines are just as cute. :)

One: Porcupines are cute, they're freakin' adorable.
Two: Why poison? As far as I know Hedgehogs don't have poison spikes.

Three: There is literally no difference between HC forest and softcore forest, so I do support the idea that there should be HC forest monsters but I think this enemy is a bit too powerful for a day enemy. It's stats should make it able to be fought back with relative ease, this thing is stronger than possessed armour plus it fires quills whenever damaged making it very painful for a player to attack it with melee.

Four: I too dislike the idea that it drops an item that only has one use, so why not a early hardmode set kinda like the spider set? Each Hedgehog has a 1/3 chance of dropping one quill, (And up the crafting requirements for the sword to be like 12 quills as well as nerf it so it's maybe as strong as colbalt or mithril.) as well as have a armour set for it. The armour set will be like an early HC melee armour and you shoot quills whenever you're damaged.

One: Porcupines are cute, they're freakin' adorable.
Two: Why poison? As far as I know Hedgehogs don't have poison spikes.

Three: There is literally no difference between HC forest and softcore forest, so I do support the idea that there should be HC forest monsters but I think this enemy is a bit too powerful for a day enemy. It's stats should make it able to be fought back with relative ease, this thing is stronger than possessed armour plus it fires quills whenever damaged making it very painful for a player to attack it with melee.

Four: I too dislike the idea that it drops an item that only has one use, so why not a early hardmode set kinda like the spider set? Each Hedgehog has a 1/3 chance of dropping one quill, (And up the crafting requirements for the sword to be like 12 quills as well as nerf it so it's maybe as strong as colbalt or mithril.) as well as have a armour set for it. The armour set will be like an early HC melee armour and you shoot quills whenever you're damaged.

I removed the Poison, nerfed Hedgehogs, and added the first of many more Hedgehog-themed items! :D

No no no, it's meant to be early HC so you have to remove the hallowed bars requirement XD
Also I was stating that there is no difference between HC forest and SC forest during the day, so I was supporting that the Hedgehog should spawn during the day, there are already enough HC night enemies.
The staff kinda removes the aspect of it being a melee, but eh, also I think it would better resemble the poison staff.

This is awesome! But the Forest during the day is your only safe space in Hardmode. So how about these things only spawn in the outer two thirds of the world? After all, most make their bases in the center of the world.

This is awesome! But the Forest during the day is your only safe space in Hardmode. So how about these things only spawn in the outer two thirds of the world? After all, most make their bases in the center of the world.

That would work too, but there are slimes in the day time forest in soft core, why not have slightly stronger enemy in HC that is still easy to defeat?

The sword does an INSANE amount of damage for its tier. The palladium sword does 36 damage while the hedgehog sword does 57! Not only that, it shoots 16 quills out that deal 14 damage.

Well I did say nerf it so it was as strong as colbalt or mithril, although I think just a little stronger than colbalt would be good.

Back
Top Bottom